Coronavirus

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

My county seemed to be going back to normal but apparently there was spike of covid cases in Texas so our County Judge is requiring every business to require masks to enter. We don't have to wear masks out in public unless we are entering a business. I think they also want businesses to enforce social distancing but most businesses just have place markers and whatnot but are not enforcing it.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

bookworm wrote:
That was great,bookworm! It took me a little bit to realize he was spoofing existing songs. I guess I don't listen to enough popular music. ;) Very funny.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

My mom told that while she was at Walmart she overheard a couple of nurses talking to some other women they met up with about the Coronavirus situation. And they (the nurses), said it's been crazy, and that apparently anyone who dies of anything other than a gunshot wound (or something other than a puncture to the body), they count it as a Covid-19 death. WHAT? :boohoo: If a person dies of a heart attack, they tell the family it was a heart attack, but on paper they are required to say it was Covid-19. Evidently the more death cases they have, the more federal funding they get. :| If that doesn't tell you the cases are inflated, I don't know what does.

Now, I don't know if that means anyone who dies, or only people who are asymptomatic and/or actually sick. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former though..

That aside, I do agree with Danadelfos; Time will tell. And we won't really know until more time has passed, which could mean a year from now.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

snubs, you gotta stop sounding like a conspiracy theorist. What does it help?

Snopes.com has several articles addressing the "hospitals are getting paid more to report COVID deaths" rumours. The first time I heard someone suggest something along those lines, it immediately struck me as strange, as that's an incredibly harsh accusation that would have massively serious implications on public trust and international data if it were true. Did a quick bit of searching and of course, it's never, ever as simple as a statement like that would suggest. (Anyone can and should do at least a bit of research on their own whenever hearing something from a single source that sounds pretty wild.)

I also plan to follow Danadelfos' example and try not to jump to any sweeping conclusions about the whole thing until at least a year has passed, and experts have had a chance to properly aggregate research data and cross-reference it with hindsight. It's perhaps more of a shame now than ever that the loudest voices we hear in our public forums are not those of experts.
Last edited by jelly on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I’m only stating what was said from actual nurses (working in the medical field). You can take what you will from it. I’m not one of those who believe the virus was created in a lab or something. :roll: Which I came across someone who wholeheartedly believes that. The virus is alive and well and I believe it is a worldwide pandemic, I won’t deny that. This is why I continue to do my part in preventing/spreading it. I just think a few things don’t quite add up. BUT, as I said, the only way to really evaluate the situation is in time. Which could mean in a year. Who knows, the virus may spike in the fall/winter, which may mean an even longer wait time before things settle down.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Where does everyone stand on the vaccine? Is there anyone leary of it?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

When it's my turn, I'll be happy to get the vaccine. My province has a plan based on risk factors such as job, mostly health care related, and age (like most places!) and of course the supply coming in impacts how quickly they make it through the list of groups at higher risk than me. Hopefully by summer I'll have my shot. I don't see any big reason not to get it, and I see lots of reasons to get it!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I'm starting to hate seeing COVID in my tv storylines. One of the main characters on a show I watch lost his wife to the virus, and it reminded me too much of my stepmom. 😢
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Aww, that's so sad, Bren. :(

I understand why some shows or books want to address it or incorporate it, but I'm with you, Bren! I'm watching or reading fictional stuff for a reason. I'd rather avoid the thing that's stressing me out during the day when I sit down to watch or read something in the evening.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

I don't see much of a reason not to get the vaccine, either. I plan to get it once it is available to me. By that time, we will have a lot more data as well. So far, though, the data seems to back up that it's a reasonably safe vaccine to take that is also quite effective.
ByeByeBrownie
I've been here a bit

Post by ByeByeBrownie »

Who's all gotten vaxxed so far? I just got my first shot of Moderna! \:D/
Brownie has a knack
for writing superb haikus
she cannot be stopped
~Pengwin
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Good for you! I'm not eligible yet where I live but should be within a month or so.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

ByeByeBrownie wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:13 pm Who's all gotten vaxxed so far? I just got my first shot of Moderna! \:D/
I got my second Pfizer a week ago today. \:D/

Back to licking random objects in public at last!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Thanks to my dentist I have been able to schedule an appointment for this Thursday afternoon. I will be getting the Pfizer vaccine both doses from what the email says. I don't know if that is right but that's what it says. I will do what I am told. However they want me to do it. I will be very happy to have it done.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's great, Laurie! I'm glad your dentist was able to help and that your appointment is so soon.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

It looks like the Olympics are back on!

I have to wonder how differently things might have turned out if not for the extra year. Athletes who were at their peak last year might not have been able to maintain it all the way through to 2021.
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

Well we just figured out this morning my family probably has Covid. 👀 I've had it pretty mild so far except for not being able to smell or taste anything and not knowing when you'll get those senses back. I think the worst part for me, is not being around anyone (outside of family at home) for who knows how long.
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds stressful. I hope your whole family has a very mild case and you all recover quickly, KnittingFun. Hopefully in two weeks you'll be hanging out with non-household contacts again!
KnittingFun14
Processing
Post by KnittingFun14 »

Thank you Catspaw! It's been pretty mild for my siblings and I. My mom has had it the worst; having almost 9 days so far of constant fever and everything else along with that. So I'm hoping she'll be feeling better again really soon.
I normally go by N on the chat, but it's actually short for...
"No, John, I can't marry you. Why? Because my father won't let me. He says you're not good enough for me, John.
Yes you have big muscles and know how to run a farm, but I need a man that can give me the moon.
You are not the sun. I am." -Pengwin
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That sounds very unpleasant for your mom. I'm praying that she'll recover soon.