2020 Summer Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The lack of Godzilla is an affront to the Olympics and will not stand! But yeah they tend to do pop cultury things so its a shame to leave him out. :(

Apparently Nintendo was going to be a part of it but they backed out, even though Mario was prominent in the thing from five or however many years ago about the 2020 games being held in Tokyo.

I didn't watch any Olympics this year, though. Although I should break out the Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games game to see if it can entertain my child and me.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I do wonder how much of the ceremonies were changed from their initial visions due to the pandemic restrictions. Both seemed to be really scaled back from what you would usually expect and we know the content was nebulously changed during the year delay, but we don't know what the original plans were so can't tell in what specific ways. But yes based on their brief preview segment at the last closing ceremony I would assume there must have originally been much more pop culture infusion planned, until they maybe decided that wasn't the right vibe to go with at this time.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:14 am Apparently Nintendo was going to be a part of it but they backed out, even though Mario was prominent in the thing from five or however many years ago about the 2020 games being held in Tokyo.
I hadn't heard that Nintendo backed out. Maybe they thought it would look bad because some people thought the games shouldn't happen, or were worried people with widely ranging views on Covid would assume they were taking a stance in a way that might be bad for business? That's interesting.