Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I'm sad to report that the COVID caught up with me. Last Wednesday I ate what turned out to be some very hot (to me) salsa that burned all the way down. It has given me fits for a week. Triggering a gag reflex on the regular, I initially thought part of it was my winter sore throat that hadn't reared its ugly head. But, when the body aches started yesterday I wasn't willing to chance it and my rapid test today was positive. I'm off work till the 29th.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that, Bren. Good for you for getting tested to make sure you don't spread it to others. I hope that you only have mild symptoms and that you're back to good health soon.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Well, I have been on the other side of being contagious for about 2 weeks now. So far I've had 2 lingering affects. I get tired easily. Also, it has my eating habits all out of wack. Some foods don't taste right, and in some cases I can't eat much.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm glad that you're mostly better, Bren! I hope that the other stuff goes away soon. The food one sounds annoying, and getting tired easily must make it very hard to work. :(
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

In past, this forum has always been a place for me to rant about stronger feelings that I'm too meek to post on social media... permit me this continued indulgence. :P

My family has always had a conservative/anti-government lean, but my grandparents were doctors, and so we were medically informed. I remember hearing about weird "anti-vax" outliers in the homeschool community growing up, and that very concept never made sense to me; I just assumed it was some very fringe thing and never gave it any thought.

Fast forward a bunch of years and I'm finding it impossible to resist a growing mental fixation on what on earth is happening inside the heads of friends and acquaintances that I would otherwise call very level-headed, wonderful people. I can't stop thinking about my wife's best friend who thinks the vaccine will make her infertile (I'm seeing this particular falsehood more and more often). I can't stop obsessing over how on earth my buddy's mental priorities can be ordered in such a way that a marginal loss of "personal freedom" is somehow of greater concern than the reality of friends and family becoming deathly ill.

What is the root of this? Is it simply fear of the unknown? (People without medical degrees hearing falsehoods about things they don't personally understand anything about?) Mixed in with an underlying mistrust of practically any governmental authority?

Up here in rural, western Canada people are starting to inanely compare proof of vaccination cards with racial segregation orchestrated by Nazi Germany. It makes me cringe just writing that, and it makes me want to cry if I think about it too long. How can anyone have such a depreciated value of actual history or reality?

If you're out there and you can answer any of these questions for me... be a hero. I'm tired of thinking about it all so much. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I hear you, jelly, on a number of things. It is hard to look at someone who has so many wonderful qualities and wonder exactly what they are thinking and how they got so far from widely accepted medical advice. I always try to remember that people have reasons for what they believe, and even if they don't make sense to me, they make sense to that person. For some people I know, they have past family history (a few generations back) of religious persecution, which is why their ancestors came to Canada, and they seem to be very sensitive to any perceived infringements on their freedoms. I can respect where they're coming from; however, I can't agree with their conclusions and choices that can potentially impact so many lives. I agree that any kind of comparison between the Holocaust and temporarily not being allowed to eat in a restaurant are troubling.

Sorry, that didn't answer any of your questions - just a note from a fellow Canadian saying you're not alone.

For a lighter take on the issue, I enjoyed this Daily Bonnet article! I assume that most (all?) ToOers are not familiar with the site, so just to be clear - it is a Mennonite satire site. It is often hilarious; it is not "real news."
https://dailybonnet.com/new-edition-of- ... an-church/
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Catspaw wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pm For some people I know, they have past family history (a few generations back) of religious persecution, which is why their ancestors came to Canada, and they seem to be very sensitive to any perceived infringements on their freedoms.
This awareness helped me a lot when having a difficult conversation the other day with someone with a Mennonite heritage. I think it's easy for me as someone who had little difficulty parting ways with some of my parent's beliefs and "figuring things out for myself" to balk at people that are still tied to that older, traumatic mindset, but it was good to have a conversation with someone who is still strongly influenced by their parents and grandparents worldview (for very good reasons!) and understand why this matter of getting vaccinated was tied to a much deeper emotional conflict.
Catspaw wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pmSorry, that didn't answer any of your questions - just a note from a fellow Canadian saying you're not alone.
Thank you Catspaw. :hug: I'm honestly very grateful, especially since I know you historically keep your own opinions out of potentially controversial topics.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

jelly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am
Catspaw wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pm For some people I know, they have past family history (a few generations back) of religious persecution, which is why their ancestors came to Canada, and they seem to be very sensitive to any perceived infringements on their freedoms.
This awareness helped me a lot when having a difficult conversation the other day with someone with a Mennonite heritage. I think it's easy for me as someone who had little difficulty parting ways with some of my parent's beliefs and "figuring things out for myself" to balk at people that are still tied to that older, traumatic mindset, but it was good to have a conversation with someone who is still strongly influenced by their parents and grandparents worldview (for very good reasons!) and understand why this matter of getting vaccinated was tied to a much deeper emotional conflict.
I'm glad that perspective was a helpful lens for you. I think some people are not even aware that some of their reactions may stem from things unrelated to the actual issue but past trauma or past generational trauma. I try to understand or respect where someone is coming from, and separate that from agreement with the actual view or reaction. Not saying I do it perfectly but for me it helps.
jelly wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am
Catspaw wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pmSorry, that didn't answer any of your questions - just a note from a fellow Canadian saying you're not alone.
Thank you Catspaw. :hug: I'm honestly very grateful, especially since I know you historically keep your own opinions out of potentially controversial topics.
No problem. Maybe sometimes I've been too risk-averse. I could really relate to your post and just had to share that. :hug:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Queen has it...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Ugh, Covid.

I’ve been booster’d and still caught it twice. (The second time with the booster, the first time just with the first two doses.) The first time I believe was the delta variant, which I 100% guarantee I caught at the Kanye show in Atlanta late last year. (Probably shouldn’t have gone, but my irrationality got the best of me.) The second time was just recently with the omicron variant explosion we had.

I’m glad I got vaccinated though, or I’m assuming my symptoms could’ve been way worse, the first round landed me in the ER and they treated me with Regeneron, which worked wonderfully. The second time is was more of just a cough with some sniffles.

I never got the taste or smell thing but with the delta variant my eyes turned bloodshot red and my vision was blurry, it was disconcerting because I thought the blurred vision was going to be a long term effect. All good now.

There’s going to be another huge explosion of it before it’s all said and done I think. The politicizing of vaccines and masks is extremely damaging to the public health. I’ve been doing some contract work at the CDC campus here in Atlanta and the level of caution even within the confines of the CDC has really dropped off a cliff. Masks are required but half of the time you barely see anyone with them, and to get on campus the only precaution is a small “yes/no” questionnaire ( https://www.cdc.gov/screening/)

I know we’re all sick of it, but assuming a deadlier variant pops up, we could be straight back in the weeds in a month or two. It’s sad to think about the deaths that could be prevented.