Quarantine Cooking!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Quarantine Cooking!

Post by EK »

How’s everyone doing as far as cooking 2-3 meals a day at home?

I live right in the city so going out to eat had become an every other night or so ritual for me, but now that I’m forced to cook every night I’m finding a lot more use for my kitchen. Tonight I have a chicken and shrimp gumbo stewing on the stove as we speak. The culinary skill points I’m getting are off the charts.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm not much of a cook, so your supper plans sound pretty impressive to me, EK! Way to go!

I've been doing some easy things like chicken fingers and rice, pasta, egg salad sandwiches, etc. I have been known to eat cereal for a meal if I'm feeling particularly lazy. ;) I have also made a few easy things like pudding and Jell-O with fruit in it that I've had the ingredients for but just never made for whatever reason. No four-course gourmet meals are in my culinary future. ;)
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

EK wrote:How’s everyone doing as far as cooking 2-3 meals a day at home?

I live right in the city so going out to eat had become an every other night or so ritual for me, but now that I’m forced to cook every night I’m finding a lot more use for my kitchen. Tonight I have a chicken and shrimp gumbo stewing on the stove as we speak. The culinary skill points I’m getting are off the charts.
The only sad thing here is that there were no pictures shown to make us all jelly.

I've been calling my mama for recipes. I was missing the food she used to make when my siblings and I were younger. It doesn't taste exactly like how she'd make it (Mama's Magical Touch and all) but it's still really good so I'm happy. Tomorrow I'm gonna make chicken in my instant pot. It'll be an experiment of sorts so I'm hoping it comes out well. FINGERS CROSSED.
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I have literally only been baking. I first made basic vanilla cupcakes and cream cheese frosting to go with them. Then I made brownies from a recipe Kaida found on TikTok. They didn't come out that great. They tasted like they had too much cocoa powder. :shrugs: The most recent thing I made was chocolate cupcakes. They were probably the best thing I made so far. Oh and all of it was from SCRATCH. No, boxes of premade mix. :noway:
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Cereal for a meal can be amazing, especially when we can’t keep track of what hour it is these days.

I’ve been doing a bit of baking too lately! I find I can make like 2 or 3 big muffins in the air fryer with ease and minimal ingredients, there’s so many options for baking too.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I don't eat out that much, so it's not too big of a change for me. BUT, I will say, baking is so much fun! Especially trying new recipes! \:D/

Homemade soft pretzels with cream cheese spread is SO GOOD. Fresh out of the oven is a MUST! :drool:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Whoa, those look amazing, snubs! I totally believe that they taste great. Some of you are making me that I wasn't so lazy. ;) Maybe I'll make cookies one day. I have ingredients that I buy when I think I'll do some baking, but then I usually don't bother. :anxious:

Kaida, I know what you mean about how getting a recipe from your mother isn't the same as getting it to taste as good as hers! My mom almost never follows recipes as written, which doesn't help when trying to duplicate it either. ;)
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

As the wife and I just bought a house (closing in two weeks!!!!), we have been living off casseroles. It seems to be the cheapest way to keep our costs down. I must say after a month....we are both a little tired of casseroles. We did do date night last month, in that we dressed up, carried out food and then had an inside date.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Congrats on the new house, SWA! \:D/ I can see how you might be tiring of casseroles.

I've been eating chicken burgers this week. I had a box of frozen, breaded chicken burgers in my freezer the last few months, so I bought a bag of hamburger buns, cooked all nine burgers in the box, and proceeded to eat one or two a day almost every day this week. I put honey dill sauce on them, which was so amazingly good. I had never done that before on chicken burgers, and I will totally do that again. I will wait a while before eating so many chicken burgers in a row, but I can honestly say that I wasn't sick of them, even as I was eating the last one! :yum:
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Catspaw wrote:I'm not much of a cook, so your supper plans sound pretty impressive to me, EK! Way to go!

I've been doing some easy things like chicken fingers and rice, pasta, egg salad sandwiches, etc. I have been known to eat cereal for a meal if I'm feeling particularly lazy. ;) I have also made a few easy things like pudding and Jell-O with fruit in it that I've had the ingredients for but just never made for whatever reason. No four-course gourmet meals are in my culinary future. ;)
I'm the same, Catspaw! I make pasta and eggs and occasionally a bowl of cereal. And then I run out of ideas. Or patience.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Danadelfos wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I'm not much of a cook, so your supper plans sound pretty impressive to me, EK! Way to go!

I'm the same, Catspaw! I make pasta and eggs and occasionally a bowl of cereal. And then I run out of ideas. Or patience.
Y'all should get an instapot. There are several dump and go recipes online. Super easy.
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Kaida wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:

Y'all should get an instapot. There are several dump and go recipes online. Super easy.
Maybe I should. I just don't want another thing I'll never use. I already have a CrockPot that I got as a gift that I never use.

I actually just bought myself an egg cooker, which always seemed silly to me because it's easy to hardboil eggs in a pot on the stove, but my sister claims that her eggs are super easy to peel when she uses her egg cooker, and peeling hardboiled eggs is my least favourite part of eggs. I'm hoping that it lives up to the claim!
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

No longer quarantined really but LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL FOOD I MADE TODAY.
Credit: Kayeff for recipe
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That looks super yummy! Is that cheese on top?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

It's the cheesy sauce :mrgreen:

Pengwin: This mac and cheese is mac and CHEESE
#ForeverKitty
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Haha, nice! That sounds super yummy. The more cheese, the better! :drool:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

EK wrote:
I live right in the city so going out to eat had become an every other night or so ritual for me, but now that I’m forced to cook every night I’m finding a lot more use for my kitchen.
Door Dash, bro.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

So now that I know this thread is here I'll be updating this as we go. Last night Sir made deep-dish Pizza with pepperoni, peppers and mushrooms.

I do have some food recipes if anyone would like them.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

I have made 10 dozen cookies in less than a week. That is all.
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Connie G. wrote:I have made 10 dozen cookies in less than a week. That is all.
You're making the IMPORTANT food!
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: