AIO: The Amazing Race

Race the streets of Odyssey for the ultimate prize!

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

1 grand prize, 1 town, 1 winner.

A variation of the Bennett Charles’ original Amazing Race from the TH, I'm proud to announce the Town of Odyssey’s inaugural season of TAR! \:D/ Contestants will travel throughout the city of Odyssey in hopes of winning the grand prize of a yet to be determined amount. The more racers we have, the higher the prize! While I need a minimum of 10 contestants, the max limit will be 20 racers. Contrary to the current reality TV show, there will not be teams of two. Instead, you will be racing on your own. However, if I receive enough interest, I plan on implementing a two-player race for season two. Stay tuned. :)

Latest update available here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Rules

1. Each round (otherwise known as a “leg”), I will post the destination. This will come without notice and could occur at any time.
2. For the first two rounds, racers will “Check In” by private messaging me. Pretty simple. As the game progresses, I will quickly incorporate additional instructions. It will ultimately be no longer a matter of simply checking in. :badgrin:
3. I will be posting the positions of the racers in the order that they check in. Note that I may not post immediately after you check in. We must have some suspense for the racers, after all. ;)
4. The last person to “Check In” will be eliminated. Additionally, if a contestant, for whatever reason, does not check in within 48 hours (2 days) of the time I posted the destination, that racer will automatically be eliminated. We’ll just have to assume that the individual got lost on the way to the destination. :lol:
5. Think of the game like musical chairs. Each leg, one racer will be eliminated. We will continue the game until only three racers remain. At that point, the last leg will commence and the winner will be the first team to “Check In” on that final leg.

Details

1. Entry fee will be $75.
2. If you’re interested in playing, please post here. If you have any questions, please private message me.
3. Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. The door closes on May 7th at 12am Pacific Time (3 am Eastern) OR when all available positions have been filled.
4. Winner will receive 35% of all entries fees, runner-up will receive 10%, and third-place will receive 5%.

AIO: Amazing Race – FAQ

Q: When is the entry fee due?
Q: The entry fee is due by May 8th at 12am Pacific Time (3am Eastern).

Q: How will this game compare to the corresponding reality TV show?
A: This particular game will be, in many ways, akin and dissimilar to the TV show. There will not be roadblocks or fast forwards in this game. Due to the nature of “online racing,” it would be too complicating to implement those tasks into this game. Right now. ;) But make no mistake, this game will not be without its fair share of twists. On the other hand, like the show, there will be rewards handed out at the end of predetermined legs. Instead of vacations, however, I will be giving out varying amounts of ToO money.

Q: Will the game get harder as it progresses? It seems like it's more a game of luck than anything else.
A: Indeed, the first two rounds of TAR will be primarily based on chance. However, this is the very reason why I will be throwing further obstacles into the game as it progresses. It will eventually be no longer a matter of simply stating "I'm checking in." I plan on gradually integrating various AIO elements into this race. After all, this is "AIO: The Amazing Race." ;)

Q: How exactly will the game play out?
A: I’ve listed an example below of how one leg (round) will play out. Italics represent an action, regular text denotes the message posted or PM-ed.

Mandy, Jared, and Liz, Connie, and Lucy are racing

Trent posts: Leg 1 has begun. Destination will be posted within the next 48 hours.
<random time interval between 1-48 hours>
Trent posts: For your first destination, travel to Tom Riley’s farm. "Check in" by PM-ing me. Please include “Amazing Race: Leg 1” in your subject title. Last one to check in will be eliminated.
Mandy PMs Trent: Mandy Straussberg, checking in at Tom Riley’s farm!
Connie PMs Trent: Connie Kendall, checking in!
Jared PMs Trent: Jared DeWhite, checkin in!
Liz PMs Trent: Liz Horton, checking in!
Lucy PMs Trent: Lucy Shultz, checking in!
Trent posts: Mandy, you are racer number ONE! As the winner of this leg of the race, you have won $10! Connie, you are racer number TWO! Jared, you are racer number THREE! Liz, you are racer number FOUR! Lucy, you are the last racer to check in. I’m sorry to say you’ve been eliminated from the race.
Trent posts: Leg 1 has ended. Enjoy your overnight stay at Tom Riley’s farm.

If you wish to join, please post here! Like I said earlier, if you have any questions, please private message me. I will continue to add to the above FAQ if necessary.

List of Contestants

-Sonuna Hydris
-dancer02248
-mdb17
-Sarah
-Simbelmyne34
-Evil Chick
-Elf of Rivendell
-PonysHorses
-beka8910
-David O
-Flyah
-Chandler
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Fri May 06, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 37 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I am proud of my "posting on forums at insane times of day and/or night" abilities. Consider me in...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i would like to join
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

I'd be interested in joining but it sounds like it's more a game of luck than anything else. If you're on the computer at the time that you post the destination, you will be a winner. That would be one reason I would be hesitant at this point to join the game. If somehow, some skill was added for the second 'season' I'd be more interested. I will follow the game with interest this time around. Perhaps if you're getting desparate later for additional contestants I will jump in.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

Count me in.. do i just donate the money ot oyu or what?
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Ohh, sounds fun. Count me in, I'm sending the money now. :)

Sarah
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Flyah wrote:I'd be interested in joining but it sounds like it's more a game of luck than anything else. If you're on the computer at the time that you post the destination, you will be a winner. That would be one reason I would be hesitant at this point to join the game. If somehow, some skill was added for the second 'season' I'd be more interested. I will follow the game with interest this time around. Perhaps if you're getting desparate later for additional contestants I will jump in.
In response to your comment, Flyah, I've updated the FAQ. I must agree with you, to some extent. Admittedly, the first couple rounds of TAR will be primarily based on chance. However, this is the very reason why I will be throwing further obstacles into the game as it progresses. Like I stated in the FAQ, it will eventually be no longer a matter of simply stating "I'm checking in." I plan on quickly integrating various AIO elements into this race. After all, this is "AIO: The Amazing Race." ;)

Remember, if you wish to join, please post here! If you have any questions, please private message me. All updates posted within the past two days will be in RED.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
PonysHorses
Found

Post by PonysHorses »

That is a cool Contest! How do you like your add in my signature??
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

PonysHorses wrote:That is a cool Contest! How do you like your add in my signature??
I like it! :D
PonysHorses
Found

Post by PonysHorses »

Thanks! :D
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

This does sound fun. I believe I will join you guys as well.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

Ok i'm all paid!!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

For the interest of order, etc., I'd like to ask those who have already joined not to post here until the race begins. Don't worry, I'll let you know when you can begin chatting it up with your fellow contestants. ;) But for the present, I'd like to keep this thread clear for those who have not signed up yet. I will continue to periodically update this thread, so keep your eye on this page!

As always, if you wish to join and have not done so, please post here and let me know! If you have any questions or comments, please private message them to me.

List of Contestants

-Sonuna Hydris
-dancer02248
-mdb17
-Sarah
-Simbelmyne34
-Evil Chick
-Elf of Rivendell
-PonysHorses
-beka8910
-David O
-Flyah
-Chandler
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Fri May 06, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Count moi in.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

What a cool idea! I finally got around to checking this thread (Thanks for the info Trent!) and I think it sounds like a lot of fun, but since I pretty much am only on here at one time during the day, I don't think I would a very likely chance to win........
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

I'll join.

Yep.
Not dead yet.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

alright, I'm playing.
...I hate marquees.
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

Wow! quite a few people are playing!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Huzzah! The Town of Odyssey has been saved and the Amazing Race will commence, as promised, shortly after May 7th. For those who are eager to learn more . . .

Latest update is available here.

Please remember, contestants, that you will need to be actively involved in this game if you wish to win. This game will require you to visit at least once daily. Those who do not visit the ToO frequently will quickly find themselves eliminated. :(

As posted here:

Due to the fact we have a number of people from varying time zones, the clue will be posted within different time slots for each given round. Thus, I will not post consecutive clues in the AM or PM Eastern. In other words, one clue will be posted in AM Eastern, while the following clue will be posted in PM Eastern. The next clue will be posted in AM Eastern, and so on and so forth. I feel this is the best solution given the circumstances. I will continue to assess the whole issue of time posted.

As always, if you wish to join and have not done so, please post here and let me know! If you have any questions or comments, please private message them to me.

List of Contestants

-Sonuna Hydris (paid)
-dancer02248 (paid)
-mdb17 (paid)
-Sarah (paid)
-Simbelmyne34 (paid)
-Evil Chick (paid)
-Elf of Rivendell (paid)
-PonysHorses (paid)
-beka8910 (paid)
-David O (paid)
-Flyah (paid)
-Chandler (paid)
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Fri May 06, 2005 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

The reason I havn't paid is because I'm dropping out. You said that the destination will be posted in to morning and I never have the computer in the morning. I'm dropping out.
...I hate marquees.