Trends in ToO Moderator Selection

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
No way I broke the window

Trends in ToO Moderator Selection

Post by 31899 »

Over the time I have been upon the ToO I have noticed a few trends in moderator selection.

The first is the selection of the former mayor and chief of police
The King's Daughter
snubs

The Second is selection of opponent
bookworm

Constant reselection due to region
Termite for Gower's
Sherlock for CCDS

Mindlessly followed (my apologies, but it is true)
american eagle
Regis
Jelly

Well known as friends or somehow closely connected to the new admins
Shadowfax
SoccerLOTR
Steve

Valued Member
DanP740
Joanne

Is the ToO moderator system as broken as some would say the Canadian Senate is broken?

P.S. This is not criticism, more so a note to think upon.
Last edited by 31899 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

were do I fall?

But yes I know what you mean. I guess it's bound to happen....
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Bob
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Bob »

The clear solution to this problem is to elect moderators by lot. All active members with more than 100 posts would be on a list, and then the administator would pick the top few chosen by a random list scrambler.

This, of course, leaves us open to the possibility of getting mods that have neither experience nor desire nor competence, but they'll be gone in three months anyway.

Alternatively, we could just make me a global mod and never select new moderators again.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Honestly, being a mod is really not that exciting; the quality of the board is the thought put in by all members. \:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

The admins choose who they think would do a good job, not all their 'best buddies'. Otherwise our mod team would have been different. ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I feel like you are overthinking this. Yes, the first two were former leaders, so I think they deserve an honorary moderatorship. The regional mods (Termite and Sherlock) are constants because frankly, it makes sense. They are active in those forums and have done a good job thus far...and it's only one forum. Some have been chosen to continue because they've done a good job thus far and have continued to be active members and they have valuable experience. And how am I well known to be closely connected to the new admins? And as Joanne said...where does she fall in the mix?

No matter who was chosen, one could probably find some way to "connect" the chosen mods to the administrators. Obviously they won't choose someone completely unknown to them because that person would have no track record to go by. But otherwise, they chose reasonably from the list of responsible, active members...and anyone they didn't choose is probably simply due to the fact that 50 or so mods would be excessive. Sure, the admins may be somewhat biased in that they didn't pick strangers to them, but I don't think they just went out to pick all their best friends as mods.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

If Marv and ric were thinking when they selected mods, they wouldn't have picked me...

This so reminds me of that Novacom episode with Alex, Cal, and Mandy researching buying trends. :lol:
he/him | a little stinker.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Steve wrote:If Marv and ric were thinking when they selected mods, they wouldn't have picked me...

This so reminds me of that Novacom episode with Alex, Cal, and Mandy researching buying trends. :lol:
{gasp} :shock: It's a mind-control scheme! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! We're about to be taken over! {quickly arms self with fire extinguisher and cast iron frying pan} I SHALL NOT GO DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

31899 wrote:Mindlessly followed (my apologies, but it is true)
american eagle
I found great enjoyment in this. ;) 31899, I love your bluntness.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

31899's threads are win. \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

Jelly wrote:31899's threads are win. \:D/
This^

I assume I would fall into the just plain big mistake category. haha Thanks for giving me mercy. ;)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Bob wrote:The clear solution to this problem is to elect moderators by lot. All active members with more than 100 posts would be on a list, and then the administator would pick the top few chosen by a random list scrambler.
WIN! Then maybe I could be a mod sometime. \:D/
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

31899 wrote:The first is the selection of the former mayor and chief of police
The King's Daughter
snubs
I actually never thought about it that way. In fact, when I first picked, they weren't chosen together :-
31899 wrote: The Second is selection of opponent
bookworm
Bookworm asked us the same question, if it was for sympathy/pity, and ric and I said no :- He's an older user who's a great moderator and has valuable ToO history \:D/
31899 wrote: Constant reselection due to region
Termite for Gower's
Sherlock for CCDS
Well, last term, Gabriel was a moderator for GF, and Termite fills one of the best roles an experienced RPer, which is why she was chosen. And as for CCDS, during the last three terms, we've had Ayn, AE, and Elrohir as mods. So, Sherlock was chosen.
31899 wrote: Mindlessly followed (my apologies, but it is true)
american eagle
Regis
Jelly
Exactly what do you mean by mindless followed? :-k
31899 wrote:Well known as friends or somehow closely connected to the new admins
Shadowfax
SoccerLOTR
Steve
Steve and SoccerLOTR were chosen because they had never been moderators, and you always need some newbies to get used to modding, not because they were close friends/connected to us. I suggested Soccer and Steve, and I actually haven't talked much to either of them. Shadowfax is an Anti, so she's clearly not my friend :x
31899 wrote: Valued Member
DanP740
Joanne
Dan was chosen not for being valued...but because he's been around a lot and is still active. Joanne was also picked because she was a user who'd been around for over a year and could stand a chance as moderator.

That said, we still appreciate criticism, and of course, to each his own :-
Bob wrote:The clear solution to this problem is to elect moderators by lot. All active members with more than 100 posts would be on a list, and then the administator would pick the top few chosen by a random list scrambler.

This, of course, leaves us open to the possibility of getting mods that have neither experience nor desire nor competence, but they'll be gone in three months anyway.
Then we'd have 4 months with people who've passed 100 posts in three days of joining modding, and perhaps few oldbies. Whee \:D/
Bob wrote:Alternatively, we could just make me a global mod and never select new moderators again.
WIN.
The Kings Daughter wrote:The admins choose who they think would do a good job, not all their 'best buddies'. Otherwise our mod team would have been different. ;)
Exactly ;) If they were only bestest buddies, I'd have to kick some people off and some more :-
Steve wrote:If Marv and ric were thinking when they selected mods, they wouldn't have picked me...
Yes, what was I thinking? :(

And nobody reveals the world domination plot, okay? :x
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Marv wrote:Shadowfax is an Anti, so she's clearly not my friend :x
Love you too, Marvi. :hug:
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Shadowfax wrote:
Marv wrote:Shadowfax is an Anti, so she's clearly not my friend :x
Love you too, Marvi. :hug:
:x
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This is my observation. I've noticed that the people elected choose the same moderators just about every time. Example: When Regis is Mayor I get chosen as a Moderator and that is the only time I'm ever picked. It seems to me that people who have never been (and that includes newbies) a Mod should have a chance instead of the same people every single time. Anyone who is a member should have a chance. Just my two cents.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Just a note, you've been chosen 3 times - the first two times Sarai/Sonuna and Lizzie G./Taq chose you, Regis was actually the third admin to pick you. :-

I definitely think people should have a chance at being mods if they haven't before (which is why Enliven's team was almost 60% newbies ;)), but there should also be a balance of experience so the newbies can learn alongside those who know all the ins and outs of everything.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Just a note, you've been chosen 3 times - the first two times Sarai/Sonuna and Lizzie G./Taq chose you, Regis was actually the third admin to pick you. :-
I couldn't remember how many times I have been chosen. My other points are still very valid.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Good answers, Marv...however, I resent you calling me a newbie, Mr.-I-Joined-in-November 2009. {glares} ;)
Marv wrote:And nobody reveals the world domination plot, okay? :x
Of course... :-# What world domination plot?

And Laura Ingalls, I agree...there needs to be a balance of new and old because somebody has to answer my questions... :-

Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

What is going on with this thread! \:D/