Meaning of Your Name

What does your REAL name mean?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Meaning of Your Name

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Indeed, you must be willing to disclose your real name in order to post here. ;) Or if you have an alias, you can give the meaning of your fake name. But I'd prefer your real name.

. . . or you can give both!

Trent
Origin: Latin, Old English
Meaning: torrent, dweller by the Trent (a city of northern Italy northwest of Venice)

Chris (short for Christopher)
Origin: Greek
Meaning: Christ-bearer
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

*cough*
Sarah
Meaning: Princess
Origin: Hebrew

Yep... that's what mine means...My mom told me what it meant when I was around 4, which wasn't good judgement on her behalf, because ever since then, I expected them to treat my like a princess. :P My friend Sadie, found out that's what hers meant too, so we were both mad when our parents wouldn't let us buy crowns. [-(

Sarah
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I have no idea what Frank or Frank's Real Name means. (but will now go and look them up on "name.com" or whatever site has that resource.)

Okay, am now back from www.babynamesworld.com and www.behindthename.com and have found out that Frank means "A Free Man" and is derived from that Germanic tribe, the Franks. (So it's german.)

Wouldn't ya know, Frank's Real Name is German too...I was named after a German foreign exchange student that attended my parents' wedding...they liked her name and so Americanized the spelling and gave it to me!
Andrea Meltsner
I've been working out

Post by Andrea Meltsner »

Andrea
Feminine form of Andrew
used in:English, German, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Scandinavian
Meaning of Andrew; From the Greek name Andreas, which derives from aner "man" (genitive andros "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, and Greece. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.

Elizabeth
Feminine English/ Bibical name meaning; From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance". In the New Testament this is the name of the mother of John the Baptist. It was also borne by the 12th-century Saint Elizabeth, a daughter of King Andrew II of Hungary who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. It was also the name of a ruling queen of England and an empress of Russia. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II and actress Elizabeth Taylor.
Doctor Who is Awesome

I couldn't stay away

Nerdfighter for Life!
Larry The Pickle
If posts were pigs...
Location: An uncharted Island, thought to exist only in myth.

Post by Larry The Pickle »

Jonathan = God's gracious gift.
Evolution is a faith, not a science!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Jman 009 wrote:Jonathan = God's gracious gift.
Hey, what a coinkadinkt, same here :)

-Jonathan
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Laura: Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel". In ancient Rome the leaves of laurel trees were used to create victors' garlands. Saint Laura was a 9th-century Spanish martyr, a nun who was thrown into a vat of molten lead by the Moors. Another famous bearer was Laura Secord, a Canadian heroine during the War of 1812.

And my real name shall remain anonymous. :-$
Last edited by Laura Ingalls on Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Brian:The meaning of this name is not known for certain but it is possibly related to the Old Celtic element bre meaning "hill", or by extension "high, noble". Brian Boru was an Irish king who thwarted Viking attempts to conquer Ireland in the 11th century. He was victorious in the Battle of Clontarf, but he himself was slain.

Matthew:English form of Matthaios, which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name Mattithyahu which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

Though the little plaque thing on my wall says "Strength, Virtue" or something like that.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Name: Stephanie
Orgin: Greek
Meaning: Crown

Last Name: Curtis
abbreviated form of courteous (which makes sense because some spellings are Courtice)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

The Top Crusader wrote:Matthew:English form of Matthaios, which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name Mattithyahu which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.
Supposedly? :-s I had always assumed it was him, indeed.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Heh, well... according to http://www.behindthename.com, anyway... I don't know if we dare challenge their biblical authority... :)
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Heidi German origin, meaning: Battle Maiden (fitting, huh? ;))

Marie French origin, meaning: Bitter Sea
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Amanda:
Origin: Latin
Meaning: love, worthy of love, precious thing

Lynn:
Origin: Anglo-Saxon
Meaning: a cascade

Cascade in the dictionary:

A waterfall or a series of small waterfalls over steep rocks.
Something, such as lace, thought to resemble a waterfall or series of small waterfalls, especially an arrangement or fall of material.
A succession of stages, processes, operations, or units.
Electronics. A series of components or networks, the output of each of which serves as the input for the next.
A chemical or physiological process that occurs in successive stages, each of which is dependent on the preceding one, and often producing a cumulative effect: an enzymatic cascade.

intr. & tr.v. cas·cad·ed, cas·cad·ing, cas·cades
To fall or cause to fall in or as if in a cascade.

](*,)

But, as for Monday, I beleive it is just another day of the week.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Marie: Yes, that's right...it's of French origin and it means "bitter sea". Or it stems from "bitter" in Hebrew.

I'm a bitter person. Muhaha.

Seriously though, why do so many people have Marie as their middle names? Seems like I'm the only one with it as a first name.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I did some research for you, Monday. According to experts.about.com:

"The names of our weekdays originated with the Romans. The Latin word for day is "dies." The concept for a 7 day week is said to have originated in ancient times in West Asia, most likely in Mesopotamia. Prior to the 7 day week, there were weeks of different lenghts, i.e., 8 days.

At the time that the Romans assigned Latin names to each day, it was thought that everything revolved around the earth. As the Romans saw it, there were 7 celestial bodies revolving around the earth...the sun, moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn.

Now for the Latin names:

Sunday (dies solis) = Sun's day
Monday (dies lunae = Moon's day
Tuesday (dies Martis = Mars' day
Wednesday (dies Mercuru) = Mercury's day
Thursday (dies Jovis) = Thor's day
Friday (dies Veneris) = Venus' day
Saturday (dies Saturn) = Saturn's day

In most languages, the days are either translated directly from Latin or assigned corresponding names of local divinities. If you are familiar with Spanish, the names of the 7 days is very close to Latin. Only 5 come to mind: Monday=Lunes, Tuesday=Martis, Wednesday=Miercolis, Thursday=Jueves, Friday=Viernes. I'm certain that you can find the same similarities in other languages."
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Wow, thank you! Moon's Day, I can get use to that very easily. :D
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Julie: Origin: Latin
Meaning: Soft-haired, youthful

Cowgirl isn't a name I guess... "Your search did not match any names."
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I shall have to someday name my daughter Cowgirl, then. :D
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

one says mine means wealthy, the other says it means gift..
I have no clue which one is right.
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

It means your a wealthy gift!
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.