No More Chores!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

No More Chores!

Post by Bren »

I don't know if anyone elese is struggling with this. But, for the last couple years I have found it so hard to juggle housework and the job. The holidays made it outright brutal. Has anyone found a solution for this? Even though I live by mself, I hate not being able to relax in my own apartment because of housework building up and lack of energy/motivation.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I hear you Bren! I like everything neat and tidy but hate the process of doing so. ;) About a year ago I listened to a couple of audiobook that helped me by reframing some of my thinking around chores and cleaning up. It wasn't magic or anything ;) but it was helpful. It helped me think of decluttering as a regular process of having less stuff I'm not using so I can enjoy the stuff I do use, and incorporating a few daily chores that keep things manageable. I know there's lots of programs and systems, but this felt different. The main idea is to get into the habit of doing the dishes, sweeping the floor, and doing a five minute pick-up each day so that you always have the basics done and feel better about less mess, which brings more motivation to tackle other projects as time permits. I think it really helped me to tackle my everyday clutter that I let build up. I will freely admit that I did really well for a few months and then let things start to slide again, but because I had cleaned out closets and cupboards etc. it's still not too bad. I find myself noticing clutter building up a lot sooner. I'd think, "One day when I have lots of time I'll do everything" but then I rarely had time and then when I did have time it felt like too much stuff and I did nothing. Getting into regular habits and feeling good about doing little things led to bigger positive change.

If you're interested, here's the blog from Dana K. White, the lady who wrote the books I listened to. https://www.aslobcomesclean.com/blog/

One little thing that I find inspires me - I usually listen to upbeat music when I do dishes. It makes it more fun when I'm singing along with the Mulan soundtrack or whatever. ;)

The other thing I'd say is cut yourself some slack - there's nothing worse than adding guilt on top of exhaustion! If you're having a crazy day, maybe you'll find it soothing to keep to a cleaning routine, or maybe you just need a day off from dishes. Do them the next day and get back into good habits, but don't let it control you if it's really been a tough day.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I normally listen to AIO when washing dishes. I set my phone nearby playing the episode really loud so I can hear it over the running water and clanking of dishes. And it actually usually takes almost a whole episode to do dishes, because I tend to go for a few days between getting off my lazy backside to wash dishes.

I recall that growing up, my dad would play the radio (probably smooth jazz or whatever you call that stuff) when we would clean out the garage once a year. It was pretty much the only time I would hear him playing music. So yeah, listening to stuff. Probably not stuff that's too deep, such as a podcast, because you'll miss things because you're focusing on the task at hand. Just that feel-good pop music that's probably too repetitive because I listen to the same stuff over and over like an 8-year-old.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

chores suck! and they only get harder once you have a one year old who is hellbent on destroying your house at all times lol. best thing i ever did was get a pair of bluetooth earbuds, so i can block out the world, put a podcast on, and get things done.
he/him | a little stinker.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

Starts rapping: "Chores are the hands that squeeze my neck, the twisted metal from an emotional car wreck! It's out like the bushel, or even the peck, I'm so glad my name's not Melchizedek!"
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

At this point it feels like by the time I get one thing cleaned up, something else is a mess. Somehow I gotta get the place looking decent.
ImageImageImage
logos linked