Adulting

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Adulting

Post by Termite »

Oh, most of us are adults... some just prefer acting like belligerent children, apparently. :P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Most of you are adults? So I assume the majority of the users on the board live on their own, pay their own bills, are over the age of 18, and support themselves 100%? If not, I know you wouldn't have made such a bold statement :).

Some... OH you mean me? I just like controversy ;). If anyone is truly irritated by my words, they don't have to say anything in response, y'know.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Hey, thanks for figuring out the merits of an adult!

It amuses me that you return here after years of inactivity, you belittle numerous people you don't even know, you insult us by calling us "sheltered" and "legalistic", you plant 666 into of your posts because "it's so much fun" to irritate people, you intentionally and repeatedly disrespect others' religion, and then you have to audacity to imply that Termite is acting childishly? I honestly have no idea who you are in the real world, Lena, but nothing you have posted this week has been adultlike or mature.

Additionally, this enraged post has nothing to do with the fact that I'm 18-years-old and still living with my parents. :noway:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Actually I was moreso mentioning the responsibilities of an adult and what's typically considered to be an 'adult' by modern-day society ;).

Sheltered is simply a state of being. Legalistic is simply a state of mind. How you take the words is completely up to you. If everyone is happy with their beliefs, then keep living that way! However, don't get upset with me for presenting an alternative lifestyle just because you don't agree with what I say ;). I'm not purposely insulting, just stating my opinion.

When did I ever say Termite was acting childish :anxious:. You, good sir, just put words in my mouth. She said almost everyone here was an adult, and I simply disagreed with her statement. She didn't act childish- just made an inaccurate assumption because I know ages of the majority of the people on the ToO... and no matter how 'mature' you are at the age of 14, there is no way you're an 'adult'.

Though I WILL admit maturity and age are two different things ;).
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Iron and Light wrote:Actually I was moreso mentioning the responsibilities of an adult and what's typically considered to be an 'adult' by modern-day society ;).

I will accept your answer on this matter, but I honestly don't think you meant that originally. Benefit of the doubt. Carry on.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I can't help but laugh hysterically at the recent posts in this thread.

...it prevents me from doing other things. ;)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

AE, you fed the troll man. Never feed the troll.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Oh please- feed the troll :].
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Mature adults also take everything with a grain of salt, and even if they don't like some things they don't belligerently go against authority... such as using binary code in order to mess around with 666. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Refresh my memory on WHY putting numbers in your signature is "belligerently going against authority?" That's fuzzy for me.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Kait wrote:Refresh my memory on WHY putting numbers in your signature is "belligerently going against authority?" That's fuzzy for me.
Because you know that authority removed the previous numbers because they don't like how it looks.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Her previous 666 was removed by an admin? Oh. That's dumb. I was unaware of that.

NOW IT MAKES SENSE. But not, because I'd say the authority is being belligerent for removing something as dumb as three numbers they don't like. :<
Last edited by Kait on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Numbers which have as much negative meaning as any blasphemous or profane word in existence. Stop pretending to be ignorant and show a little respect.

Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

American Eagle wrote:Numbers which have as much negative meaning as any blasphemous or profane word in existence. Stop pretending to be ignorant and show a little respect.
Oh I am far from ignorant. Which is why I don't have any spurious ideas about 666 being some sort of ultimate devil sign. Especially given there is quite a bit of scholarly debate on whether the "number of the beast" is actually 666 or 616, considering the latter number is present in several reliable and critical early manuscripts. Which is to say, even early New Testament writers weren't sure which number was the correct one. I sure as heck am not going to assign deep meaning to something that is debated among the most knowledgable biblical scholars.
Last edited by Kait on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I'm going to get 666 tattooed on the inside of my right wrist =D.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Iron and Light wrote:I'm going to get 666 tattooed on the inside of my right wrist =D.
Then do 616 on your left so you can be sure you get it right either way. \:D/
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Kait wrote:
Iron and Light wrote:I'm going to get 666 tattooed on the inside of my right wrist =D.
Then do 616 on your left so you can be sure you get it right either way. \:D/
THAT. Or.... I could do 666
With the 616 being flipped upside down, so that everyone knows it's 666 and 616, and no one can every mistake it for 999 and 919 \:D/.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I think the point is that most of us on here find the number 666/616 offensive to varying degrees; personally, I don't freak out about it, although I do believe it has serious connotations and choose not to treat it like a toy. Obviously I understand that this number means nothing to you, and I could not care less what you do in the real world. It would just be nice if you would show a little respect for our religion and stop flashing it around here. :p
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Wait, wait, wait. This whole thing started out as a controversy over 666? That's ridiculous. So much fuss over a triangular number.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Adulting: http://adultingblog.com/

Esp. the "greatest hits" from there.