What does it mean to be a Disney Cast Member?

Let me try and explain it to you......

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

What does it mean to be a Disney Cast Member?

Post by AIO Psyche »

Since getting my job as Walt Disney World, my friends and family have been asking me exactly what I do as a Cast Member. And it's alot harder to explain than you might think. I can't just say, "I work at Big Thunder Mountain." Working at Walt Disney World and being within the Walt Disney Company is an experience than is next to impossible to explain to people. It's one of those things where you have to see and feel it for yourself.

Nonetheless, something that I have been struggling to put into words recently, is "What does being a Cast Member mean? What is it that we do? What is it all about?"

Being a CM means alot of things, so I'll break the major points down one by one.

1. We carry on a legacy.

First, and most importantly of all, we carry on Walt Disney's legacy. His morals. His philosophies. His optimism. His unwavering belief in the inherent good that lies in us all. Carrying on these basic standards in everything that we do during the day is the primary job of a CM. To honor Walt, and make sure that in all things that we do, the guest sees and feels his spirit. His love of diversity, and new things are VERY prominent within the company today. Regardless of your race, religion, orientation, or political beliefs, that you are loved and accepted. This is another reason I adore this company. :-)

With every smile, with every helpful comment, with every royal bow to a young girl dressed as a princess, Walt lives on. He lives on in spirit in every single CM that is here for the right reasons. This is felt throughout the Walt Disney World resort, but especially at the Magic Kingdom. Walt truly is here in this special place.

2. We are stewards.

The second, and just as important thing that CM's do, is we are the stewards of this magical place. For a short time, we care for, steer, and protect this magical and special place. There have been thousands of stewards throughout our nearly 40 year history at WDW. And during each Cast Members time here, for that brief moment in time, they are one of those stewards. We go to work every day with the knowledge that this place will go on without us. As soon as one of us steps down or leaves the company, another CM steps up and begins his or her timely care of this place.

See, what so many people (and other Cast Members) don't understand, is that this is way more than just a job. You can't just take this job to bring home a paycheck. Real love and passion for not only Walt, but the company as a whole, is needed to work here.

There are COUNTLESS Cast Members that could care less about this job, who don't understand how important the work we do here is. They don't understand the gravity of the situation. Sometimes they argue about how, "It's just a job!" or, "Why is it as important as you say?" or worse yet, "I hate this job." If fellow Cast Members have these reactions, I don't even bother explaining it to them. Cause they won't ever get it. If you are just looking for a job to pay the bills, then go down the street to Taco Bell or McDonalds. Cause there are COUNTLESS people, not just in the USA, but all over the world who would give ANYTHING to work here. I know, cause I used to be one of those people. You have to love this place in order to work here.

That's why you see Cast Members, myself included, that will bend down, and scoop up a piece of trash off the ground, regardless of what they are doing. You'll even see random people in regular clothes picking up trash off the ground. Nine times out ten, it's an off duty Cast Member doing his or her part to keep this place as clean as possible. I do this all the time; I'm a bit obsessive actually! Even though we have custodial people who do nothing but clean up trash, all CMs do this. Why? Cause we all have a feeling of responsibility for the Magic Kingdom, and the resort as a whole. As management puts it, "It's your world too. Take a little pride."

Which leads us into number three.......

3. We are proud.

Cast Members are proud to be Cast Members! The Walt Disney Company has a long, rich, exciting, diverse, and successful history. I dare you to find someone who doesn't know the word 'Disney'. When you think of Disney, images of princesses, fairytales, pirates, adventure, fantasy, and magic fill the mind.

Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, The Jungle Book, Snow White, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, The Princess and the Frog, Pocahontas, Lady and the Tramp...........All these films and several dozens more are apart of pop culture, children's imaginations, and the very fabric of society. Disney brings happiness and joy to millions of people worldwide. We have dozens of successful theme parks worldwide. We have a television station. Radio stations. The single most highly regarded animation studio in the world. Print media. Live action film studio. High quality merchandise. The list goes on.

No one company can come close to this kind of influence and success. But, it doesn't stop there.

Even more than these things, the Walt Disney Company does immeasurable humanitarian work.

The company donates millions of dollars to countless organizations that directly benefit people worldwide. Every year, the company has blood drives amongst it's employees, and gives thousands of gallons of blood to the Red Cross, and other organizations. Toys For Tots. Cancer research. AIDS research. Heart disease research. The list goes on.

And then there is their environmental work.

No one company come close to the level of work that the Walt Disney Company does for the environment. They have the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund. Established in 1995 on Earth Day (April 22) as a global awards program for the study and protection of the world's wildlife and ecosystems. It provides annual awards to US nonprofit conservation organizations. Many of the recipient organizations concentrate their activities on "biological hotspots" -- areas rich in plant and animal life at risk of imminent destruction. Since it's founding in 1998, the DWCF has supported more than 800 projects with more than $14 million in grants to organizations and individuals working in 110 countries.

All these things, all this good being done, all these spectacular things that Disney does........Imagine being apart of that. Imagine being able to say, "I work for that company. I am part of this. I work for Disney. I am a Cast Member."

The notion of being apart of something that is bigger than you, that is doing so much good. Something that is making an actual difference. It's an awesome feeling.

There are many layers and subtleties to being a Cast Member, but those are the biggest.

I guess I say all those things to say.......

If you ever have the incredible honor, privilege, and opportunity to work at Walt Disney World (or any Disney park for that matter!) take it as fast as you can. You will experience things that you can't imagine. It is an experience that you will never forget. :-)

So, what do I do? I am a dream maker. I am a magic maker. I am a Pixie Duster. I am a pirate. I am a Space Ranger. I am apart of a legacy. I am a Cast Member. I am Disney.
Last edited by AIO Psyche on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

That sounds like an AMAZING job, AIOP! To be honest, I always Disney as just another theme park, but I can see now why it means so much to you.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Irwin wrote:That sounds like an AMAZING job, AIOP! To be honest, I always Disney as just another theme park, but I can see now why it means so much to you.
It's true! Disney is different. :-)

Look at Walt's biography and the history of the Walt Disney Company. Its one gripping and engaging read!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

My sister used to want to work at Disney Land as one of the dancer's. She loves going to Disney Land and Disney World (in fact she went to Disney Land for her honeymoon).

It sounds like a pretty cool job, AIOP. \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

dude... that was one epic, inspiring post. I was inspired. :o
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

StrongNChrist wrote:My sister used to want to work at Disney Land as one of the dancer's. She loves going to Disney Land and Disney World (in fact she went to Disney Land for her honeymoon).

It sounds like a pretty cool job, AIOP. \:D/
I can so relate to that wish! I went to school in Southern CA just for that possible eventual job. I worked at Disneyland as a dancer for one year in the Mulan parade (and a year and a half before that just in the park). It was awesome. \:D/

Nice words, AIOP. =D> You know you're a Cast Member when you point with two fingers and know the closest restroom from wherever you are in the park. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

darcie wrote:Nice words, AIOP. =D> You know you're a Cast Member when you point with two fingers and know the closest restroom from wherever you are in the park. ;)
HAHA Yes!! I will forever point with two fingers!! \:D/
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

I'm confused.

Are you one of those guys that dress up as Mickey Mouse?
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

JED wrote:I'm confused.

Are you one of those guys that dress up as Mickey Mouse?
1. Mickey is real, nobody 'dresses up like him'. There is only ONE Mickey. :shame:

2. I work at Big Thunder Mountain in Frontierland. :D
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

Thanks that clears things up :D

That was possibly the second most inspiring thing I've read all day.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

JED wrote:Thanks that clears things up :D

That was possibly the second most inspiring thing I've read all day.
What would be the first? :-k
JED
Love to love

Post by JED »

Don't try to shoot for the stars. You'll just miss and wind up killing somebody's dog or something.
This.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

JED wrote:
Don't try to shoot for the stars. You'll just miss and wind up killing somebody's dog or something.
This.
:shock:

=D>

:boohoo:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

AIO Psyche wrote:1. We carry on a legacy.
2. We are stewards.
3. We are proud.
Sounds like you joined the Marines.

;)

Nicely written, AIOP. I can tell you're passionate about your job! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

American Eagle wrote:
AIO Psyche wrote:1. We carry on a legacy.
2. We are stewards.
3. We are proud.
Sounds like you joined the Marines.

;)

Nicely written, AIOP. I can tell you're passionate about your job! \:D/
Sometimes, it feels like I did! lol

I moved here just to work here; Its a joy and a privilege to go to work everyday. :-)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

That is awesome... Makes me want to do it, but then I'd have to deal with people just as much as kids, so probably not... :- But still. That's sounds EPIC. \:D/

Though, I have one nitpick: you said 'could care less'. If they COULD care less then that means they love it and have room for feelings of annoyance, as opposed to 'couldn't care less', because their hatred couldn't go any deeper... *sheepish smile* and no, my profession will not be as an English teacher... a sidejob in speech only, maybe. :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

Termite wrote:Though, I have one nitpick: you said 'could care less'. If they COULD care less then that means they love it and have room for feelings of annoyance, as opposed to 'couldn't care less', because their hatred couldn't go any deeper... *sheepish smile* and no, my profession will not be as an English teacher... a sidejob in speech only, maybe. :-
Perhaps a profession in nitpicking and singling out what is wrong in everything? O:)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

AIO Psyche wrote:
Termite wrote:Though, I have one nitpick: you said 'could care less'. If they COULD care less then that means they love it and have room for feelings of annoyance, as opposed to 'couldn't care less', because their hatred couldn't go any deeper... *sheepish smile* and no, my profession will not be as an English teacher... a sidejob in speech only, maybe. :-
Perhaps a profession in nitpicking and singling out what is wrong in everything? O:)
No... That's going to be my side job. Try to keep up! :noway: I'm sorry, I didn't get enough sleep last night... hehe =P And besides, nitpicking grammar is in the genes. Blame my mother. :(
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

JED. \:D/
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Johnny. \:D/
Last edited by jelly on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait