It's time to say goodbye

for now..

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:
Bren wrote:
EK wrote: It's time this place moved past fake money. >_>
What about the election fee? ;)
Haha. But yeah if that is one of the main hiccups I think we could survive without it and get it added back in later maybe. Or not. I mean clearly I should be dictator for life so it would negate the need for elections and far as I know that is all the money does now?

Man I miss having the little action figure doll things of all the mod teams. :(
Just to clarify, I am dictator for life, so Top cannot be. :noway:

If there was no money, we would find a different way to do election qualifications. As much as the money is fun, it isn't essential to the daily ToO operations. Nice to have, yes. Impossible to have the site without, no.

However, if any of the smileys change, I will leave immediately in protest and leave Top in charge as my revenge. The ToO has the best smileys of any place ever and I wish that I could use them in texts and all other online or typing contexts. :yes:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Catspaw wrote:However, if any of the smileys change, I will leave immediately in protest and leave Top in charge as my revenge. The ToO has the best smileys of any place ever and I wish that I could use them in texts and all other online or typing contexts. :yes:
I will be protesting right along side you, Catspaw! :protest: :boohoo:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

nooooo :(

i really really hope the ToO isn't down permanently, although i completely understand the difficulty of completing the tasks with very little reward. if a paypal thing is put up do let me know!

and i agree, the emojis on the ToO are one of a kind \:D/
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Eugene wrote: As for monetary donations, here's a link to donate: https://matthewbird.ca/paypal/. I'd just like to be clear that this is my personal PayPal. If you'd like to donate to Shadowpaw to help with hosting costs or anyone else for their time, then either send me a PM or message those people directly. Again, I am ever so grateful for the assistance for my time and expertise in this project. :)
For anyone who missed this.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I'm hoping eventually we can replicate some features that we'll be loosing after the update but that will take time remake them (a long time). I'm hoping to get things back up as soon as possible and then after it's running again and open for use work on the new theme and go from there. but the database is a mess right now, it's so large it doesn't even want to export properly to run tests on
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Looking forward to the notifications system like SS.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Reddo wrote:I'm hoping eventually we can replicate some features that we'll be loosing after the update but that will take time remake them (a long time). I'm hoping to get things back up as soon as possible and then after it's running again and open for use work on the new theme and go from there. but the database is a mess right now, it's so large it doesn't even want to export properly to run tests on
if you have to delete posts to make the tests run smoothly then please start with mine
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

American Eagle wrote:
Reddo wrote:I'm hoping eventually we can replicate some features that we'll be loosing after the update but that will take time remake them (a long time). I'm hoping to get things back up as soon as possible and then after it's running again and open for use work on the new theme and go from there. but the database is a mess right now, it's so large it doesn't even want to export properly to run tests on
if you have to delete posts to make the tests run smoothly then please start with mine
Nah, I would start with Top. He has the most useless posts. :D
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

If anyone wants something non-post related saved such as their blog or whatever else there is (I'm not super familiar with anything here outside of the whit's end section) I'd recommend saving it post haste
Reddo
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

This doesn't include PMs, does it?
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

If you're exporting straight from the boards administration panel, I'd recommend going straight to phpmyadmin or whatever management software this place uses and extracting necessary fields there.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Yeah it's phpmyadmin and it's still not behaving
Reddo
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I don't really understand the goodbye comments here... This topic's OP is weird. The system will be upgraded, but it's not going away. Posts and PMs will absolutely be saved. Added features like blogs, shop/points, and wall comments on profiles are what you can expect to lose.
EK wrote:
jelly wrote:But... ek and darcie already upgraded the phpBB only like eleven years ago. :(

and they did it OVERNIGHT.

(just kidding, I have no memory of how long that process took and I have no doubt it's massively complex! Eugene, thanks for everything you've been doing so far. As soon as someone posts the PayPal link for donations I'll be jumping all over that.)
If I remember, I think I broke a lot of stuff during that process and it was down for a hot minute, and we lost some features people liked... like that jobs system thing.
Ten years, April 2010. And no one updated it since! We ran the update overnight, but it took planning in the weeks beforehand. This update will go similarly but on a tighter schedule. I'm working out kinks now to do it again. Downtime then was planned as this will be.
EK wrote:It wouldn’t be near as hard to do this upgrade if we relegated it to being a regular forum without all these weirdo RPG add-ons. Shadowpaw, you weeb. :x
Seriously. :roll:

EK wrote:
If you're exporting straight from the boards administration panel, I'd recommend going straight to phpmyadmin or whatever management software this place uses and extracting necessary fields there.
The database isn't a mess. It has a lot of additions that there are not modern equivalents for.
Reddo wrote:Yeah it's phpmyadmin and it's still not behaving
No, it's behaving fine.

I'm not sure what's up here. I was asked to help a few months ago, but I don't really have time. Now there's a deadline and I was pulled in again on Friday. There's a lot of misinformation is in this topic.
*disappears into the site code again*
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Ooooo snarky Darcie.

Yeah it shouldn’t be too hard. Just gut most of the features.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for taking time to help and share helpful info, Darcie. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results of everyone's hard work!
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Hey everyone!

So tomorrow (Thursday, September 17th) is the day that the ToO will go offline. To be clear, it will be temporary! There will be a holding page put up that will have links to the new Discord server, as well as the Soda Shop, etc. There will also be a form to sign up for an email list which will be used to announce when the ToO will be back online. \:D/

While I can't promise exactly how long we'll be down, I don't expect it to take very long. We'll see though. :mrgreen:

I'm saving a backup so we'll have a copy of everything as it is now. If you don't get to save something you wanted before we go offline, then it'll be able to be retrieved in the future. Other than that, I can guarantee the following information will be transferred to the new board:
  • User accounts, including sigs and avys
  • Forums, topics, and posts
  • Private messages
  • Smilies and added BBCodes
We will be losing the following:
  • Blogs and blog posts
  • Profile comments
  • Status messages
  • Added functionality such as money, shop, and arcade
Once the core message boards are dealt with and back online, we'll evaluate what features can be brought back slowly in the future. Unfortunately, most of the MODs that we currently use were abandoned long ago and are not compatible with the new version of phpBB. So we'll see if we can rebuild them afterwards.

A huge thank you to everyone who is helping with the upgrade. I'll probably reach out to those who have volunteered to help once we have dealt with the database (which is really a one-person job). And thank you to everyone here for pitching in on this discussion and showing such patience and encouragement.

So, I'll leave it at that. We aren't moving to the Discord server permanently, but if you'd like to join everyone who's there, then here are the links:
See you soonsies! :D

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Thanks for the thoughtful update, Eugene! I'm so glad it looks like the ToO won't be down for as long as we initially thought it might. \:D/
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

MY BLOG! :( :( :(

(where do you find the blogs again..?)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Blogs can be found here: https://thetoo.com/blog.php \:D/

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I'll miss the ToO, for whatever time it will be down.

I know Eugene gave some great temporary replacements/alternatives while it's down. I would also add, for those that have Facebook, there are 2 major groups that have (usually) more conversations and discussions than the ones here.

The AIO Trivia group is mainly general discussions, but with no spoilers. Club episodes are not discussed there until after a month. The mainstream episodes are only discussed after they air on the radio.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Aiotrivia

If you can't wait that long, the AIO Spoilers group is dedicated to talking about new episodes as soon as they come out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/889761617739422/

I guess it's more of goodbye money than goodbye ToO. :panic: