What did/do you do on long car rides?!?!?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

What did/do you do on long car rides?!?!?

Post by The Top Crusader »

We took our daughter on her first actual vacation trip that amounted to more than a couple hour round trip (about 6ish one way this time), and she did a good job because she could just play on a tablet and stuff.

BUT BACK IN MY DAY when I was her age I went half way across the country with nothing but a COLORING BOOK! NOT EVEN ANY CRAYONS! :x

The coloring book trip was when I was like 3 or 4, once I was older I eventually had a Walkman cassette player so indeed listened to lots of Odyssey and probably Michael W. Smith and DC Talk and rando John Williams musical scores. And eventually that got upgraded to a Discman and so on--but the main thing was always just listening to AIO or music.

So anyway what did you do to pass the time!? I am assuming considering the board this is, that there was some Adventures in Odyssey listening maybe. Game Boy?! Reading?! Games with other passengers!? Looking at BORING FIELDS out your window?! TIGER HANDHELD ELECTRONICS!?!?!? Making truckers honk their horn at you?! TELL ME!!!!!! :x
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

To stave off boredom and arguments my brother and I would bring books, magazines, etc and read.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Mainly AIO and reading here. Naps on the 15 hour trips. Then usually games like Ham, Mustard, Donut or 20 Questions with the sibs. Scavenger hunts printed out that we had to find things as we drove. Everyone claimed a color of car and we counted how many we saw. White always won, but I never wanted to pick white because it was too boring. :P
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Lots of AIO! We listened to other kids music and Michael W. Smith and G.T. and the Halo Express and other stuff, depending on what age range us kids were in. We loved listening to Radio Theatre as well.

We played car games sometimes but I seem to recall that we got tired of those pretty quickly. I remember keeping track of license plates that we saw and trying to see every state plate on one trip.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah my brother and I looked for Slug Bugs occasionally so we could punch each other but that only lasts so long--plus he's quite a bit older so I had a lot more trips as an "only child."

I think we'd maybe try to find license plates for every state or something but after ten minutes of pointing out the same state (whatever state we were in at the time) over and over it lost its allure.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I'm a bit younger than a lot of the other commenters here, but I grew up fairly low-income, so our road trips were simple. I remember reading a LOT of books from the library. Encyclopedia Brown and the Boxcar Children were my jams. When I turned 12, I got a cheap Memorex MP3 player, so that became my main source of entertainment. It was also a big deal when a family friend gave us their old portable DVD player. Pretty sure we watched Chicken Run on that little 5" screen on every single family vacation for at least 6 years.

Now I drive on the long car rides. Or make my wife drive so I can nap. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I remember reading a lot, and playing memory games, and looking at the paper map because this was back before smartphones. I'm old. :-(
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Drive and sleep at the same time! \:D/
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I actually talked to my family a lot in those old trips and read so many books.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Dr. Watson wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:59 pm Drive and sleep at the same time! \:D/
I can confirm this.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 pm
Dr. Watson wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:59 pm Drive and sleep at the same time! \:D/
I can confirm this.
Is there a story that goes with this that we should hear about?
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Catspaw wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 pm
Laura Ingalls wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 pm
I can confirm this.
Is there a story that goes with this that we should hear about?
No! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Except to say I'm glad to still be alive!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I am glad that you are both alive and that there is obviously no interesting story here at all.

One of the best parts of long car rides was snacks! I didn't think of that earlier because I was thinking of car games and listening to stuff, but eating was entertainment too. My dad would pack licorice and mini chocolate bars and stuff like that. No worries on the health side of things - my mom brought fruit. ;)
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm packing for a trip now. Going to buy drinks/snacks for it! Does anyone have any favorite road trip drinks/snacks?

It seems like most of the time I typically work, sleep, or drive on long car rides. And maybe a little reading.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I associate Twizzlers with road trips. My dad loves licorice and he passed that on to me. ;) It's great in the car because it isn't messy like chocolate can be, especially in summer. I hope your trip goes well, Danadelfos!
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

We used to play the license plate game, but that always got ugly because someone would spot a good license plate and then NOT TELL ANYONE until it was out of sight. :x Other than that, I read a lot. We listened to lots and lots of AIO and Radio Theatre. We sang Jingle Bells in the middle of summer if we really wanted to annoy other car occupants.
Danadelfos wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:46 pm I'm packing for a trip now. Going to buy drinks/snacks for it! Does anyone have any favorite road trip drinks/snacks?

It seems like most of the time I typically work, sleep, or drive on long car rides. And maybe a little reading.
I used to love eating goldfish crackers on road trips! They're such a great snack. You just have to make sure you have plenty of water. Which becomes its own problem... I also like having a few apples or clementines, because sometimes it's nice to have a healthier option than pre-packaged snack foods.
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

"I went to the zoo and I saw", keeping track of what license plates we see, talking about random things. Odyssey, music, audiobooks, and podcasts while watching the scenery. We watch movies and play games too. I love waving at people while we pass them and counting how many people wave back.
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.