2020 Summer Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

2020 Summer Olympics

Post by bookworm »

Image Image Image Image

They start in one month! Who else is excited? \:D/

One year delayed due to covid, but as far as I can tell they are still officially branded as the 2020 Games.
This is the first time ever that the Olympics have been rescheduled; the only other ones to have their timing affected (three, during the World Wars) were cancelled.

Winter 2018 (PyeongChang), Summer 2016 (Rio), Winter 2014 (Sochi), Summer 2012 (London), Winter 2010 (Vancouver), Summer 2008 (Beijing), Winter 2006 (Turin)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Woohoo! I love the Olympics and I really hope that everything goes well, with safety and good health all around. I'm more invested in the Winter Olympics, between my personal sports preferences and Canada's medal odds being better in winter ;) but during the Olympics almost any event can be fun to watch! I'm planning to watch some diving and gymnastics for sure.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I too favor the Winter Games a bit more overall, but the events I like in Summer I really like so I'm very excited! \:D/
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

It's probably been 20 years since I've been interested in the Olympics, but this year I will tune in for one thing as rock climbing as been added to the games.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's cool! I hadn't heard about rock climbing. I'll have to try to watch some of that event.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:08 pm That's cool! I hadn't heard about rock climbing. I'll have to try to watch some of that event.
I'd recommend the whole thing, as the athletes are competing in three different events to be taken as a whole for the medal, sport climbing, bouldering (both of which I've done) and speed climbing (in my dreams). The three together is a difficult feat.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jonathan wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:48 pm
Catspaw wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:08 pm That's cool! I hadn't heard about rock climbing. I'll have to try to watch some of that event.
I'd recommend the whole thing, as the athletes are competing in three different events to be taken as a whole for the medal, sport climbing, bouldering (both of which I've done) and speed climbing (in my dreams). The three together is a difficult feat.
Okay, I'll look for it on the schedule once things start. That does sound really interesting and unique.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

They're underway! \:D/

It's weird how a few things start before the opening ceremony.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I noticed that softball was on already, though I'm not interested enough to watch. I guess for some things it makes sense to fit everything in, especially something that needs to be spread out over time like a softball tournament.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I've set up an Olympics channel in the Chatroom. With time zones and different networks there will be issues with spoilers and people won't all be seeing the same things, but I figured there's no harm in at least creating a channel so it's available if anyone wants to try using it. If no one does that's fine, real discussion should be here in the thread, but if anyone is interested you can join #Olympics for real time, if not live, reaction to what you're actively watching.
Monty_Whittaker
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Monty_Whittaker »

|Hey guys, they played these video game songs at the opening - here's the tweet with a listing - https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/statu ... 0019706881
Resident JRPG nut
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

bookworm wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:34 pmAn animatronic Godzilla had better be part of their opening ceremony. Not a joke. It would be epic if it lit the cauldron with that energy blast, but there's no way that would happen. But it needs to be out walking around for sure.
Genuinely disappointed. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Minato, you must be a big video game fan!

Haha, sorry bookworm. I'm sure Top will join you in crying Godzilla-sized tears over this one!

I have the Olympics on right now while I check my email and do my assorted online stuff. I was busy all day so I'm just watching whatever CBC is showing. Especially for the summer Olympics, I find that if I watch, I'm interested and enjoy it but if I'm busy and miss, I don't really care that much.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:35 pmHaha, sorry bookworm. I'm sure Top will join you in crying Godzilla-sized tears over this one!
Holding out hope he'll show up in the closing ceremony.

Godzilla omission aside, I thought the opening ceremony was pretty good. The drones were cool, I was hoping they would do more with them. I liked the living pictograms; they're such an integral part of the Games that I'd never given a second thought to before, nice homage to their original origin here. I've seen some Kabuki and some jazz piano, but never would have thought I'd see them combined; very unexpected but I was into it. Neat cauldron design, but once more back to one that's down in the stadium and can't be seen from outside which is supposed to be the case so as a traditionalist I'm slightly disappointed.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I actually missed the opening ceremonies due to family commitments and haven't gotten around to watching the highlights yet. One day.

Last night I had fun watching the women's 4 x 100m freestyle swim. The announcer was quick to say that Australia had the gold all locked up already, so I decided to cheer Canada on to silver...which they got! It's so fun to watch your country win a medal live. The US was super close behind to get bronze so silver felt like even more of an achievement. I love that excitement that comes with cheering the team on by yelling at the TV in the comfort of one's living room. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Skateboarding makes its Olympics debut and the host country earns the first ever gold medal.

After Team USA earned no medals in day one, a Summer Games first since 1972, they had a flurry of success in the pool and jumped to the front of the total medal count.

The broadcast mentioned these are the first Games since 1996 without Michael Phelps swimming, which made me realize that it's the first time ever since I've been aware of what the Olympics are and watching (my first was Turin 2006) where he isn't competing. That's pretty surreal.

First ever USA medal in individual fencing! And it's gold! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched a little bit of skateboarding and found it more impressive in the slo-mo replays, when I realized that the stuff they were doing was pretty cool. At live speed the details were lost on me. The amount of falling was a bit much for me for a sport I am not super interested in with no Canadian contenders.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I didn't realize until watching the parade of nations that Russia is banned (at least in name). The IOC ban had just been for the PyeongChang Olympics, but I forgot that last year the World Anti-Doping Agency issued its own four year ban. It was later reduced to two years, but covers these Olympics and Beijing 2022.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yes, I forgot about that too until I noticed the ROC listing with the Olympic symbol instead of a flag next to some swimmers the other day. I do like the strong stand against doping. I might feel differently if I was Russian ;) but I hope it sends the message that it won't be tolerated.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I found out they have a second Olympic cauldron outside, so the disappointment I mentioned earlier is lessened.

Shocking letdown in men's basketball as USA loses their first game, ending a 25 game win streak going back to 2004.

Did you see them have to restart the men's triathlon because a boat was in the way of half the swimmers? #-o

The Dutch cyclist who had that horrific crash in the Rio Games got silver here, good for her.

Japanese siblings in judo become the first brother and sister to both win gold at the same Olympics.

US women's gymnastics finished second in team qualifying for the first time in over a decade. Still easily into the final, but for the first time in a long time not looking untouchable.

Japan takes the first women's skateboarding gold as well.