All Things Sleep Related

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

All Things Sleep Related

Post by Bren »

With all the quiz type posts going on in social media, I thought one pertaining to sleep might be fun and maybe produce some discussion.

Do you have a sleep routine? Not really.

Do you bathe before or after sleep? Shower once I get up

Night owl or early riser? In my teen years I was quite the night owl. Unfortunately, my 4:30 am shift dictates that I get a few decent hours of sleep. 💤

Back, side, or stomach? Side and stomach for sure

Deep or light sleeper? I used to be a deep sleeper. However, in recent years, my mattress hasn't been conducive to that.

Fan? How is this even a question? Absolutely!

Do you need an alarm? I'm late without it. Actually, I'm late with it. 🤔

Phone alarm or alarm clock? I got to where the light of a clock hindered my sleep, so phone it is.

Did I leave out something that you feel compelled to answer? Feel free to include it with your answers.

Code: Select all

[b]Do you have a sleep routine?[/b]

[b]Do you bathe before or after sleep?[/b]

[b]Night owl or early riser?[/b]

[b]Back, side, or stomach?[/b]

[b]Deep or light sleeper?[/b]

[b]Fan?[/b]

[b]Do you need an alarm?[/b]

[b]Phone or alarm clock?[/b]
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Do you have a sleep routine?
Yes! Make tea. Drink 10% of tea. Read book until feeling slightly tired and then sleep in kind of this sleep position.
Lie on your chest with your head on a pillow and facing to the right. Both arms should be straight by your sides, palms up. Now bring your right arm up until the top of your right hand is under your pillow and under your head. Next bring your right knee out to that side until it is bent at approximately 90 degrees.
Except I generally face to the left. And then I pray while I fall asleep.

Do you bathe before or after sleep?
I don't really have a set schedule. :anxious:

Night owl or early riser?
Early riser.

Back, side, or stomach?
Side

Deep or light sleeper?
Deepish?

Fan?
In the summer.

Do you need an alarm?
Normally no. At least not lately. I've been waking up before my alarm the last few weeks.

Phone or alarm clock?
Sunrise alarm clock. It's the best! Or, if I forget to set it before I get in bed and I'm too lazy to get up and set it, Alexa.

I really wish I could control the temperature in my room. I'd love to have a room that got a little chilly when I was falling asleep and then slowly went up in heat so I didn't wake up feeling cold in the middle of the night. Something for a dream house?
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

More or less. Usually go to bed around the same time during the workweek (10:30ish), a little less rigid when I'm off but usually midnight-1am.

Usually moreso after work but I guess that's closer to "before sleep." I instantly feel gross and itchy once I'm in bed if I haven't showered within a few hours before. >_>

Night owl by nature but I adjusted to early riser for my current (and former) job, so I can go either way. Left to my own devices with no responsibility I'd definitely be a night owl.

Back, side, or stomach?

Usually start on my back but cycle around until I'm asleep. So nothing specific.

Deep or light sleeper?

Used to be super light sleeper, but one thing my current early work schedule has done is put me in a deeper sleep.

Fan?

Yes, for years and years and years, but my fan just died a few days ago. :mecry:

Do you need an alarm?

Usually not, but since I definitely have to be at work on time I set one as a precaution. I am up before it goes off almost all the time, though.

Phone or alarm clock?

It's an ancient radio alarm clock that will probably go the way of my fan soon. I should really just use my phone. Plus if power goes out, etc. >_>
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Do you have a sleep routine? start facing left, then roll around a lot

Do you bathe before or after sleep? before, i hate sleeping dirty

Night owl or early riser? im still young, so at this point im a night owl, but i can be an early riser if a need to be

Back, side, or stomach? side. is there any other answer?

Deep or light sleeper? fairly deep. I've also been told that i am quite a hearty snorer.

Fan? not usually, only in the summer when my room gets very hot

Do you need an alarm? usually. after a while i dont, but i for sure do if i dont usually wake up at that time.

Phone or alarm clock? i used to have an alarm clock, but it broke, so now i use my phone. its usually charging like 3 feet from my head, so the message gets across.
I am confused
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

Do you have a sleep routine? Not really.

Do you bathe before or after sleep? Before

Night owl or early riser? Night owl normally, but I'd prefer to be an early riser probably.

Back, side, or stomach? All 3 O:) I fall to sleep best on my stomach though.

Deep or light sleeper? Apparently deep sleeper according to my siblings :p But I think it really depends on what night and what time during the night.

Fan? Never. Why would you want a bunch of noise to keep you up? :noway: Actually though, in the summer I'd be more likely to use one to drown out the noise of our neighbors silo \:D/

Do you need an alarm? If I want to get up at a certain time.

Phone or alarm clock? Phone.
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Not a sleep routine but a hair routine. My hair must be brushed and braided to prevent tangles and Sir rolling on top of my hair and trapping my head in one spot all night.

I prefer before because I never blow dry my hair and it gives my hair a chance to dry before being seen by people.

early

Back, side, or stomach?
This depends upon my cats and sinuses. Is a cat promising to sleep on my chest? Then I'm on my back. Is my nose clogged? Then my nose is clearing becomes my only goal.

Deep or light sleeper?
How dare you ask about my weight!

Fan?
No, nothing at all.

Do you need an alarm?
Yes

Phone or alarm clock?
Phone. I gave up on alarm clocks because I can only see a few inches in front of my face without glasses so I can't see the time on them.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Kinda...I put the kids down to sleep, then my husband and I may watch a short show, then we both write emails/check Instagram/play games on our phones in the dark before agreeing that it's getting way too late and we should probably go to sleep now. :P

Before, I don't have time to shower in the mornings before the munchkins are awake and clamoring for help. So I always grab my showers after they are all in bed for the night.

Night owl or early bird?
I'm more of a permanently exhausted pigeon.

Back, side, or stomach?
Side, most of the time. Sometimes I wake up on my back, but that usually makes my back hurt.

Deep or light sleeper?
Lightish, since I'm always listening out for my baby, but when I'm especially exhausted I sleep deeper.

Fan?
Fan for white noise, not to be blowing on me.

Do you need an alarm?
If I need to be up at a certain time to get to an early appointment, yes, otherwise the sun and/or babies wake me up.

Phone or alarm clock?
My phone if I need to set an alarm. But I also have a large number clock by my bed so my ridiculously nearsighted self can tell what time it is if I'm up in the middle of the night.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Some of these answers are interesting.
radgeek wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:32 am Do you have a sleep routine?
Not a sleep routine but a hair routine. My hair must be brushed and braided to prevent tangles and Sir rolling on top of my hair and trapping my head in one spot all night.
I wondered how long it'd take for hair routines to enter the conversation.
KnittingFun14 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm Fan? Never. Why would you want a bunch of noise to keep you up? :noway: Actually though, in the summer I'd be more likely to use one to drown out the noise of our neighbors silo \:D/
Fan is life though. :yes: For me it shifts between being a cooling thing or white noise?

How do the kiddos do with bed time? @The Top Crusader @Laura Ingalls

Does anyone use melatonin? I haven't used it enough to know how well I'd benefit from it.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Bren wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm Does anyone use melatonin? I haven't used it enough to know how well I'd benefit from it.
I Have used melatonin in the past, and i find it very effective. if i ever am having a hard time sleeping because i don't feel tired i find that it helps immensely. it might be a bit of a placebo, but it works :anxious:
i also used it when i used to work nights to help me feel tired during the day, otherwise i had a bad habit of staying awake all day. I find that its not something that knocks you out or anything, it simply helps you feel a bit tired so you can sleep easier, at least in my experience.
I am confused
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bren wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm

How do the kiddos do with bed time? @The Top Crusader

It was pretty bad for a long time, but has gone better lately. >_> For the most part. Maybe like once every week or two it takes an extra hour or so to get her to get sleepy, but that used to basically be daily. We cut out naps, though. Which generally kids her age I think mostly still take, but man she was just wired until midnight if she had a short nap in the afternoon, so while on super rare occasion she'll pass out on her own and then I'll let her sleep, we stopped attempting naps and its made bedtime way easier.
Does anyone use melatonin? I haven't used it enough to know how well I'd benefit from it.
I use whatever generic sleeping pills but I think they are more chemically than melatonin. I generally just use them to "reboot" on Sunday night, going into the early morning work week again, or on a rare occasion where I just don't feel tired at all in the evening but know I need to get some sleep.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Bren wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:03 pm
How do the kiddos do with bed time? @The Top Crusader @Laura Ingalls
My 3 boys do pretty well. Two oldest are in beds, youngest boy is still in a crib...older ones know bedtime means to STAY IN BED. Middle boy goes to sleep almost right away...I think he kinda still needs a nap in the afternoon, but he refuses, so he is tired out at night. My almost 5 year old and 2 year old tend to take a bit to go to sleep, talk back and forth sometimes, or just sit and look at books until they fall asleep.

My baby will go to sleep easily at the beginning of the night, but I am still getting up with her like 4 times a night. Not a good sleeper at all.

But I mean....how could you be upset with this face?
IMG_20210105_213513_032.jpg
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Do you have a sleep routine? Not particularly.

Do you bathe before or after sleep? It depends. If I feel unusually grimy I might do it before. Otherwise, my bathing schedule is largely dependent on other conditions. For Sunday mornings, I usually shower whether I took one the previous night or not.

Night owl or early riser? It can be erratic, but it's fair to say that I tend to be up later at nights and later in the day.

Back, side, or stomach? I alternate between back and side, depending on how my frame feels. When I was younger I used to sometimes be a stomach sleeper, but now that I'm older and have developed more breathing issues I don't typically do this.

Deep or light sleeper? Light-medium.

Fan? Usually, although if it's cold (like in the last winter storm) I may not.

Do you need an alarm? Not often. I don't typically like setting one even when I do need to get up at a certain time, because then instead of going to sleep, I lay there anxious about the alarm.

Phone or alarm clock? Usually neither. The rare times I do decide to use an alarm, I've probably used my phone more because it's easier (or what's available - for example, on road trips), but I'm sympathetic to a traditional alarm clock. I have one somewhere that my sister used to use. The only trouble with it is that it has to be plugged in, and consistent power sources can be hard to come by when you have a cat.