Mr. Whittaker

Isn't he rather old?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
lindawn
Just visiting

Mr. Whittaker

Post by lindawn »

Recently I got to thinking about Mr. Whittaker, and how old he is. If he was in WWII, isn't he kind of old to be running an ice cream shop? Most of the people I know who are WWII vets have already died. Why hasn't he died yet? Just curious.
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Is there a right and wrong age for owning an ice cream shop?
My grandma was alive, actually married with children, during WWII and she's just fine.
It's a fictional show. :D
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

We have to remember, too, that the show doesn't necessarily take place in real time. It took years for Connie to get beyond 16, and years for Lucy to get beyond 12! (I think Lucy only began aging after they took her off the program--that's why I could only say she was in her early twenties, and no older, when my character married her.) The Novacom saga aired over a few years, but it took only a few months of Odyssey time. Rodney has hopped between middle school and high school ever since Lucy was a kid on the show. Anyway, with all the AIO time warps, Whit might not be as old as we think. But maybe he is, since ajamj pointed out that some people are still up and going strong at that age. Who knows? Never let it be said that I don't. I don't, but never let it be said. :-$

--Kris Doyle
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Of course you must remember that the show started nearly 20 years ago back in '87... which would have made Whit only 60... (I figure he must have joined the navy around the year 1942 when he was 18 and so that would mean he was born in 1927, which would make Whit 60 in 1987)
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

Who cares if he's old? He's nice... \:D/ Go old people who haven't retired!

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

My grandpa was in WW2 when he was 18. He's 79, and still has a farm, takes care of my horses and stuff. He's getting slower, but still going strong! I was thinking Whit (if we didn't have Odyssey's crazy timelines to consider) might be about 80. Just because someone's older doesn't mean they drop out of life, in fact, I think involvement of some sort keeps them going. That's what my grandma says anyway. :)
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

*waits for the thud Whit will make when he hits the floor*
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

At this point, I can pretty much say Odyssey and its surrounding area is mainly one huge temporal dysfunction...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Gabriel Dragsack
Found

Post by Gabriel Dragsack »

He is sooooo old. I'm amazed the old codger's still alive! :thud:
:laughat: :laughat: :laughat: :laughat: :laughat:
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

Eh, Whit is timeless. Kris is right, Odyssey has never really operated in real time. I mean, heck. Think how old Connie should be by now! Odyssey is timeless, and you can't have Odyssey without Whit, so he's timeless too! :thumbsup:
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

isn't whit the same age as tom? In "A Matter Of Obedience" Tom says he was about 11 back in the 1930's. Wouldn't that make them, like, :-k pushing 80 years old. Most kids don't really like talking to really old people...
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote: Most kids don't really like talking to really old people...
Which kids are those?

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

ajamj wrote:
ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote: Most kids don't really like talking to really old people...
Which kids are those?
Older people can sometimes seem awfully old and slow, but they can have a lot of interesting stories to share and can also have some very wise advice! Whit obviously fits both of those items. Donna sums it up in "Modesty is the Best Policy" - "I told him the whole story for the same reason that we always do - we trust him." (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of things). No matter how old Whit is, that doesn't change, and that's why kids can still talk to him. :D
wooton_bassett
OK

Post by wooton_bassett »

the writers wouldn't want him to retire...neither would the listeners...why make him retire
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Whit always makes me think of a wise, loving grandpa.

Everyone should have a happy dance.
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Two words: Bob Barker ;)
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
wooton_bassett
OK

Post by wooton_bassett »

There would be no odyssey without whit
"I'm a neat freak and a toy geek. Rarely do the two go together but I guess I'm the exception."
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

wooton_bassett wrote:There would be no odyssey without whit
That's true... I like whit even if he is about to croak.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote:
wooton_bassett wrote:There would be no odyssey without whit
That's true... I like whit even if he is about to croak.
Whit is many things, but Kermit the Frog is not one of those things. ;) I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

The bottom line: Whit is an aging, never-to-die man. Whit is the central character of Odyssey. Without Whit, there's no Odyssey. Even when Hal Smith died, they couldn't just say goodbye to Whit and have him buried in the Odyssey cemetary. He had to leave Odyssey and hopefully come back someday. Now when it's Paul Herlinger's time to go, Odyssey may be at a crossroads.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org