2016 Summer Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I watched the Canadian women beat Great Britain to win bronze in the rugby sevens, and then Australia beat New Zealand for gold. That is such a crazy, tough sport, and very entertaining to watch! :mad: I asked my dad if he wanted to watch the bronze medal rugby match with me and he said he was busy, but then he walked by again a few minutes later and stayed until the end of the match. :lol: It's easy to get involved, and they really keep thing moving. There's never more than a few seconds without something going on. I couldn't believe it when one of the girls was hurt, the team trainer guy came onto the field to check on her, and the play was continuing with them sitting on the field and the other women all running past them with the play! :thud: I'm just not used to that. In hockey, either you're not very hurt and get off the ice on your own, or you're hurt enough that the play stops, the trainer comes out, and then play resumes after everybody is safely off the ice. Not in rugby! Good times.

I also watched some assorted swimming (including another bronze medal for Canada!), beach volleyball, and a few minutes of men's gymnastics. I saw an American doing his floor routine (I think) and messing up several times to start off, and I thought of bookworm's comment about how frustrating it had been to watch previously. It's tough to watch your team make silly mistakes and lose points. I also saw most of Eugenie Bouchard's tennis match this morning, which she unfortunately lost. :( I tried cheering louder, but apparently the force of my will was not enough. ;)

I'm hoping to watch most of the gymnastics tomorrow. That's always fun.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh my gosh, I can't do men's gymnastics anymore. I can't. Absolute, total implosion; they were out of it from the very beginning.
It would be one thing if they weren't supposed to be very good and then went out and did this garbage, but I keep hearing that these guys supposedly do have the talent to be real competitors. Not to the extent the women are of course where the gold is theirs to lose, but they should be able to decently compete. I hear that, but all I ever see is this.
I'm really starting to doubt the reports of realistic competitive ability. Because if it was there they would have to have shown something of it by now right? They can't really choke this badly this often. At some point we have to be past saying 'They just didn't meet their potential this time' and say maybe the potential just wasn't as high as we thought.

What in the world happened to Missy Franklin? Dead last in her 200m Freestyle semifinal, won't swim for a medal.

I was so hyped for the 100m breaststroke final. And so was everyone else, that storyline really took off overnight. The crowd booed Efimova when she came out. So happy King won!

The commentators going crazy over Le Clos and Phelps backstage prerace was too funny. "I've never seen anything like this in the ready room." "Look at this! This is great tv!" "Should we cover the first semifinal or just leave the camera here?" "I want to just stay here!" :p

Walsh and Ross continue their complete domination! It is just amazing to watch.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I was busy today and missed most of the events, but I caught up on a few things. I got to see some of the American women's gymnastics, and they were amazing! Just beautiful and stunning performances - well worth the watch, and well deserving of the results! I wish I had seen more of it, but hopefully I'll be able to catch more of the upcoming events.

I haven't really seen much of the men's gymnastics, and nothing with a big American focus, but like bookworm says, when you see people consistently collapse, you have to wonder if they just don't have what it takes. You do sometimes see a shockingly poor performance for whatever reason, even at an Olympic level, but if it's the whole team, it's got to be more than that. That would be really frustrating to watch.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Absolutely bizarre episode in team gymnastics. Ukraine only used two members instead of three, then intentionally tanked their performances by literally not doing anything.
No one knows the reason. They reportedly claim there was an injury and the athlete couldn't be replaced, but that has been refuted. Some people think it was a protest lingering from the 2012 Games where they lost bronze after Japan appealed the scoring. Some think perhaps they were passing on trying to medal here to keep their athletes fresh for the individual events. If that is the case I think they should be kicked out of those. Tanking to gain future advantage has precedent from 2012 of ejections.

Something that has crossed my mind in the past but I never really thought about until now: It must be incredibly distracting having other gymnastic events going on while you're trying to do yours. Especially the music from the floor exercises playing and the crowd reacting to other people doing things.

The US women live up to expectations in the team competition; can't wait to see how they do in the individual events!
"I don't know if this can be done here, Simone Biles needs to score a 7.591" :lol:

And more gold for Phelps!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I'm very disappointed and frustrated that I can't watch any of the events I want to see live (and at all) because I don't have cable or any kind of paid network. >_> I was able to catch the replay/highlights of the women's gymnastics final though. But still quite aggravated.

Somehow I recall seeing a LOT more coverage of the last Olympic games on TV. Is this something that's changed or was that just me? Regardless, I am very unamused. :|
Last edited by snubs on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I was able to catch the replay/highlights of the women's gymnastics final though. But still quite aggravated.
All of the gymnastics events are on free tv.
snubs wrote:I recall seeing a LOT more coverage of the last Olympic games on TV. Is this something that's changed or was that just me?
There is actually much more coverage this time around. It could just be what/when you're catching things that makes it seem lacking.

I have been very impressed with the broadcasts so far myself, even with NBC still insisting on using tape delay. The coverage is not only longer time-wise, but in content as well. I remember being frustrated in past Olympics when huge chunks of the program were used for pretaped features on personal stories of the athletes, but this year so far those have been kept to a minimum, kept short and meaningful, and inserted reasonably into the event footage, using the majority of airtime to show the events.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm watching everything online via the CBC website. For Canadians who don't know, this is the place to be! You can watch the main programing that's showing on TV, with interviews, highlights from different sports and full presentations of more prominent events, but they also constantly have multiple other streams going on showing a lot of different sports. Sometimes there isn't commentary, but hey, if your favourite sport isn't super popular, at least you can still watch it! You can also replay events later if you want. http://olympics.cbc.ca/

I'm guessing that they're geoblocking, plus obviously there's a more Canadian focus, but it might be worth trying it out for any non-Canadians who don't have access otherwise. No promises that it will work, but I can only feel so bad, because usually I'm the one getting geoblocked for all kinds of stuff because I live sooooo far away from the US and am not worthy of accessing stuff, apparently. ;)

I watched some men's synchronized 3m diving today and found it interesting that the Mexican team tried to get a redo on their last diving, indicating that there had been a flash or something, and then they went up again, and then finally the verdict was that they couldn't redive, with a significant delay as they pressed their case multiple times. There was no possible way for them to make it to the podium even with a perfect dive. Then after everything was over, their coach was talking to the officials again. I don't know all the rules, but it seems like an odd process, since it could throw other teams off along the way.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I was able to catch the replay/highlights of the women's gymnastics final though. But still quite aggravated.
All of the gymnastics events are on free tv.
I can't find this "free tv" you speak of, could you give me a link?
bookworm wrote:
snubs wrote:I recall seeing a LOT more coverage of the last Olympic games on TV. Is this something that's changed or was that just me?
There is actually much more coverage this time around. It could just be what/when you're catching things that makes it seem lacking.
Whenever I look at the TV schedule it just shows the same sports I don't care about, volleyball, swimming, cycling... do/did they ever air the gymnastics live?

AND WHY TO THEY HAVE TO AIR ALL THE SWIMMING AT NIGHT? Is that what most people want to see?

@Catspaw: Haha. :lol: Yeah, it doesn't work for me. =p Thanks for trying though. Why don't we have an online streaming site like that!? :x NBC stinks.
Last edited by snubs on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

snubs wrote: AND WHY TO THEY HAVE TO AIR ALL THE SWIMMING AT NIGHT? Is that what most people want to see?

@Catspaw: Haha. :lol: Yeah, it doesn't work for me. =p Thanks for trying though. Why don't we have an online streaming site like that!? :x NBC stinks.
The swimming just happens to be taking place at night. The announcers I've listened to have talked a few times about how much later the swimming events are at Rio compared to what the swimmers are used to. Depending on your time zone, they might be airing swimming live in the evening. Also, I hear some folks are pretty pumped up about that random Michael Phelps guy who's won more gold medals than most countries, so that might not be helping non-swimming fans get the coverage they want. ;)

Sorry that CBC didn't work for you. CBC is heavily subsidized by the government and focuses on Canadian content and accessibility, which is different than NBC's goal of making money and (most of my American friends tell me) driving people crazy with bad programming choices . ;) When it comes to something like the Olympics, it does seem fitting to make it as accessible as possible. I hope you find a better way to watch, snubs!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Yeah, most of the swimming I've been seeing (in the evening) is live. So I get that can't be helped. =p BUT STILL. I don't mind watching, it's just not my preferred event.

When track and field starts, it looks like it will be airing in the morning, so I guess that means I can't sleep in those days. xD
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

snubs wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Whenever I look at the TV schedule it just shows the same sports I don't care about, volleyball, swimming, cycling... do/did they ever air the gymnastics live?
No they never did :x They've only had it live on some live stream online(you still needed to enter in your cable service tho), but even then...They didn't cover our girls, which I think is absolutely ridiculous :roll:
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

snubs wrote:I can't find this "free tv" you speak of, could you give me a link?
There isn't a link, it's on tv. NBC. The same as every other year? They broadcast 10am to 5pm then 8pm to Midnight.
snubs wrote:Whenever I look at the TV schedule it just shows the same sports I don't care about, volleyball, swimming, cycling...
That is currently what is on, yes. Plus gymnastics. What events are you looking for? They may not have started yet, or might just be shown on the cable channels.
snubs wrote:do/did they ever air the gymnastics live?
No, gymnastics has not been shown live. It is taped and shown in primetime of that day so everyone can see it.
snubs wrote:AND WHY TO THEY HAVE TO AIR ALL THE SWIMMING AT NIGHT? Is that what most people want to see?
It's Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky, so yes it is what people want to see. But as Catspaw said, most of the swimming is actually live so that's when it would be on anyway.
Paula wrote:but even then...They didn't cover our girls, which I think is absolutely ridiculous :roll:
Which girls are those?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I had fun watching the women's 4 x 200m relay swimming tonight, with the Canadian ladies taking bronze. The US was out in front, as expected, and got gold in that event, with Katie Ledecky being a big part of that..

With the success that the US women have had in gymnastics, totally dominating in what apparently was expected to be a great turn-out for them, I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't aired live. I get wanting to air good stuff during primetime, but they could air stuff live for daytime events and still have quality highlights in the evening when other people can watch. In the internet age, a lot of the people watching in the evening probably know the results and don't mind missing a few countries that weren't in medal range.

I'm watching some live men's beach volleyball right now - Canada vs. Austria. Go Canada! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:With the success that the US women have had in gymnastics ... I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't aired live.
I get that thought of why isn't it live because it's the headline event, but I think this is actually the right thing to do. Because it's the headline event it has to be in primetime so everyone can see it. So yes you could show it live for those who can watch and then replay it for those who can't, but because it's going to be put on in the evening either way I think it's better to use the daytime slot to go ahead and show two hours of additional events you otherwise wouldn't be able to rather than show the gymnastics twice.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
Catspaw wrote:With the success that the US women have had in gymnastics ... I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't aired live.
I get that thought of why isn't it live because it's the headline event, but I think this is actually the right thing to do. Because it's the headline event it has to be in primetime so everyone can see it. So yes you could show it live for those who can watch and then replay it for those who can't, but because it's going to be put on in the evening either way I think it's better to use the daytime slot to go ahead and show two hours of additional events you otherwise wouldn't be able to rather than show the gymnastics twice.
I can see that side too, since there are limited hours. That's why it's great to have lots of events available live online - people have more options for how they prefer to watch.

I'm watching some Fiji vs. Japan men's rubgy sevens right now. Fiji is easily winning. I think the tennis doubles match with the Canadian team might have been delayed, because I thought that's what was supposed to be showing on the main coverage now, but I'm too lazy to check or go find it. ;) The swimming preliminaries earlier set up some good match-ups for tonight and tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that later. So far all six of Canada's medals come from female competitors, so hopefully the guys will step up and add a few more soon!
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

bookworm wrote:
Paula wrote:but even then...They didn't cover our girls, which I think is absolutely ridiculous :roll:
Which girls are those?
Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Laurie Hernandez, Gabby Douglas, and Madison Kocian
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Extremely green water in the diving pool from some kind of algae. They said there was no threat to the athletes, but it looked very weird.

More volleyball challenge controversy. Gibb and Patterson scored a great point in a vital set against Spain who challenged that there had been a fourth touch. Replay clearly showed there was not, however it still returned a successful challenge because they apparently called a net fault. This got the Americans really heated because that wasn't what they were supposed to be looking at. Whether or not it was the right call, which is debatable, it shouldn't have been retroactively enforced because that was not the challenge that was asked for. The point was reversed, USA ends up losing the set and the match and is eliminated.
The replay system they came up with is good, but the execution clearly needs some more clarification.

Incredible game by Switzerland! Just the second ever Olympic set Walsh has lost, and they made a serious push at actually winning the match!

The men's 200m breaststroke final was insane! I've never seen such an even race.

Against my better judgment I watched the men's gymnastics all around. It went exactly as expected, the commentators saying USA had a real chance at medaling then mistakes piling up to put the podium out of reach by like midway through.
I am actually glad I watched though because other than the US it was a great show. The gold came down to the very final performance; very exciting!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:Extremely green water in the diving pool from some kind of algae. They said there was no threat to the athletes, but it looked very weird.

The men's 200m breaststroke final was insane! I've never seen such an even race.
Yeah, the water change did look weird, so hopefully they're right that it's safe! I heard that the first couple days swimmers were complaining that the water was too cold and something about warming up the water in later days accelerated algae growth, or something along those lines.

I couldn't believe how close that race was too! :mad: It's rare to see them all so bunched up like that.

I watched the 100 metre freestyle swim with much glee as Canada and the US tied for gold! \:D/ I don't mind sharing with our neighbours....hopefully the feeling is mutual. (Now, if this was hockey it would be a totally different story.) ;) Penny Oleksiak, our Canadian racer, now has 4 medals over the last few days, and she's only 16! :thud: They played both anthems, since it was a tie. Neither of them were expected to win, and the Australian Cate Campbell who was the favourite ended up sixth, behind even her younger sister who she usually beats. No complaints here! O:)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:That's why it's great to have lots of events available live online - people have more options for how they prefer to watch.
Yes, and gymnastics are available to watch live online. Albeit with a cable account required to watch beyond a free time limit.
Paula wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Which girls are those?
Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, Laurie Hernandez, Gabby Douglas, and Madison Kocian
Team USA? They showed all of that. :?:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

NBC is just.. disappointing (for lack of a better word) http://www.vox.com/2016/8/11/12433144/nbc-olympics-bad Sometimes I just want to see the sports for what they are. Also, I actually like seeing the other countries compete, so it would have been nice to see the men's gymnastics team final.. even if it didn't include USA.

@bookworm: This is really the first Olympic games I've tried to moderately keep up with. I watched a fair chunk of the games in London and Sochi, but it was more of a "watch a little when I see it on". Anything before that wasn't really on my radar. Anyway, it would be nice to see some of the basketball and a little of the less popular sports.