Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Coronavirus

Post by bookworm »

I guess it's time to make a thread about this. Obviously one of the biggest news stories in recent history, and only going to keep evolving. Today all of a sudden the US reaction has really exploded. #Costco on Twitter is crazy right now.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

This is definitely a big story. In a place with few infected people I don't worry a lot about myself personally, but I do worry a bit in general and how it's impacting people around the world. I hope things level off soon.
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

I think the media is blowing it up quite a bit. The answer seems to be waiting it out in your house with a bunch of toilet paper... :(
It's not that big of a deal.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Here in North America it might not be as big a deal as some people are making it. Worldwide, it is. Even here in North America there are major events being cancelled, so there is a significant impact.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is absolutely crazy. Entire countries are shutting down, cities nationwide are banning public gatherings of anywhere from over 1,000 people to in some places as few as 250 people, sports events are being played without anyone in attendance or getting outright cancelled, universities all over are preemptively closing and only having online courses. I think this is truly an unprecedented type of event. The closest thing you can compare it to is the swine flu pandemic some years ago, but it's not even in the same category as that anymore. The public panic level of the two was the same, but that had nowhere near the actual official reactions and global consequences this has had, and it would appear we're still only in the beginning of whatever is going to unfold.
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

I will not argue that there is not a Coronavirus out there. But I will say that the media is blowing the whole thing up. It's not much more than the flu.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The NBA just suspended the rest of the season. Wow.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm watching some NHL hockey (Oilers vs. Jets) and they announced the NBA's decision to postpone the rest of the season after a player tested positive. :mad:
Crazy stuff. I did not expect that. I can't help but think that other leagues will follow suit, especially a league like the NHL that actually shares some facilities with the NBA. I don't want to see that happen, but of course nobody wants to see infections spread like they have in some other countries either. It's hard to know what the best path is, but it's hard to blame organizations for trying to be cautious when you hear global numbers of illness.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No one saw a suspension coming; they had just that morning had an owner meeting that decided they would probably start playing games without fans league wide (one team had already decided to do it on their own) but after a player got it I guess they had take even more drastic response.

Tennis is now suspended as well for at least six weeks. The NBA could definitely be the first domino of everyone now following suit once one league officially did something. Yesterday it was announced March Madness would be completely without fan attendance but I wouldn't be surprised if they just cancel it now. I really hope they don't, but if it's the right thing to do they have to.

This is an ongoing timeline of developments divided by sport which is interesting to follow.

-- 12 Mar 2020 09:32 am --

Major League Soccer just suspended for 30 days. This could be the end of sports, period, for a while.

-- 12 Mar 2020 10:01 am --

NCAA conference tournaments getting cancelled by the minute. I don't see any way March Madness goes on.

-- 12 Mar 2020 10:40 am --

And the NHL has just been suspended.

-- 12 Mar 2020 02:22 pm --

March Madness is cancelled. Not even postponed.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Craziness. I keep listening to the radio and reading articles and getting more and more emails from companies about cancellations or their cleaning procedures or that you will be asked to leave the store if you sneeze (no, seriously), and I'm trying not to freak out. The logical part of me is definitely in conflict with the "join the crazy train" part of me. ;)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I totally understand cancelling/postponing events and gatherings. We wouldn't want what has happened in China and other places to happen here. But I'm still not "freaking out" about it. No matter what situation, we definitely should not panic. I'm more so alert, and being cautious. I am concerned to a degree, but mostly for people like my parents and other older people and immune compromised individuals.

Though, it's not the greatest that I work with the general public every day and am in close contact constantly. :boohoo: But I've just been washing my hands more often and being careful to not touch my face. Which is really all I can do, and is the best thing anyone can do.. and should be doing during any "flu season."

I was interested to see if Liberty University was going to cancel the Audio Drama Convention they are hosting next week. (Katie Leigh and Phil Lollar are gonna be there!) But as of today, they are still moving forward with it. The University (as of now) is operating normal. We currently have 19 confirmed cases that I'm aware of, and I believe only one in my area specifically.

I think it is good to stock up on some essentials in case you have to stay home for a while. But I don't think it is necessary to go hoarding all the toilet paper! :panic:

I'm just wondering how much this will grow/spread (in the US/Canada) before it starts dying down.
Last edited by snubs on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

the US/Canada has been reallllly delayed in its reactions, tbh, although here in the Netherlands it also took a while before they decided yesterday to ban all gatherings of over 100 people (which means all musuems, large bars, clubs, concert halls, etc. are closing down). but they've still been quite slow here compared to other countries i think. it's not the end of the world, but it's definitely causing a riot...and I think it makes sense to try to slow down the spread so that healthcare systems aren't overwhelmed

that said, the U.S. has been laughably slow with rolling out testing >.>
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So it's not just March Madness, the NCAA has cancelled all championships from the ones currently in progress through anything upcoming all the way to and including the College World Series. That seems like a real overreaction; that doesn't happen until June. Depending on how all this plays out they may still need to make that decision then, but I don't think they needed to decide it already now.

-- 13 Mar 2020 08:23 am --

Also the remaining XFL season is cancelled, golf and the Boston Marathon are postponed, and MLB spring training ended early and opening day has been pushed back at least two weeks.
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

I will admit that it is worse than I originally thought. But I still think people are waaaayyy overreacting. (not to mention the toilet paper part) Although it seems that anyone who is under 40 years old is relatively safe from dying from corona, it is still our duty to not be rash and make stupid choices that could lead to us being carriers of the disease to other old people.
Here's a vid I found that should comfort all those TP hoarders out there... :roll:

snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Marvin D. wrote:the U.S. has been laughably slow with rolling out testing >.>
I agree. It's rather ridiculous and frustrating. Like.. do they not see how dangerously fast it has been spreading. Sheesh. :boohoo:

There are now 30 cases around where I live as opposed to 19 as of yesterday.

Here is a video I found informative.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's so eerie to scroll through my sports app and see every event with either cancelled or suspended by it in red.

Outside of sports, Broadway has shut down and Disney parks are closed.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

A2Z wrote:I will admit that it is worse than I originally thought. But I still think people are waaaayyy overreacting. (not to mention the toilet paper part)
Ditto that. To show how seriously I'm taking this very serious thing, I got together with friends on Friday and played the board game pandemic while drinking an adult beverage named Corona \:D/

It's serious, but the death rate is under 2% in America and most certainly lower than that with all the unknown cases out there. Yes, it's serious, but the panic is way over done. Take precautions, and live without fear.

edit
bookworm wrote:Outside of sports, Broadway has shut down and Disney parks are closed.
Here any event with more than 100 people is banned, schools are closing, and the music scene, which is a big thing in the Twin Cities and that I'm heavily involved with outside of work, has ground to a halt.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jonathan wrote:
bookworm wrote:Outside of sports, Broadway has shut down and Disney parks are closed.
Here any event with more than 100 people is banned, schools are closing, and the music scene, which is a big thing in the Twin Cities and that I'm heavily involved with outside of work, has ground to a halt.
Same thing is happening here, no gatherings over 100 people. Also, I got an email today saying they postponed Sonic Con, so.. that's a bummer. :boohoo: But, better safe than sorry.
Last edited by snubs on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I know its just a matter of moments before Wrestlemania is cancelled, and that is the true pandemic. :(

A doctor a city over made this informative video that seems pretty even on not being overly panicked but also not saying its a liberal scam or something.

https://vimeo.com/397657805
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm not panicking about the virus itself, but I am getting quite concerned over the direction this country is going. Cracking down on gatherings, government ordering everything to close....ummmmm...I'm not comfortable with how people are so willing to just go along with giving all these emergency powers to the government! If you want to voluntarily refrain from going to large gatherings, that's one thing, but for it to be outlawed is another.

And I'm not trying to be insensitive to those who are higher risk...I have a Granny who is 91, a FIL with heart trouble, and I am higher risk myself being pregnant. But I am also not willing to hand over our liberty so quickly and easily. People should follow common sense precautions, wash their hands, avoid people who are sick, etc, just like any other virus.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.