Soul Surfer

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Soul Surfer

Post by H Tide »

Is anyone planning on seeing this? It's based on the the story of Bethany Hamilton, a talented surfer who, in 2003, had her arm bitten off by a shark, but eventually returned to surfing. Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, and AnnaSophia Robb star in the movie.

I remember reading about Bethany Hamilton's story several years ago, and I was excited to learn they were making a movie out of it. I'm also excited to see Carrie Underwood in it, who has a small role as Bethany's youth pastor. I was planning on seeing it when it comes out April 8, but just recently won tickets to see an advance screening this Saturday, so I'll be seeing it a week earlier than I expected with my younger brother. :)
Eowyn18
Not as new

Post by Eowyn18 »

I'm thinking about seeing it. Not sure yet. Let us know if it's good!
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Yeah, I'm anticipating this movie. It looks good. Trailer was ruined when they put in the song Firework though.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

My youth group is going to see this, and unless my mind is warped after being out of the house for 10 hours which includes testing, chemistry class, and a soccer game, then I'll be joining them. *shrugs* It'll be interesting, since it's not like a direct documentary or anything. =P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I wanted to see this movie since I saw the trailer when I watched Gnomeo and Juliet. It looks really cool!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I think it looks quite good. I like that they're bringing some of the Christian elements into it, with Carrie Underwood as her youth pastor. ASR is an awesome actress, and she should do a great job. While I'm very squeamish about injuries, especially ones of that size, I think it looks like an incredibly rewarding movie.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Shadowfax wrote:Trailer was ruined when they put in the song Firework though.
I agree. :(

I am definitely planning to see this movie! The story behind it is very inspirational and touching, and Carrie Underwood is going to be in it! :D I am really looking forward to this movie. :yes:
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

I saw some vids on the website and frankly I don't think I'm going to watch it. In one clip with CU she didn't really look like she could act. ;) ASR is excellent, but it looked like a large part of the movie was done in bikinis. I know most will disagree but I don't want where bikinis or want to watch people in them. Frankly I don't think it's modest. I wish I could see it though... it looks interesting.
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Sapphire wrote:
It's not a bad song, in my opinion. I mean, sure, Katy Perry... bleh...but, the song is actually kind of catchy. :-
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

ric wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
It's not a bad song, in my opinion. I mean, sure, Katy Perry... bleh...but, the song is actually kind of catchy. :-
:x...;) It's not that bad of the song...I just don't like the music video or Katy Perry.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Sapphire wrote:
ric wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
:x...;) It's not that bad of the song...I just don't like the music video or Katy Perry.
Well, I haven't seen the music video (probably 'cause intuition tells me it's horrible).
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Sapphire wrote:
ric wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
LOL the music video was quite scarring.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Shadowfax wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
ric wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
LOL the music video was quite scarring.
I just watched the first few minutes.

Intuition was correct. :-

I prefer an ambiguous "Baby you're a firework" to...that.
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

Okay. This is just weird. So when the story of her of what happened came out, I was like "wow! Hey, *cousins name*, this would be a great movie!" And now they made a movie. This is plain creepy!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Sorry to bump, but I just saw this film last night, and I thought it was pretty good. It was probably the best film I've seen in the realm of Christian films. I found it rather enjoyable as it didn't follow the plot format of a standard film, but more so the plot graph of a Shakespearian tragedy. I would definitely recommend this film.

odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

We won't be seeing this, since, I heard that they wear bathing suits, which are very immodest, especially two pieces. I know some would agree with me, like Joann, but don't the rest of you think so too?

-- 09 Apr 2011 07:56 pm --

Cancel my last post. I just read the PluggedIn Review http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheat ... urfer.aspx We will NOT be seeing this. Just the small caption at the top of the review was immodest, and that is just flat out wrong. I was disappointed with how Focus handled the "Sexual Content" You can't go to the beach in a parka?! Well you shouldn't be wearing the standard beach dress! And the waves will be distracting?! I don't think so.

Anyway, I'll get off this now. :D
minichef
Pink forever!
Pink forever!

Post by minichef »

Eeeep! I saw the movie today, and it was sooo good! I love it! And I love the message that it gives. And yes, it does bring a very good Christian message.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

...That was FotF's best review ever, odysseyfan1. Seriously.

No, you can't go to the beach in a parka... and you really can't try to get out of the impact zone in one either. Yes, the waves were distracting. The ocean was BEAUTIFUL.

What would you have them do with it? Make them all wear diving suits and try to reach people with the message? Making it unrealistic would make it a joke. I'm more concerned that people won't be reached by the message of the movie rather than the fact that the actors might be a bit more uncovered then I would like... =P

Off of that, this was seriously one of the best Christian movies. Like To Save a Life, it seemed realistic. The emotion put into it seemed as real as possible. If it could have been longer and if they had more time to really flesh out the characters then it might not have seemed to move so fast, but it still worked. Carrie Underwood's part irritated me a bit, but I could overlook it.

No, I'm not good with movie reviews. =P But I would highly recommend it. The attack wasn't even that bad- more of a shriek and jump, and then it was over. *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

It looks good.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Just saw it, and like the others said, best Christian film. Ever. It was so inspirational, and I couldn't stop crying during the entire movie. Everyone should go see this movie.