2012 Summer Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

But it had Eric Idle! And Queen (sort of)! ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The United States won the most of each color medal, and most total medals!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageTeam USAImage
ImageImageImage ImageImage Image
Image46 Image29Image 29
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Termite wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:So NBC decided to cut a lot of the closing ceremony coverage in favor of a rather stupid comedy and local news. How does everyone feel about this? Personally, I think Animal Practice is now the most hated show on tv before it even starts.
They showed The Who and everything else after Animal Practice... I just didn't feel like staying up until 1 o'clock again. I need my beauty sleep. ;)
Not everything else. Muse, that played the theme to the entire games, was in the show before Queen but not aired in the US. Kate Bush was never aired. Acrobatics to a Beatles song. A ballerina extinguishing the flame. They never aired about an hour of the show.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Aaah, gotcha. I didn't really pay any attention to details... but I bet it's able to be pirated somewhere on the internet. *shrug*

EDIT: Hm. Maybe not... but that was only the first three pages on Google. Oh well... RIO.
Last edited by Termite on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Termite wrote:Aaah, gotcha. I didn't really pay any attention to details... but I bet it's able to be pirated somewhere on the internet. *shrug*

EDIT: Hm. Maybe not... but that was only the first three pages on Google. Oh well... RIO.
For those of you who are interested my brother shared this link with me http://gawker.com/5934199/here-are-the- ... /gallery/1 :-

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The best part was when Batman and Robin randomly popped out of that exploded car. \:D/
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Except that was a part that totally went over the US audience's head, and NBC kept it! :x
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I noticed that NBC released the videos. Unfortunately, we don't have fast enough internet to watch them(Not to mention we have a limit on how much internet we use). Does anyone know of a way to download them to my computer?(You know, so I could go to a wi-fi spot, download, then watch them at home.)
Last edited by Woody on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

~JCGJ~ wrote:The only reason Bejing was considered "the best" (as said by many people), was because it was just really big.
I actually don’t recall what happened at any other opening ceremony. :anxious:
I don’t know why, but I really can’t recall anything. I hear everyone say China’s was the best ever, but I don’t remember a single thing they did. I have vague memories of Canada’s, I think I remember some kind of giant skier or something, but other than that it’s a blank too.
I’m sure that’s not why I liked this one though, just because I can’t remember the others. I appreciated the substance of this one, that’s why it’s my favorite. And I know I won’t be forgetting this one like those others.

And I realized that I somehow forgot to mention the cauldron.
I thought the look was really great, starting as little lights and then coming together and rising. Very unique and an amazing visual. I did have two issues with it though.
First, I didn’t like that a bunch of random kids lit it. I get the meaning, that the kids are the future and everything, but the final lighting is supposed to be someone who is important, not someone who may be important someday.
And second, you’re supposed to be able to see it from the event venues, but you can’t. This one is down in the stadium, not up in the air, so you can only see it when you’re inside there. NBC showed the view from that sky tower thing, and even from way up there you couldn’t see it.
But I did really like the interactiveness of it. The petals that held all those lights were brought in with the nations at the opening ceremony, there’s one for each country in these Games, and after the closing ceremony each country took theirs with them. That’s a pretty neat idea.
Last edited by bookworm on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.