Puppy Help

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Puppy Help

Post by SoccerLOTR »

So...I have a 9 month German Shepherd puppy...who has way more energy than I know what to do with (got him 3 months ago at 6 mo). Anyone have any ideas on keeping him occupied? I don't run fast enough to run him down on walks. When I take him to the park and throw things, all he does is trot after the item, then sits down and starts to chew it, instead of running around with it or anything ](*,) If I don't throw anything, he'll just stand there and stare at me, or slowly wander and sniff around. #-o i can play with him for hours and he'll still be bouncing off the walls. Any suggestions?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

As time goes on he'll get better........ Depending on where you keep him when you're not at home, since he's still a puppy, I'm guessing you probably keep in a crate/kennel. Maybe think about getting a cage for him, that would allow him more space and maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-iCrate-Do ... s=dog+cage
Otherwise maybe get some rope to play tug of war with him? Or buy inexpensive rawhide bones, you can get them at fleetfarm, target, costco, petsmart. My dogs really like them and it keeps them busy.
I'm guessing that since you've had him for a while you have some sort of schedule down, that really helps a lot. Maybe have a set walking schedule, maybe find an agility class with a local dog kennel.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Eat it! \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
Limerick
OK

Post by Limerick »

*glares at Steve*

I agree with Graces, puppies can be off the wall indeed, but generally, as time goes, they calm down. German Sheperds are definittttely energetic though, and they grow to be rather large, so this is certainly something you will want to pay attention to. My recommendation would probably be a Dog Obedience class to start off with if you are not already. It is both a great way to get to know your new puppy and establish necessary skills, but also to interact with other dog owners.

But definitely enjoy your time with him, puppies are such an amazing part of life =)
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Graces - Yeah, I tried him with a crate...actually almost identical to the one you posted a pic to. worked for a while. Unfortunately, after pulling the blanket through and shredding it, it got warped...then further warped as he escaped multiple times while I was at work...then he started chewing the plastic bottom up, so that's in pieces, and parts of it have gotten torn apart. He's a strong thing. I did get him rawhide, but then I learned it's not very good for dogs and doesn't digest well. If he didn't go through it quickly, I wouldn't worry too much, but he could go through a roll in one sitting, and that's just too much for me to feel like he's safe. I'm going through some alternatives that are ok, but wish I could find something that would take him a week to consume, instead of a couple hours.

Steve - no, he keeps horrible people like you out!

Limerick - Yep, he's already very large. lol. I took him through one obedience course, but am trying to figure out another one for him...unfortunately he can learn stuff in the class, but as soon as there is anything distracting, he's out of it and won't listen. He's a puppy with severe ADD, and I don't know how to address that. It's proving very frustrating!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

Doll
Found

Post by Doll »

My sister would probably trade puppies with you in a heartbeat, sadly. :P The whole reason we got a puppy was because she wanted one to play endlessly with, and instead, Bramble is mellow and a cuddler. xD

We've been looking into some toys to keep Bramble occupied (so she won't be whining when she isn't being held), one suggestion was to melt some peanut butter, pour it into a kong, and then freeze it. (http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/0 ... w_toys.php)
IT'S BELLE/DOLL/GG - I'M BAAAAAAACCCKK!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I can relate; we got our newest dog as a puppy and she was absolutely uncontrollable. She’s great now, but unfortunately what we did probably won’t work for you if you say yours won’t fetch. Ours does, so we would just make sure every day someone threw the ball for her for at least ten minutes to tire her out. It’s no good if it won’t bring it back though! Ours didn’t at first either though, so maybe you can train yours to. I don’t really know how ours learned to bring the ball back, because as well as I can remember it seemed like an overnight change. One day she was running off and the next she suddenly brought it back and has ever since.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

God's Girl - lol, does your sis want to come over and help? I tried the peanut butter thing, but I've found that I literally have the laziest dog when it comes to getting food. I put peanut butter in...he licked off what he could easily reach, then just stopped. He then waited for the peanut butter to dry, and as he played with it over time, pieces would fall out and he'd eat them. Nasty. Lol. So I haven't done that one again. I'll stuff it with other things that are easier to get out, but since they're easier, they're also less time consuming.

Bookworm - yeah, I don't get why he wants to chew instead of fetch. I've heard of training dogs to fetch, but don't know how, and haven't heard from anyone how well it works. That would be my preference for what to do with him as it is minimal effort for me and very energy consuming for him. Right now his favorite game is keep away, which requires me to run around in circles endlessly and somehow doesn't wear him out. What kind of dog do you have, bookworm?

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

She’s a black lab. Very high energy. Our other dog never learned to fetch, he’d take the ball or whatever and just go lay down somewhere. So I don’t know if it is something you can teach or not, maybe some dogs just don’t do it no matter what.

Since yours is still pretty young if it is something that can be trained now is your only chance probably. What we did was just pure repetition until she learned I think. It’s frustrating and many times seemed hopeless, but it was definitely worth it in the long run if that is indeed what did it.
If your dog just wants to play keep away don’t play along. That just encourages it. Keep away is a fine game, but not when you’re supposed to be playing fetch. It needs to understand that they are two different games. If it goes to lay down make it come back to you. Repeatedly call it, forcefully. It has to get the message.
Then when it does come to you (and give you back the ball, that’s a whole different part of it) make sure to praise it. Overdo the praise even from time to time so it realizes that’s what you like it to do.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

alright, thanks!

Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

My family has a brown lab. Our dog somehow came with the innate ability to fetch, and we literally never had to train her; she brings the ball or stick back automatically. If she gets really tired or smells an animal or something, then she drops it a distance away, but that's it.

My dog also doesn't require a massive amount of exercise like some labs do, just a walk every once in a while and some fetching. I definitely agree with what bookworm said: repetition, firmness, and distinguishing between the games are all important. Fetching is a great way to exercise a dog. My backyard is also a really steep hill, so that makes it all the harder exercise for my dog, I have found that my lab builds up an endurance to it after fetching for a month or two frequently, which is annoying (the whole point is to wear the dog out, not for the dog to be able to complete a fetching marathon! :x). If that happens then I try to drop fetching for a while and use some other form of exercise. If you can train your dog to fetch (I would guess that if you start now, your dog will develop good fetching habits and grow to like it more), you can use it as a quick form of exercising that, as you said, is the least work for you and the most work for your dog.

I can share your perspective on the rawhide bones, SoccerLOTR. My family pretty much uses them for emergencies or special occasions, because our lab eats them so quickly. We have had great success with real animal bones. Our lab is entertained for a while, but can't devour them right away, so she will work on them repeatedly when she is bored. For whatever reason, she seems to like some better than others, to the point of never using some of them. It sounds like your German Shepard isn't as interested in the food aspect of toys and bones, but maybe a real bone would be entertaining enough to keep it occupied.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."