30 Hour Famine!

Teenagers who don't eat for 30 hours and raise money for starving kids.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

30 Hour Famine!

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

It's a World Vision program that youth groups all over the country are participating in! Our youth group is one of many that is doing this. Just wondering if anyone else is doing it this year and if so, here's the link to the website! Get signed up and wake up that message board! :p

Did you know that $1 will feed a child for an entire day! $30 for a month, $365 for a year! Sponser a kid! Find someone who is doing the famine and sponser them! Mail ME money if you want to. I promise I won't keep it. :p

http://www.30hourfamine.org/?lid=topnav ... pos=topnav
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
BONES BONES BONES BONES
Last edited by Jennifer Doyle on Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Wow that is pretty neat. It's neat to see how they are helping children for so little! \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

The church I do Bible Bowl with does it. \:D/

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I wanted to do it at this one church I went to but I was too new and didn't have the details, etc.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I did this once in junior high - it is a good program, but unfortunately, World Vision has fairly high administrative costs. :( I think there are some groups that have a larger percentage of the funds that actually go to the cause they're promoting, though the name of the one that I used to know about escapes me at the moment. :-k
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Catspaw wrote:I did this once in junior high - it is a good program, but unfortunately, World Vision has fairly high administrative costs. :(
What does that mean? :-k
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I did this once in junior high - it is a good program, but unfortunately, World Vision has fairly high administrative costs. :(
The official explanation:
Costs incurred for a common or joint purpose that benefits more than one cost objective, supports the general management and administration of a First 5 commission, and/or those costs not readily assignable to a specifically benefited cost objective.

My translation:
Money put towards one purpose that other costs take. It can support the people running the programs and such.
---
Anyways, my high school's Bible Club might do it, but it's not for sure..
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Kind of what Kenric said! \:D/ It means that they have costs that mean that not all of their funds rasied go directly to the causes that they advertise. Of course, some costs of this nature are necessary - paperwork, personnel, advertising etc. Some companies just manage to keep those numbers a bit lower than World Vision does/used to. The number that I heard a few years ago was 20% in administrative costs, though I don't know what it is at the moment. :)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Catspaw wrote:
Jennifer Doyle wrote:
Kind of what Kenric said! \:D/ It means that they have costs that mean that not all of their funds rasied go directly to the causes that they advertise. Of course, some costs of this nature are necessary - paperwork, personnel, advertising etc. Some companies just manage to keep those numbers a bit lower than World Vision does/used to. The number that I heard a few years ago was 20% in administrative costs, though I don't know what it is at the moment. :)
Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. Yes, not 100% of the money goes to the children, but it would be really impossible to run the place if that was the case, I honestly believe. 13% of the donations to World Vision go toward admin costs, etc. Meaning 87% goes to the kids. :)

------------

After the famine:

There are two dates that teens nationally and internationally participate in the famine, one of them was last Friday-Saturday! It was pretty awesome!

Our youth pastor was one of the leaders of the whole thing in Seattle this year and his goal was to make it much more about prayer instead of just doing things to keep our minds off of it.

So we stopped eating Friday morning @ 6:00 and didn't eat again until 12:00 on Saturday. We did community service projects OR a group of us went and "pan handled" with cardboard signs about Children dying and how little money it took to save people, etc.

Then Saturday morning, the person who'd raised the most money won an IPod Nano!! [That was a total surprise, but really cool.] [I earned $700 for World Vision/people so I got it!]

And our 4-5 youth groups earned over $5,000 total!! How amazing is that?!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

You won an Ipod Nano? *wishes her youth group had done 30 hour famine* Oh, well, there's always next year!

(I really wanted to do it, before I knew you could win an Ipod. :-) I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression of me.)
DrBlackgaard
Gold Member

Post by DrBlackgaard »

hehe, I go without eating for 30 hours now and then anyway.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

I want an Ipod Nano. :(

One of my friends just recently did the 30 hour famine. She said she went to a friend's house during and they eat in front of her. :(

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I was at a friends house last night and his cousin 9and my friend) is doing it. :D
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

my former church did it...gotta be careful though. my sister had issues with anorexia at the time, and it just triggered her to go without for 30 hours. so caution: please dont do it if you have an eating disorder.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Rachael wrote:
(I really wanted to do it, before I knew you could win an Ipod. :-) I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression of me.)
I felt kind of weird about accepting it. I mean, the $$ for it could have fed a child for 2/3 of a year.

It might have been donated though. I know all of the official World Vision [shirts and stuff] prizes are donated.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Our youth group is going to do the famine sometime this April. I think I might participate.

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

I've participated in that several times! Once our group raised about $4000, I believe!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

SivartM wrote:I've participated in that several times! Once our group raised about $4000, I believe!
WOWZA! Awesomeness!
the_newfie_haystack wrote:Our youth group is going to do the famine sometime this April. I think I might participate.

Haystack
I hope you do, it's a really great experience. You help others and grow a bit yourself. At least I do everytime I've done it. :D
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
SivartM wrote:I've participated in that several times! Once our group raised about $4000, I believe!
WOWZA! Awesomeness!
Yeah, it was pretty cool! Once when we made shelters out of cardboard boxes to sleep in outside (usually it's raining so we sleep inside) they had the police come pretend to arrest us.
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
WOWZA! Awesomeness!
the_newfie_haystack wrote:Our youth group is going to do the famine sometime this April. I think I might participate.

Haystack
I hope you do, it's a really great experience. You help others and grow a bit yourself. At least I do everytime I've done it. :D
Good news. I'm doing it! However, I'm doing it on Mar.31 to Apr.1. I'm staying overnight at my church with my youth group. I'm concerned about two things.
1: How I'm going to survive 30 hours without food.
2: Whether I'm going to get pranked. (After all, April 1 is April Fools Day.)

Haystack
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings