Super Bowl LV

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Super Bowl LV

Post by bookworm »

ImageImage   Image   Image

ImageImageImageImage

Discussion thread for Super Bowl LV, Kansas City Chiefs vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers!
February 7th on CBS at 6:30 PM ET.
  • In their first season with Tom Brady at quarterback Tampa Bay ended a 13 year playoff drought and is making their second Super Bowl appearance.
  • This will be Brady's record extending 10th Super Bowl appearance and his first not with the Patriots. He will be seeking a record extending 7th Super Bowl win.
  • The Buccaneers will be the first team in NFL history to ever play in a Super Bowl at their home stadium.
  • The Chiefs are trying to become the first repeat champions since the 2004 Patriots.

Be sure to come by the Chatroom party in #NFL to live chat the game while you're watching! Or just come hang out even if you aren't watching! If you're at a real life party and aren't able to watch and chat at least try to check in at some commercial breaks or halftime!

2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2006
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched a bit on and off, between doing other things and reading a book. I made sure I watched the end of the game and waited past all the talking to get to the trophy presentation. I'm not much of a football fan. The last few years I've hosted my dad and brother for the game, which wasn't possible this year, so it sure was a lot quieter in my house with nobody yelling, "Did you see that?!" at the TV. ;) No Dad, I didn't really see it because I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure it was very exciting.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:37 pmNo Dad, I didn't really see it because I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure it was very exciting.
Actually, it was not exciting. At all. It was a massive flop of a game; even the tv commentators were calling it out by the end for not getting even close to living up to the hype. Incredibly disappointing finale to the season.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I only watched the highlights. :/ It seemed like the Buccaneers defense just crushed Mahomes. But I guess I couldn't really tell since it was just the highlights.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's definitely true that the TB offense was the only one that did anything. How much credit you give for that to their defense versus how much was due to this being one of the most one-sidedly officiated games I've seen in years can be debated.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:27 pm
Catspaw wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:37 pmNo Dad, I didn't really see it because I wasn't paying attention, but I'm sure it was very exciting.
Actually, it was not exciting. At all. It was a massive flop of a game; even the tv commentators were calling it out by the end for not getting even close to living up to the hype. Incredibly disappointing finale to the season.
Haha, sorry, I guess it made more sense in my head. My dad often says, "Did you see that?!" after an exciting play (in football, hockey, whatever), often without requiring that much of an answer. He didn't actually say that to me about this particular game, since we didn't watch together and he actually had a different obligation and I don't think he watched at all. He isn't a big NFL guy anyway - he usually just watches the playoffs.

I did watch enough of the game to get the idea that a lot of people had predicted a close, exciting game and this did not meet that expectation. ;)
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

bookworm wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 am It's definitely true that the TB offense was the only one that did anything. How much credit you give for that to their defense versus how much was due to this being one of the most one-sidedly officiated games I've seen in years can be debated.
Ah, I did notice that. That was huge, all the holding calls against KC.. I can only really base my opinion off the highlights so I don't really know. From the way the highlights were edited it just looked like Tampa Bay's defense were all over KC's wide receivers. But maybe that was due to them not being called for holding as much as KC's corners? Also, I noticed a few big drops by the receivers where it really could have swung the momentum of the game the other way. It looked like KC had given up by the middle of the 3rd quarter just watching some of the players.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There were definitely several key KC drops, and the TB defense showed up big, but there were multiple game changing flags that were all without question wrong calls (not just bad calls, flat out wrong) and all benefited the Buccaneers.

A phantom holding call that negated a Tom Brady interception (there was lots of contact but no holding anywhere, plus the extension was by the TB player so if there was any penalty on that play it was offensive pass interference) so instead of KC having a chance to take the lead the TB drive continues and they get another touchdown. Pass interference called on KC on an endzone pass that was 100% uncatchable so by rule interference is not possible, putting the ball at the one and giving TB another touchdown. No flag on the blatant pass interference by TB on that insane horizontal throw by Mahomes that somehow actually found a receiver at the goal line. (The game may have been too far gone by this point for it to make a difference, we'll never know, but TB got that call you have to be consistent.)

Tampa Bay certainly looked like the more ready team, they may have still won a fairly officiated game, but at the very least it would have been much more competitive and a much better game to watch. And if that interception wasn't atrociously called back and KC takes the lead there I really wouldn't be surprised if it would have played out very differently. The way this game was officiated the outcome was all but set before they even got to halftime, it had to get in the heads of the players and affect their mindset.