Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I am not really happy that they are delaying elections in Ohio now... that seems like a bad thing. >_>
MonkeyDude
Processing

Post by MonkeyDude »

Every store in my town is completely out of bananas, which makes up like 50% of my diet (Oh the irony), and I'm a litttttle grouchy.
*Finger guns aggressively*
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

I will be the only human person on my floor in the office tomorrow, and I'm pretty sure I will go craaazy. O.o
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is absolutely insane. Gathering limits are now ten people; it's not law officially but that's the new recommendation and could very well start being enforced in the future.

At this point, as morbid as it is to 'hope' the virus is indeed extraordinarily deadly, you have to be hoping this isn't an overreaction because if it is... I mean there's just no way to process the disruption that's been caused on a scale never seen before in history if it's truly unnecessary.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:This is absolutely insane. Gathering limits are now ten people; it's not law officially but that's the new recommendation and could very well start being enforced in the future.

At this point, as morbid as it is to 'hope' the virus is indeed extraordinarily deadly, you have to be hoping this isn't an overreaction because if it is... I mean there's just no way to process the disruption that's been caused on a scale never seen before in history if it's truly unnecessary.
Whether it is "highly deadly" or not, the whole point is to slow down the infection rate as to not completely overwhelm medical facilities. So if we walk away from this without much impact (mortality wise), we did good. However, this is already putting a huge toll on the economy. =|
Laura Ingalls wrote:I'm not panicking about the virus itself, but I am getting quite concerned over the direction this country is going. Cracking down on gatherings, government ordering everything to close....ummmmm...I'm not comfortable with how people are so willing to just go along with giving all these emergency powers to the government! If you want to voluntarily refrain from going to large gatherings, that's one thing, but for it to be outlawed is another.

And I'm not trying to be insensitive to those who are higher risk...I have a Granny who is 91, a FIL with heart trouble, and I am higher risk myself being pregnant. But I am also not willing to hand over our liberty so quickly and easily. People should follow common sense precautions, wash their hands, avoid people who are sick, etc, just like any other virus.
I agree. But I mean, I really don't think people are going to adhere to a "strong suggestion and urgency" to practice social distancing and common courtesy/hygiene/precautions through this. But again, I agree about it being unnerving.

I saw someone say that how people are reacting to the coronavirus is scarier than the coronavirus itself. And I have to agree, I would hate to see how everyone would act during an even more dire situation.. very scary times we live in.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

My view on it...
If government orders do no go against God's Word, do what they say.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The hoarding is really annoying and unnecessary. I went to multiple stores to find baby wipes with no luck. Found a website that sells adult diapers and things and ordered wipes, hopefully they actually ship and arrive. >_>

Supermarkets here technically have food but its picked over. Since the rumor is we will all be asked to shelter in place for two weeks, I picked up some random canned soup, etc, but "good" stuff was pretty much gone. They had a huge selection of canned wax beans left which amused me. \:D/ Frozen food, too... wanted to get easy stuff that the child will typically eat, but the chicken nuggets and such were wiped out. Got the last bag of chicken patties, figured they are close enough.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I went to Walmart yesterday and Meijer today. Think Walmart on a massive dose of steroids for those who do not have a Meijer in their area. Both stores are slowly starting to get paper towels, bread and other scarce items back in stock. The one item that Meijer did not have this morning that surprised me was eggs. Now it could be that they did have them and they were not in the area customers access, I don't know and did not ask. It is going to take time before things are back to normal, what ever normal is going to be with a pandemic ongoing.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Top Crusader wrote:Supermarkets here technically have food but its picked over. Since the rumor is we will all be asked to shelter in place for two weeks, I picked up some random canned soup, etc, but "good" stuff was pretty much gone. They had a huge selection of canned wax beans left which amused me. \:D/
Went grocery shopping on Saturday because I hadn't been to the store in several weeks and needed food, including cereal. Went down the cereal aisle and it was empty except for blueberry cheerios because why does that even exist!?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The only thing stores in my town are completely out of so far is toilet paper (people are stealing it out of the store bathrooms now) foodstuffs are being bought up but not depleted.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I haven't really gone out for about a week or so since my parents are pretty close to the age range that's vulnerable to the virus, but the last time I went to the grocery store, it seemed somewhat okay-ish. There were weird things missing like ALL THE FLOUR, but then there was still bread. I was actually trying to buy produce, but that was mostly wiped out. I mean, hoarding toilet paper is silly and selfish, but at least it will eventually get used. I just feel like people panic-bought a lot of perishable food that is now going to rot in their fridges until they throw it away. :/

I'm also bummed, because contrary to what people are peddling on Instagram, social distancing doesn't mean holing up in your basement like a hermit and watching Netflix all day. I've been trying to go to the park every day or two to get fresh air, and it's been something to do to keep from going crazy. But suddenly all the parks closed down today, which I don't understand. I literally never see other people at the park by my house unless it's a soccer game or something, and those things are obviously cancelled right now. Why shut down the whole park?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I've been hearing the the governor is considering a shelter in place order for Illinois residents. We will be allowed to go out for necessities. Sadly the governor does not consider the bookstore a necessity. The problem: The bookstore is a necessity for me.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

There's no way the Olympics go on is there :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't see how. They've been really slow to move and be aware (at least publicly) about how big a deal this is. I heard the suggestion that they should delay the Olympics a year, and that makes sense to me. That gives plenty of time for athletes and advertisers and countries to be in a place where they can proceed properly.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just heard about the possible year delay, if that's what happens that's great. I didn't know they were able to change their timetable so I had thought it either goes on or this one never happens and we have to wait the next four years.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I think a delay would be way better than cancelling, especially with an event that happens every four years. If that leaves a five year gap and a three year gap, that's different than usual but way better than an eight year gap!
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Yeah, I just read that Canada will not be sending athletes to the Olympics this year. I think I saw somewhere that Australia is doing the same thing.

I really hope that delaying for a year or so is an option. For most of the athletes, especially the gymnasts, waiting four years means they would probably be unable to ever compete in the Olympics.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

These random state by state shutdowns achieve nothing but disrupting everyone's lives. If this is actually the solution to the spread it has to happen nationally at the same time. Everyone, everywhere, stay inside for three weeks and then the situation gets under control. If it's up to the states and some do it and some don't then what is the point? You clean your state and then it just comes right back in because your neighboring state didn't shut down and you're right back where you started. Especially as long as Washington, the epicenter, isn't doing anything this whole ordeal is ridiculous.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Totally agree with you on that, bookworm.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Petrichor wrote:Yeah, I just read that Canada will not be sending athletes to the Olympics this year. I think I saw somewhere that Australia is doing the same thing.

I really hope that delaying for a year or so is an option. For most of the athletes, especially the gymnasts, waiting four years means they would probably be unable to ever compete in the Olympics.
Yes, I was proud to see today that Canada is leading the way in speaking out to say that Canadian atheletes will not attend the Olympics if they are held this summer as originally scheduled. Other countries are following, which is forcing the IOC to face facts - something has to change. I get that this is a huge event and there are tons of factors to consider, but it's at the point where they have to admit that things must change.