Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Has anybody tried a Starbucks drive thru lately? Maybe it's just my area, but the lines wrap all the way around the block. It's INSANE!
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I've only been to a Starbucks drive thru once and that was before this all went down. The line was super long then, but not long enough to stretch that far out of the parking lot. It seems the Starbucks in my area always have people in the drive thru and this virus just made their drive thru lines even longer since no one can go inside.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Well, it seems Georgia is the guinea pig for the reopening, hooray, at least we have the CDC... I guess.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

You've got some company. South Carolina and Texas are both moving that way. Minnesota will be undertaking a very slow one starting next week.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

i find it slightly worrisome that in the US, where coronavirus didn't get going until much later, is already re-opening before countries that were affected more heavily weeks before (like France, Spain, or here in the Netherlands) >.>
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

With so many Americans on the verge of rioting over the alleged suppression of their freedoms, governors are in a tough spot here. The folks with their torches and pitchforks ready to go need to take a cue from my girl TS and just calm down. We'll get through this. But we need to be patient. It's not about you and your rights. It's about all of us.

[now please don't fight me--I'm just smol and insignificant and rarely get political]
*hides*
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

ByeByeBrownie wrote:With so many Americans on the verge of rioting over the alleged suppression of their freedoms, governors are in a tough spot here. The folks with their torches and pitchforks ready to go need to take a cue from my girl TS and just calm down. We'll get through this. But we need to be patient. It's not about you and your rights. It's about all of us.

[now please don't fight me--I'm just smol and insignificant and rarely get political]
*hides*
I saw a headline on the opinion page of a local paper that read "Don't protest the lockdowns, protest the overreach." Nice sentiment, however the problem is they've become one and the same, if only mentally. Here in MN for example, there hasn't been much overreach (outside of the city of Minneapolis, but that's on the city and not the state), but people are still rearing to go because of things that have happened elsewhere.
Marvin D wrote:i find it slightly worrisome that in the US, where coronavirus didn't get going until much later, is already re-opening before countries that were affected more heavily weeks before (like France, Spain, or here in the Netherlands) >.>
Worth noting that the virus hasn't treated every country equally. Nor here in the US has it treated every state equally. Each locale has different data to interpret and make decisions based off of. The US shouldn't be making decisions based on what is happening in Spain, nor should South Dakota be making decisions based on what's happening in New York.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

As someone working with the public, I am in awe of the local inability to read posted signs. People will walk right past a closed restroom sign and still use it. They also take great pleasure in trying to open a food warmer that is taped shut due to cancellation of self serve.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bren wrote:As someone working with the public, I am in awe of the local inability to read posted signs. People will walk right past a closed restroom sign and still use it. They also take great pleasure in trying to open a food warmer that is taped shut due to cancellation of self serve.
Haha, it sounds like you're having some interesting days, Bren! Oh dear. As someone who previously worked with the public, I know this is nothing new, but in some cases is more serious now because some of the signs being ignored are for safety, not just convenience. On the other hand, people are stressed and sometimes we act out of habit without even realizing that it should be obvious that what we are doing doesn't make sense....like people trying to open a taped case!

I think we are also suffering from signage overload. I'm not saying that they aren't needed or necessary, but I've been in some businesses that have four different pieces of paper taped to their window with info, and after a while it just becomes too much, or becomes background stuff to people, and they stop paying attention. Not saying it should happen, just that it isn't too surprising.

I agree with Jonathan about different areas being hit differently, and there's a huge range of population density etc. across the US (and Canada too.) Some things make sense to be consistent on, but it isn't reasonable for all the details of any one plan to fit huge cities and rural areas etc. across a big country.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

The shelter-in-place order for me has ended. There's no more restriction on travel around the county or wearing face masks in public. They only recommend you only travel for essential things and that you continue to wear face masks. I'm not sure about the individual stores themselves requiring face masks. Some businesses are still closed by the governor's order and others like restaurants are allowed to reopen their dining area, but several are refusing to do that.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I hate to brag, but I went grocery shopping today and bought toiler paper. \:D/ The shelf was full, which was nice to see. The store was limiting it to one package per customer, which is fine.
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

Catspaw wrote:I hate to brag, but I went grocery shopping today and bought toiler paper. \:D/ The shelf was full, which was nice to see. The store was limiting it to one package per customer, which is fine.
OH SNAP. Yeah the toilet paper seems to have come back some where I'm at. Hand soap is still hard to find
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm pretty sure they are gonna start opening things back up very soon. Like people being able to eat in instead of just having take out. But it's hard to say, that could still be a couple weeks (or more) out. A few colleges around here have announced they will be opening up for the fall.

As of today, my state has 15,846 confirmed cases with 552 deaths. And last I heard there was 58 cases in my area directly. Most of the cases are in the northern part of the state.

#DaPowerPaws
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

As of today Australia has 6,801 confirmed case with 95 deaths and 5,817 people recovered. My state has 551 confirmed cases.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I think the regional agreements that the west coast states, some east coast states, and a group of states in the Midwest have separately agreed to is a good idea. Basically, they're opening/closing together, using shared metrics among the states.
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
Kaida
Whale you be my friend?

Post by Kaida »

aussie aio fan wrote:As of today Australia has 6,801 confirmed case with 95 deaths and 5,817 people recovered. My state has 551 confirmed cases.
ALERT ALERT. AUSSIE AIO FAN HAS ESCAPED THE COUNTING TOPIC.

That's a lot of people that have recovered! Awesome!
I like chocolate milk. - Cheese
#ForeverKitty
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Someone put a lot of creativity into this! :lol: He has a great voice. I'm a little traumatized by a couple of the costumes, but other than that... ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Hercules is underrepresented in Disney parody videos; I was pleased to see it included here, and it was a great adaptation. "I can social distance" is brilliant.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Southern Illinois is a vastly different animal than Chicago, so we are kinda starting to go by our own rules. Locally, barber shops are reopening by appointment only, and some churches are back to indoor services. Law enforcement said they won't do anything

Just hope these slow signs of normalcy dead ToO in our near future.
ImageImageImage
logos linked