Oxford comma decides court case

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Oxford comma decides court case

Post by bookworm »

Judge: "For want of a comma, we have this case."
Omission costs company an estimated $10 million.
Writers frequently debate whether or not the Oxford comma is a necessary piece of punctuation.

In an unlikely turn of events, a group of Maine dairy drivers have yielded the answer: Yes, it is.

A case brought by the dairy drivers against Oakhurst Dairy and Dairy Farmers of America Inc. about whether or not they qualified for overtime hinged on the lack of a comma in a sentence outlining duties that were exempted from overtime pay.

On Monday, a federal appeals court judge ruled in favor of the drivers after finding that the lack of a comma dredged up so much uncertainty: "For want of a comma, we have this case."

The use of the Oxford comma — also called a serial comma — delineates the final item on a list. For example: "Milk, cheese, and yogurt." Proponents of the punctuation argue it helps to differentiate subjects, while opponents say it's cumbersome.

Different style guides have different rules about the Oxford comma, which gets its name because it was used by Oxford University Press editors, but the judge's ruling is a cautionary tale for those who forgo the mark.

The sentence at the heart of the dairy drivers' case refers to Maine's overtime law and whom it doesn't apply to: "The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

"(1) Agricultural produce;

"(2) Meat and fish products; and

"(3) Perishable foods."

Because a comma does not appear after "shipment," U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit Judge David Barron reasoned it is unclear if "packing for shipping or distribution" is one activity or if "packing for shipping" is separate from "distribution."

"The drivers further contend that, although they do handle perishable foods, they do not engage in 'packing' them," Barron wrote in his opinion. "As a result, the drivers argue that, as employees who fall outside Exemption F, the Maine overtime law protects them."

Ian Samuel, Climenko Fellow and Lecturer on Law at Harvard Law School, says at least one prominent legal text, written by Justice Antonin Scalia and his co-author, Bryan Garner, recommends that "courts should not rely much if any" on text omitting an Oxford comma because some legislative style guides follow newspaper style, which often doesn't use the comma.

In Maine, the guide for drafting legislation warns against using an Oxford comma, as Barron notes in his opinion.

"Although authorities on punctuation may differ, when drafting Maine law or rules, don't use a comma between the penultimate and the last item of a series," the rule reads.

However, it also warns that if a list is ambiguous, a sentence should be restructured.

"The reason the lack of a comma matters here is because it's not clear if the overtime statute is supposed to exempt packers of food — those whose work involves the 'packing for shipment or distribution' of perishable foods (which milk is) — or if it covers both packers (people who 'pack for shipment') and drivers, whose work is the 'distribution' of the foods," Samuel said in an email to NBC News.

Samuel says the key to this case isn't ultimately about the text, but rather that because the exemption is ambiguous, there isn't a clear-cut answer.

"The court concludes that at best the phrase is ambiguous. In other words, the text by itself just doesn't tell us the right answer syntactically," Samuel said. "So we have to rely on a substantive presumption in favor of workers, which the court says is used in Maine law to resolve ambiguities like this."

He said it's conceivable that a different judge could come to a different conclusion.

"This opinion by Judge Barron is very carefully argued, and I personally think it's really good," Samuel said. "And he is a very well-respected judge. That said, it's not an open-and-shut case. I think it's actually a pretty hard one."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh my, that's a lot of to-do about a comma! :thud: I personally prefer the use of the Oxford comma because it can eliminate that kind of confusion, but when I decide whether or not to use it, there aren't millions of dollars on the line!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I always use them and genuinely don't understand why it is grammatically acceptable not to. There is absolutely no way to ensure, or expect, accurate transmission of information without them.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Finally, some sensibility \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I always liked it. Adds more clarity to the sentence.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Parakeet
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Parakeet »

... Is it bad I didn't know what an Oxford comma is until I Googled it earlier today? :anxious:

And that's a lot of fuss over a typo :shame:
Don't you
remember
the SNOWFLAKES.
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

I SAW THIS!! This is crazy and amazing, it makes me happy :D
Don't let anyone ever tell you grammar isn't important xD
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

If anyone is worried about this happening to them, visit The Punctuation Shop and get a free comma with purchases over $1.00. \:D/
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Dredge
Classic

Post by Dredge »

Negligence is the mother of catastrophe.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not ignorance. It's that they know so much that isn't so." ---President Ronald Reagan
MericaBlog is the new joint Tumblr used by me and a couple friends.
Connie G.
I'm a teapot

Post by Connie G. »

For a while I thought that said apostrophe and got really confused. xD
I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the rock of ages. ~C.H. Spurgeon
hello and Where are all the hot people? ~Penguin