For Questions Relating To...

The place for all those "Questions for this fascinating user" threads so they're all in one place!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

For Questions Relating To...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Law enforcement and/or psychology! Figure I might as well get some use out of my fields of knowledge, so I'm opening up the forum for questions!

Ever wonder what happens behind the scenes with cops or the workings in a police station? Curious about law enforcement jobs and what they entail? (with the provision that no confidential info will be given out!) Questions about how the human mind works? Want to know about the motivations behind criminals? Wondering what OCD REALLY means?

Ask away!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

What is OCD? Why are there so many criminals? What does it take to work in law enforcmenent? What's the most top secret thing about that? :dark:

And why do I still think you're a guy?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Marvin D. wrote:What is OCD?
{sighs} you're not supposed to ask such general questions!! :shock:

Lol, it'll take a while to answer in such depth, but I'll give you a short version...and it may take me a while to reply to all the questions!

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder): It is NOT just a label for when someone is super organized or have a weird habit. Definition according to Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).
So basically, it is where someone has repetitive, obsessive, sometimes awful thoughts/feelings that won't go away until they carry out a certain action, often numerous times, at which point they will feel better and be able to move on...until the thoughts come back, which are often associated with certain situations--hence why people repeat these actions whenever something particular is going on or at certain times of the day. These thoughts are irrational and the actions that accompany are often nonsensical and excessive, and this adds additional frustration to the feeling of worry or panic that is already there.
Example: Someone has an irrational fear that they will become deathly ill due to things not being clean. As a result, they clean constantly, scrub their hands 10 times instead of once, avoid anything their mind holds as unclean--even if it is something that has no unclean properties in and of itself (i.e. avoid certain "dirty" numbers or foods or textures, etc.) I talked to someone, who said they knew someone who had to walk through a doorway like, 10 times before they could feel comfortable walking into the room. So no, not just being perfectionistic or habitual. Make sense?
Marvin D. wrote:Why are there so many criminals?
That's a question you can look in your Bible for the answer for...the world is imperfect...people are imperfect...people want things they can't have, people aren't raised to have self-control or patience, and in extreme cases, people's brains lack inhibitions and empathy that normally limit others' behavior.
Marvin D. wrote:What does it take to work in law enforcmenent?
Depends on what field--generally, it takes determination, guts, flexibility, and lots and lots of perseverance and prayer.
Marvin D. wrote:What's the most top secret thing about that? :dark:
It's top secret...can't tell! :-#
Marvin D. wrote: And why do I still think you're a guy?
Umm...cause it takes the brain a long time to adjust to new information when it's been trained to believe something else. :- First impressions and assumptions are hard to overcome, cause it means the brain has to work harder...and it doesn't like working harder!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Have you ever been tasered?

Have you ever arrested a guy and then fell in love with him? \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

American Eagle wrote:Have you ever been tasered?

Have you ever arrested a guy and then fell in love with him? \:D/
Um, well, just to clarify...While I've done a police internship and currently work AT a police station...I am not YET a police officer (praying to be hired soon! :pray: ), and therefore have never had the opportunity to arrest someone...though I'm doubtful that would ever happen! And no, I have not been tasered...thank goodness!

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Can I taser you? \:D/

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Marvin D. wrote:Can I taser you? \:D/
Absolutely not!! :shock:

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

*tasers anyway*

Whoops.

Why do I find your current post count disturbing? :-

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Hahaha, that's such a win. :lol:

he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Marvin D. wrote:*tasers anyway*

Whoops.

Why do I find your current post count disturbing? :-
Because it represents the doom I long to bring on you for tasering me!
American Eagle wrote:Hahaha, that's such a win. :lol:

Lol, wow...guess I'd better watch what my post count is before logging off!

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

You are doom...

Did you realize that you're saying about how old you are if you say that Lisa was a few years younger than you? \:D/

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

yes...most people who know how old she is have an idea anyway if they're on much, as I've made comments on college/post college things...

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

But she's nineteen and in college, and you could be eighteen \:D/

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I also said post-college things...

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

You could be a genius \:D/ I'll be done with grade school by 15, and I could be done with college by 19 \:D/

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Marvin D. wrote:You could be a genius \:D/ I'll be done with grade school by 15, and I could be done with college by 19 \:D/
You, my friend, need to learn modesty...not everyone is quite as genius as you! :- I knew someone who started college at 16...finished at 19 I think...crazy. I could have graduated a year early, but I didn't know enough of my future at that time, and didn't want to get ahead of myself and stop being a teenager yet, so I took another year and graduated with everyone else. And I don't regret it :) It was a good year and gave me time to prepare for college, and get some community college credits under my belt to start me off to full time college.