Horse Racing 2021

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Horse Racing 2021

Post by bookworm »

After all kinds of covid craziness last year we're back to the usual schedule! Image

Discuss developments in the new season of races here!
I plan to live chat each of the jewel races and the finale in the main Chatroom channel #aio if anyone else is watching them and wants to come by. All are on NBC.

Image Kentucky Derby - May 1stImageImage Preakness Stakes - May 15thImageImage Belmont Stakes - June 5thImageImage Breeder's Cup - November 6th

Previous years: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, earlier
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't watch horse racing. I'm just here to compliment bookworm on the awesome use of trophies! :D
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I always enjoy watching the races every year, but i dont usually know too much going in. any interesting names this year?
I am confused
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Medina Spirit upsets the favorite to give Bob Baffert a record setting 7th Kentucky Derby win! =D>
Great race, and an impressive result. There weren't really major expectations for this horse, it's a good story!

15:28 bookworm: Derby time!
15:28 bookworm: Back on the first Saturday in May, as it should be. :)
15:42 bookworm: Riders up!
15:43 bookworm: Call to post
15:54 Brownie quit
15:58 bookworm: Loading the gates!
15:58 bookworm: Go Medina Spirit
15:59 bookworm: They're off!
16:01 bookworm: It's Medina Spirit!!
16:01 bookworm: Sensational run!
16:02 bookworm: Record 7th Derby win for Bob Baffert! \:D/
16:04 bookworm: 4th win for jockey John Velasquez
16:13 bookworm: The favorite finished fourth
16:20 Dan_in_Trank_Tank joined #aio
16:20 bookworm: 1/2 length finish, closest since 2005

Catspaw wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:44 pmI don't watch horse racing. I'm just here to compliment bookworm on the awesome use of trophies! :D
Ha, thanks. I made those icons a few years back to add some flair to these posts since each race's trophy is so distinctive.

E II wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:46 amI always enjoy watching the races every year, but i dont usually know too much going in. any interesting names this year?
I haven't heard any predominant buzz around any certain horses like there are some years this time around, seems like a really wide open year.

I always root for the Baffert horse in the Derby, then going forward I root for the Derby winner in hopes of a Triple Crown. This year those two interests will be the same going to the Preakness! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I was rooting for Hot Rod Charlie, since I have a Charlie. :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Hold up, Medina Spirit failed the post race drug test and could be disqualified pending examination of a second sample. At the moment he is still expected to run the Preakness.

Several of Baffert's horses have had these issues suddenly come up recently, but the suspensions have been reversed after appeals or further investigation. Hoping this one will similarly be resolved because it would be awful to have that great race taken away from the team if they didn't do anything wrong. And I do believe they didn't do anything because they know they're the most famous and most scrutinized stable in horse racing, especially lately, if they tried anything at all untoward it would definitely be found out. That this is repeatedly happening to the same trainer would seem to show something is definitely going on here, but the wins being reinstated after getting more information would seem it's not the fault of the stable. I don't want to think there's a targeted conspiracy going on to take down their horses or something like that, but it's really strange.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard about the drug test on the radio this morning! Crazy. You clearly know a lot of background info, bookworm.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Forgot to mention that the substance in question isn't even illegal, it just has to be cleared before the race. Also the levels being detected are so minuscule it's clearly not being used to actually drug up the horses, for a performance benefit, or there would be a lot more in the sample. It's simply a contamination of a trace amount that's coming from somewhere. Hope they can find out where, this is bad for the whole sport not just for Baffert.

Edit:

The steroid (which, again, is legal to use) was found to unknowingly be an ingredient in medicine the horse was given in the days leading up to the race. If that is determined to be the source of the minuscule amount the test picked up then as expected it was unintentional contamination as a side effect of legal behavior. 21 picograms (one trillionth of a gram) had no effect on race performance so the matter should be resolved in regard to stable reputation. Honest mistake and everyone can move on, likely avoiding any further issues of this sort in the future as I'm sure now they'll be hyper vigilant about anything being done to the horses and triple checking all ingredients of anything they come in contact with ahead of time.

I'm not sure whether this will affect the disqualification from this particular race however; I don't know how their arbitration works. The past decisions being overturned makes me hopeful they could take a similar action here. Each track manages affairs independently though, and Churchill Downs may think they need to set a firm example here since they are the most prestigious. Choosing making a statement over being reasonable wouldn't be the right thing to do in this circumstance, in my opinion, but we'll see what happens.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, it does seem like it would be very unfair to penalize such a tiny amount, but I can see how they might want to make a statement to make sure that no amount is tolerated. It sounds like it didn't actually improve the race performance, so it sure would be a tough way to be disqualified if they stick with it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Another upset! Rombauer takes the Preakness with an incredible burst down the home stretch!

15:29 bookworm: Preakness Stakes!
15:29 bookworm: Medina Spirit is currently co-favorite
15:30 bookworm: Baffert's other horse is second favorite
15:30 bookworm: Meaning after the tie, not the other co-favorite
15:39 bookworm: Riders up
15:40 bookworm: Call to post
15:42 bookworm: Oh cool, first American Pharoah offspring to run in a Triple Crown race. (Ram)
15:52 bookworm: Loading the gates!
15:52 bookworm: The foreign horse is having an issue
15:52 bookworm: Seem to remember that happening a year or two ago too
15:53 bookworm: They're in
15:54 bookworm: They're off!
15:56 bookworm: Wow
15:56 bookworm: 11-1 Rombauer came out of nowhere in the final stretch!
Edit:

And the favorite wins the Belmont, but it was a close call until the very end.

15:38 bookworm: Belmont Stakes time!
15:40 bookworm: Call to the post
15:51 bookworm: Loading the gates
15:51 bookworm: They're off!
15:54 bookworm: Wow
15:54 bookworm: Great race!
15:54 bookworm: Neck and neck the whole stretch until the very end
15:54 bookworm: Essential Quality pulls out the win!