Double Asteroid Redirection Test

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Double Asteroid Redirection Test

Post by bookworm »

NASA's Double Asteroid Redirection Test is launching soon!
The stream is set to go live in about two hours; I don't know when the launch itself is planned for.

DART is the world’s first full-scale planetary defense test, demonstrating one method of asteroid deflection technology. DART is a focused mission, proving that a spacecraft can autonomously navigate to a target asteroid and intentionally collide with it at roughly 4 miles per second. The mission will help determine if intentionally crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an effective way to change its course.
More information in this article.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I heard about this on the radio and thought it was really interesting. I am curious as to how well this will all work.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It is really interesting. :yes:

Launch went well and the probe is on its way. It will reach the target next Fall.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh, I didn't pay enough attention to the timeline - I didn't realize it would take so long! :mad: Post again next fall so I know what happens. ;)

Return to “Finneman's Market”