It's time to say goodbye

for now..

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

Knight Fisher wrote:My one suggestion would be: Could we setup a mailing list for when it comes back up?
1^

-- Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 pm --
The Top Crusader wrote:While not ideal, we can all just hang out at a stinky free forum while we wait for the ToO to return from the dead.

https://townhallrevenge.proboards.com/
Or we can hang out on a Discord server...
https://discord.gg/uNkRrFJ
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Katievoice2 wrote:Hey you guys have been amazing! Go to my website KatieLeigh.com for updates regarding the new Bonus Edition of Adventures in Oddity by me and Will Ryan. We are producing a Videobook! Lots of fun and something good to look forward to!
Wasn't aware Oddity was an actual book. That just got added to the list.
American Eagle wrote:I'm sorry - I just want to be clear.

Is this announcement a joke or part of some type of team event? I would like to know how seriously I should take this news.

It just seems odd that the biggest announcement in the history of the ToO is coming from someone other than Catspaw/Shadowpaw, with a criptic headline, a specially-made banner, and nostalgic background music.
It says something, and it's a good something, about this board that this was your first reaction.
The Top Crusader wrote:While not ideal, we can all just hang out at a stinky free forum while we wait for the ToO to return from the dead.

Dude, Switchflood, ha! I want to know how many people will get that reference.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jonathan wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I'm sorry - I just want to be clear.

Is this announcement a joke or part of some type of team event? I would like to know how seriously I should take this news.

It just seems odd that the biggest announcement in the history of the ToO is coming from someone other than Catspaw/Shadowpaw, with a criptic headline, a specially-made banner, and nostalgic background music.
It says something, and it's a good something, about this board that this was your first reaction.
Haha. Well put. After so many amazing ToO sagas, I'm still secretly hoping that this is the start of some mysterious town takeover.

(But I know it's not.)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

But... ek and darcie already upgraded the phpBB only like eleven years ago. :(

and they did it OVERNIGHT.

(just kidding, I have no memory of how long that process took and I have no doubt it's massively complex! Eugene, thanks for everything you've been doing so far. As soon as someone posts the PayPal link for donations I'll be jumping all over that.)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

American Eagle wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Is this announcement a joke or part of some type of team event? I would like to know how seriously I should take this news.

Haha. Well put. After so many amazing ToO sagas, I'm still secretly hoping that this is the start of some mysterious town takeover.
:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

A2Z wrote:

Or we could hang out on the ToO Chat more. \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

Yes, #aio should always reign supreme for all the SodaTown's instant chat needs.

As far as forums go, I suspect people will defect go over to the Soda Shop. Most of us have accounts there already, along with some preexisting posts and topics, so it's too easy to do (even though the prospect of a forum run by Top is very tempting).
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A2Z wrote:
Knight Fisher wrote:My one suggestion would be: Could we setup a mailing list for when it comes back up?
1^

-- Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:24 pm --

Discord is what all the cool kids use these days so that's probably a better idea.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

If the discord becomes active do we really even NEED the forum? I mean, it’s nice, but so cumbersome in this era of the internet.

-- Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:18 am --
jelly wrote:But... ek and darcie already upgraded the phpBB only like eleven years ago. :(

and they did it OVERNIGHT.

(just kidding, I have no memory of how long that process took and I have no doubt it's massively complex! Eugene, thanks for everything you've been doing so far. As soon as someone posts the PayPal link for donations I'll be jumping all over that.)
If I remember, I think I broke a lot of stuff during that process and it was down for a hot minute, and we lost some features people liked... like that jobs system thing.

It wouldn’t be near as hard to do this upgrade if we relegated it to being a regular forum without all these weirdo RPG add-ons. Shadowpaw, you weeb. :x

-- Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:25 am --

Also I’ll throw some money into a cashapp or PayPal pot or something, I don’t know why we haven’t done it before ever since Shadowpaw become an international hobo, someone needs to cover these hosting costs. :x
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

People've set up Discord servers before (with varying amounts of success; from my understanding, the previous one died out some time back), but I think it'd in any case be a mistake to suppose that it should or even can completely replace a forum.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well yeah at the moment though it would just be nice to have an OFFICIAL "hey we are going to wait around here and someone can tell us when the ToO is alive again" place.

Will the entirety of www.thetoo.com have to be DOWN down? Or can we have a splash page at that address with a link to whatever other thing?
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

Bob wrote:People've set up Discord servers before (with varying amounts of success; from my understanding, the previous one died out some time back), but I think it'd in any case be a mistake to suppose that it should or even can completely replace a forum.
No it can't replace a forum. At least that's what I think. I just set one up as kind of an alternative form of communication while the ToO's down...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh and hey guys my book has a new edition out so be sure to check it out--a revision of the last chapter of the previous version and two brand new extra chapters! There won't be a videobook though because I get threatening letters from lawyers when I don't properly license content.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Is this the kindle edition?
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Hey, good idea with the Discord server! :D I was actually going to suggest the exact same thing. Let's make Odyssey Chat the official temporary replacement thing along with the Discord server. And the Soda Shop can also be a place to check out. I can setup the email list to keep people in the loop and let them know when we're back online.
A2Z wrote:
Bob wrote:People've set up Discord servers before (with varying amounts of success; from my understanding, the previous one died out some time back), but I think it'd in any case be a mistake to suppose that it should or even can completely replace a forum.
No it can't replace a forum. At least that's what I think. I just set one up as kind of an alternative form of communication while the ToO's down...
In my opinion, a Discord server could replace the core function of the ToO, which is communication within our community. But the way the ToO works is unique so it can't be a one-to-one comparison. :shrugs:
The Top Crusader wrote:Will the entirety of http://www.thetoo.com have to be DOWN down? Or can we have a splash page at that address with a link to whatever other thing?
YES!! :yes: I mean no... :no: I mean we'll still have the server space to host other things like a splash page with a helpful explanation, links, and such. I'll probably also put the email sign-up list on there too.
EK wrote:
jelly wrote:But... ek and darcie already upgraded the phpBB only like eleven years ago. :(
It wouldn’t be near as hard to do this upgrade if we relegated it to being a regular forum without all these weirdo RPG add-ons. Shadowpaw, you weeb. :x
EXACTLY! I mean, we will be losing certain things because-- well, just because --which is okie dokie; things change. But the main board content would still be present. Unfortunately, because of all the MODs that we use, the database is a little wonky to upgrade. That's gonna be the tricky part. Meanwhile, remaking the style will be the more time-consuming part. Basically everything that's a part of this board that isn't core functionality of phpBB will need to be reworked, removed, replaced, or something. And there are A LOT of little things that were added through MODs, including the addition of subtitles for topics, double-post prevention, and more helpful last post links in topic/forum lists. So it's a little different than the last big upgrade too! :-

-----

As for monetary donations, here's a link to donate: https://matthewbird.ca/paypal/. I'd just like to be clear that this is my personal PayPal. If you'd like to donate to Shadowpaw to help with hosting costs or anyone else for their time, then either send me a PM or message those people directly. Again, I am ever so grateful for the assistance for my time and expertise in this project. :)

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Just make a list of what really need to be added.... which is pretty much just some quality of life things, and delete everything else. :lol:

Archive all the styles and make a new one.

Sounds like so much less of a headache.

-- Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:12 am --

It's time this place moved past fake money. >_>
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

EK wrote:Is this the kindle edition?
Technically eventually the Kindle edition will be updated. Maybe. Should the good Lord tarry.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

EK wrote: It's time this place moved past fake money. >_>
What about the election fee? ;)
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Bren wrote:
EK wrote: It's time this place moved past fake money. >_>
What about the election fee? ;)
Haha. But yeah if that is one of the main hiccups I think we could survive without it and get it added back in later maybe. Or not. I mean clearly I should be dictator for life so it would negate the need for elections and far as I know that is all the money does now?

Man I miss having the little action figure doll things of all the mod teams. :(
A2Z
Fourscore and seven

Post by A2Z »

What't the currency exchange rate for ToO money??? \:D/
shnoodlec
Tallying up

Post by shnoodlec »

Thought I'd mention that there's also an unofficial OdysseyChat server that's been around for about a year and a half! I'm even planning to add the classic ToO emotes, as well as classic game threads and more, whatever y'all want.

https://discord.gg/H9ehZYw
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread HERE. come find me on the ToO chat if you dare.