Doctor Who

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Doctor Who

Post by Angel Bob »

Who else on the ToO enjoys watching this amazing British science fiction series? :D For any fellow Whovians out there who are interested, I was hoping we could start a thread to discuss the upcoming season airing on April 23! The premiere will be an episode set in the United States during the 1960s called "The Impossible Astronaut." Sounds intriguing! \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Ooh! Awesome! Sadly, i probably won't get to see it 'til a while after it airs, due to not having cable though... :(
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I am watching my very first episode of Dr. Who right now and I love it! Can't wait for the new season!
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

Just to get my fellow fans excited for the upcoming season, check out this spiffy new trailer released a few days ago!

SPOILER WARNING: For those who have not seen the previous season, you will definitely want to watch it before tuning in this spring (or buying the DVD set when it comes out)!
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I liked the old Dr. Who's better. This one is just slightly creepy. No offense.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

OMW! We finally get to find out who what's her name is?! :-)
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Did Amy Pond kill the Doctor at the end of that?!?!

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

31899 wrote:Did Amy Pond kill the Doctor at the end of that?!?!

Didn't look like it...

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Question: Does the older Dr. Who series have any language in them? My library has some on DVD, and I didn't know if it was something I would like or not. :-k
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I don't know about the older, but the new ones drop an 'H' or 'D' word here and there... Not too bad, though.

**note- contains spoilers in this post. read at own risk.**

Here are my random thoughts:

AND I LOVE THE WAY THE SILENCE LOOK!!!!

River was in jail for killing 'the best man she ever knew'. She can't kill The Doctor, or his timeline would be all screwed up. BUT we all know that Rory is an amazing character, and Amy's pulling off the dramatic agony-filled "NOOOOOO!" again like she did in "Amy's Choice" and at the end of the one with the Homoreptilia when he got erased from time. Two seasons is enough for a companion, imo, so this would be a new and fresh way for her to go, right? At least in the reboot. =P Just thought of that...

DOCTOR. :inlove:

Two Amy Ponds in episode eight. *groan* In the mirror world. Saw that somewhere... or my sister did. But there's a picture with two of them in it. Two different women from the back, obviously, with the hair slightly different, but still.

DOCTOR. *swoons*

I can't wait to see what The Doctor ended up in 'jail' for. \:D/ But I don't like the beard. :noway: Though it works for the part, I guess.

Some old friend of his is going to be back with a new face... But who? The Master? I hope not; he's been around twice in the reboot already. Jenny? Nope. Georgia Moffet's got a baby in her stomach, or she just had the baby in the past few days... So no. Not unless they film her episode over the summer after she's trimmed down and the baby's a bit older.

DOCTOR. <3

Hmm.... If you have a Facebook, I would sincerely suggest 'Doctor Who and the Tardis by Craig Hurle'. He's amazing with quick updates.

PIRATES! Haha that's going to be funny... and with that girl who looks like she's from the 1800s. The South in the Civil War? Maybe?

I want to know what the weird creature is that keeps popping up behind people. It's different than The Silence ones.

THE OOD ARE COMING BACK! \:D/

Uuuuum.... I can't think of anything else right now. :-k So I'll end this on a good note. \:D/

"I wear a Stetson now... Stetsons are cool."

:inlove:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

From what I've seen, either the whole premise of the show is somewhat flawed or I don't understand it.

Here's my question: Does Doctor Who change the past, or does he fix it? I've only seen the first six episodes though. :-
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

ric wrote:From what I've seen, either the whole premise of the show is somewhat flawed or I don't understand it.

Here's my question: Does Doctor Who change the past, or does he fix it? I've only seen the first six episodes though. :-
I have to admit I don't completely understand it either, as I've only seen the most recent season, part of the season before that, and the same first 6 episodes that you saw. But from what I can figure out...he fixes the past so it runs normally. It SEEMS that things from the future end up sneaking into the past and try to change it, and he has to go into the past (or future) and stop it from changing.

Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

ric wrote:Here's my question: Does Doctor Who change the past, or does he fix it? I've only seen the first six episodes though. :-
First question: Which "first six episodes"? Of the series, back in the black-and-white era? Of the new series, which would have starred a man in a leather jacket? Or of the latest season, starring the fellow in the bow-tie?

Second question: First, the Doctor isn't limited to going back into the past. Many of his adventures go across the universe or into the future, hence that "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space" police-box he goes around in. However, when he does go into the past, he generally "fixes" something in the same way he would fix it anywhere else, though there are limits to this.
Last edited by Caswin on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Caswin wrote:
ric wrote:Here's my question: Does Doctor Who change the past, or does he fix it? I've only seen the first six episodes though. :-
First question: Which "first six episodes"? Of the series, back in the black-and-white era? Of the new series, which would have starred a man in a leather jacket? Or of the latest season, starring the fellow in the bow-tie?

Second question: First, the Doctor isn't limited to going back into the past. Many of his adventures go across the universe or into the future, hence that "Time And Relative Dimensions In Space" police-box he goes around in. However, when he does go into the past, he generally "fixes" something in the same way he would fix it anywhere else, though there are limits to this.
1) The first six episodes of the first series, made in 2005 I believe, not the really old one.

2) Well, ya, my questions was referring more to just changing anything, because that will always effect future events.

So, ya, I'm getting the idea that it's somewhat convoluted, and there isn't really going to be any explanation....Which is fine. \:D/
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

There was some sort of an explanation in "The Waters of Mars". If you watch that one, it should clear up the whole 'changing history' thing. :yes:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

One thing, though: I really wish they hadn't introduced the "Reapers" from "Father's Day" (the batlike creatures that attack when there's a paradox). We haven't seen them since, so it seems to be a mystery why they chose to show up then at all.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Angel Bob wrote:One thing, though: I really wish they hadn't introduced the "Reapers" from "Father's Day" (the batlike creatures that attack when there's a paradox). We haven't seen them since, so it seems to be a mystery why they chose to show up then at all.
Well, he said that when there's a paradox, they come to fix it. Are there any paradoxes later in the show?
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Termite wrote:There was some sort of an explanation in "The Waters of Mars". If you watch that one, it should clear up the whole 'changing history' thing. :yes:
Ahh, I have to warn against jumping in with "The Waters of Mars". It takes place in the middle of a story arc near the end of the Tenth Doctor's career.

I prefer his explanation in "Blink".
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

ric wrote:
Angel Bob wrote:One thing, though: I really wish they hadn't introduced the "Reapers" from "Father's Day" (the batlike creatures that attack when there's a paradox). We haven't seen them since, so it seems to be a mystery why they chose to show up then at all.
Well, he said that when there's a paradox, they come to fix it. Are there any paradoxes later in the show?
Yes and no. \:D/ Just wait and seeeeee. :evillaugh:

TWO WEEKS TOMORROW. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I saw a bumper sticker that said "My boyfriend drives a TARDIS" today. \:D/