575: "Prisoners Of Fear II"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

So what'd you think?

5 Stars *****
39%
4 Stars ****
45%
3 Stars ***
13%
2 Stars **
No votes
1 Star *
3%

Total votes: 31

Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Reviews from AIOHQ

From Rhonda Simpson
Rating: 4 stars
I love that the characters of Katrina and Eugene are back. Also the
blanks are being filled in about what happened during their absence.

From Brenden, age 10
Rating: 3 stars
It was a great ep. Except for the fact that Mr. and Mrs. Meltsner
are DEAD! :(

From Paul B
Eugenes quest to finds his parnts wisnt gowing well.Hes found out
there both dead.what will happen on the rest of eugene and katrinas adventures.

From RileyK
I have only heard 15 minutes so far but it is VERY exiting!

From Robert, age 13
Rating: 2 1/2 stars
It was good but I didn't enjoy the fact that The parents of Eugene
were dead... Hopefully #3 will be better.

From Bradford G, age 15
Rating: 3 1/2 stars
I enjoyed the episode, but I felt so bad for Eugene. But I don't think we've heard everything so I can't wait to hear Part 3!

From EugeneFan23, age 11
I like this episode. I still don't think that Eugene's father is dead. I guess we will see! It was a good episode.

From Matthew, age 16
I liked it alot. I can't wait till the next ep.

From Nathan Ehnis, age 17
Getting better. Hard to follow, but that's what makes an Odyssey ep good!

From SManBeyond, age 20
After being pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the first part of this saga, I was once again amazed to find that "Prisoners of Fear" Part 2 hit the same "high" standard.

Now I must confess that I had my doubts because I knew that starting at this point, the episode could go horribly wrong. The temptation would have been to drag out the suspense as to whether Eugene's parents were alive or not throughout the remaining two parts with a final revelation towards the middle or end of Part 3. However, since we are hearing the episode in flashback, we know that Eugene could NOT have found his parents alive. Otherwise, once he had returned to Odyssey, he would have been relaying the tremendous news to Whit and all the other people he met.

Given all that, it was nice to hear that instead any "suspense" was not only tolerable, but ended by the end of this part.

The pacing of this episode was very good. In particular, Younger succeeded by having Eugene only directly speculate about his parents' fate long enough for it to be realistic in how Eugene would react, but short enough to the point that it did not insult our intelligence. He threw in enough adventure aspects (such as the bridge that triggered the rushing flood, the "snake", etc.) that it kept the story interesting.

Likewise, the explanation about what happened to Eugene's parents is what I expect of a "realistic" one: Simple once you discover it, yet believable. Given the unknown nature of this part of the African region, the rivalries from other archeologist, and the lack of better communication tools and devices back when Leonard and Thelma were presumably captured, I buy that no one was ever able to find them.

Another aspect I particularly liked was how Younger had Eugene be once again "too late", a theme that constantly happened with his grandfather, Whit, Katrina (after his conversion), Dean Joshua, etc.

Similarly, the dialogue was particularly strong. I must confess that I laughed both at a well-written line where Katrina expresses her doubts in Eugene's ability to fight of a snake with a knife, as well as the scene where Eugene attempts to scare off what he believes in the unseen snake by talking to it and actually pulling out his knife. Younger's experience for writing for all these characters as well as for creating small comic situations clearly shows.

Now, four final comments:

First, I am going to give up determining when Eugene COULD have returned to find his parents alive. "Two years ago" doesn't really seem to exist in AIO time, unless that was before 1996 when Connie was still 16.

Secondly, a minor and only possibly probable plot hole: The pilot from the first part of the episode said he believed in the curse. However, wouldn't he at least have noticed the dam while flying around the region? Wouldn't that have piqued his interest given that Eugene and Katrina were also similarly surprised by it? And wouldn't that have prompted him to investigate and find out the truth about the curse? But given that I do not know whether a dam would be visible from the height he'd be flying at, I only point it out for dicussion.

Thirdly, there is one issue that I hope that Younger will address in the next part: Eugene's parents were almost certainly non-Christians. Now that Eugene is a Christian, it would be unrealistic for this story to finish without having Eugene deal with the tremendous grief that he will NEVER see his earthly parents again, both in earth and in heaven. I am not taking off points for this in this part, as we only find out what happened to them at the very end of the episode and do not get adequate time for Eugene to really speculate on this.

Fourthly, what is left for Eugene and Katrina to do in Part 3? I honestly do not know where this episode is going to go, aside from the obvious details of showing people that the curse is not real (as well as showing that the bridge is booby-trapped). To have that happen is a tremendous thing, and I have full faith that Marshall Younger will bring a good end to the story.

In conclusion, a worthy addition to AIO continuity as well as to the classic AIO canon. 4 out of 4 stars.
Last edited by Nathan Hoobler on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Hey, Nathan, care to spill any secrets? :D
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

I'm curious why he posted them here. :-k

Are they not being posted at the aiohq.com anymore?

BC
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The reviews are posted at AIOHQ.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The BC wrote:I'm curious why he posted them here. :-k

BC
I'm curious too; I liked his percentages and summaries of the reviews. Also BC, you might find this of interest. Needless to say, I think we won't be seeing them there anymore.

-Jonathan
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Jonathan wrote:

BC
I'm curious too; I liked his percentages and summaries of the reviews. Also BC, you might find this of interest. Needless to say, I think we won't be seeing them there anymore.

-Jonathan
:-k I see.

I must say, I'm very disapointed. Perhaps he was running short on time to be doing it anymore. Perhaps it's too much work and he finds this way. easier. Though, it doesn't seem like it's quite the same.

Not as "official"

BC
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Jonathan wrote:

BC

-Jonathan
what intresting about the link
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

It was showing the new setup for reviews, and that he was right, that they weren't being put up there.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

He might also be running out of webspace. Not likely, but possible.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

I spoke with Nathan briefly and he just doesn't have the time to update the AIOHQ like he used to. It's a lot easier for him to post the reviews here then to format them for the AIOHQ and with writing for AIO and running the official site, I think he just no longer has the time to update it. I know how that is :(.

So, I'm trying to make things a little easier around here for him and others by organizing all the reviews into this sub-board of Whit's End. New show reviews will continue to be posted in this main page, but when the next new show is released, I will move the previous episode to the archives. In the new section, members will still be allowed to post follow up reviews... but the ability to create a new topic has been disabled.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Shadowpaw wrote:I spoke with Nathan briefly and he just doesn't have the time to update the AIOHQ like he used to. It's a lot easier for him to post the reviews here then to format them for the AIOHQ and with writing for AIO and running the official site, I think he just no longer has the time to update it. I know how that is :(.
I figured that was it. That's a disappointment, but I understand.
Shadowpaw wrote:So, I'm trying to make things a little easier around here for him and others by organizing all the reviews into this sub-board of Whit's End. New show reviews will continue to be posted in this main page, but when the next new show is released, I will move the previous episode to the archives. In the new section, members will still be allowed to post follow up reviews... but the ability to create a new topic has been disabled.
Is this so it'll be easier for the people who aren't members but submit reviews at aiohq to find reviews?

-Jonathan
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Jonathan wrote:Is this so it'll be easier for the people who aren't members but submit reviews at aiohq to find reviews?
Yes, that's part of it. But also, for visitors (new and old) finding reviews of shows is no easy task since you have to wade through several pages to find them. This way, all reviews are kept in a nice neat package so that it saves people from doing the leg-work to track down the reviews of "The Power of One" for example.

Since the AIOHQ will no longer be pulling reviews from the web, this will have a similar effect... minus the averages and Nathan's own comments. With the Town Hall down, there's really no other major source for reviews at the present time.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

It's a jolly good idea. Having all the reviews in one place over here will be rather nice.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

tyeah i geuss cant wait :anxious:
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

Me wrote:It's a jolly good idea. Having all the reviews in one place over here will be rather nice.
Yeah! I agree! Thanks, Shadopaw! \:D/
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah thanks
map
Found

Post by map »

Thanks Shadowpaw. AIOHQ had updated the schedule either. Thanks again Shadowpaw for the November schedule. Since Nathan is so busy, can we set up something like the reviews and post the upcoming schedules here now? That would be awesome. It's nice only having to go to one place.
Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

you said it
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

For the most part I liked it, but I'm one of these people that unless we're shown a grave I'm not entierly convinced Eugene's Dad is dead even though we were told he was. I'm thinking we'll find him somewhere and he'll be on the edge of death, but Eugene will still have some time with his dad. That's just my opinion, though

Mr.Whit

Post by Mr.Whit »

yeah i hope he isnt dead