The Character's Real Ages

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

The Character's Real Ages

Post by DanP740 »

So I decided to figure out a few of the character's real ages based on what little we know.

So Whit was in WWII, so I guess he was 18 in 1941, which means he was born in 1923, which made him 64 when the show started, and he is now 87, although the Inspiration Station changed him to a younger self, so he's probably 60 now. :P
Connie was 16 when she appeared on the show in 1987, so she was most likely born in 1971, which makes her 39 today. Of course, she's stuck in a time warp which made her age only 2 years in the last 13.
Eugene was my guess 20 in 1987 when he started on the show, which means he was born in 1967, making him 43 now, although he is around 25 now on the show.
Jason's is a little more guessy... Using an average Vietnam date of 1970 and guessing Jason was 10 then, he was born in 1960 and is 50 now.
Eugene's brother Everett... By my figuring, he is about 8 years younger than Eugene, which puts him at 35 now, but they say he's only 10, which makes him 15 years younger than what Eugene's current age seems to be... so, let's just call him 10.

That's all I bothered to figure out...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Wow, cool.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

That's pretty good, Dan!
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Alyssa
Always happy
Always happy

Post by Alyssa »

Wow that took work! That is really cool, dan.
Love You, Lee! :hug:
We'll love you forever, SnC. Thanks for showing us how to be so Strong in Christ. :hug:
I love you... Anne, Sapphire, IDANCE, Joanne, Mimi, Laura, and especially dear Lee. :hug:
And, my wonderful guy friends are: AE, Regis, ric, Marvin, Whitty Whit, and thegreenringc!

"I May do silly things, but I do them with enthusiasm!"
"A Day without Laughter is a day wasted."
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." -Abe Lincoln

Check out the free, fun, and fantastic shop: Express Yourself By Alyssa!

You know me..always ready for a chat! ;) Send me a PM soon, whether I just met you, know you well, haven't talked to you in a while, or haven't met you at all!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I've thought about Whit's age lots of times. Thanks for that info, KBT!
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

American Eagle wrote:I've thought about Whit's age lots of times. Thanks for that info, KBT!
Haha, thank you! :wink:

Very cool, Dan. I've given up on trying to figure out characters' ages. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter and if you really look into it, it just doesn't work at all. But, nice observations. :)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Haha, yeah, in the long run obviously this is meaningless, but it IS interesting.

Wasn't Connie briefly 15? Maybe not.
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Very impressive Dan.
The Top Crusader wrote:Wasn't Connie briefly 15? Maybe not.
Yeah, I seem to recall her saying in her first episode that she was 15, but its been ages since I heard that one, so I could be wrong.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Sweet! hey arn't you the guy who was annoyed by me?
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Connie said she was 15 in "Connie, Part 1".
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

She was mainly 16, then 18. She may have been 15 when she was introduced, but she wasn't for long.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

For the most part, I see Odyssey as following "real time" until the first hiatus. Episodes aired all throughout the year, Christmas episodes aired at Christmas, summer episodes aired during the summer, and characters generally refer to the timing of past events as when those episodes first aired (example: It was mentioned in "The Homecoming" that the Blackgaard-related events of album 5 had taken place two years ago; that was when those episodes aired) -- when, of course, timing is mentioned at all. There definitely are some major (Connie) and minor exceptions, but I think of (most of) the characters aging normally (or close to it) until 1996. Then the seasons started and timing became more muddled, and while it's pretty clear that 20 years haven't passed in Odyssey time, I've given up trying to lay out a theory that makes sense of timing and ages as they are now.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

Nice job Dan! :D Though time never runs right. :(
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows

In Odyssey? Odyssey is one of the best examples of comic book time.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

One character that we can be pretty sure of his age is Eugene. If we look at the timeline in the official guide and listen to the episodes, we can figure out that he's at least 27. He was seven when his parents disappeared to Africa. Then I think Eugene says a couple of times that it has been twenty years since his dad disappeared, and the Ashantis say it was twenty years ago that Morati lived with them.

But, then again, according to the time-line in the guide, the episode where Eugene finds out that his Grandfather has recently passed away is supposedly before Everett is even born. Eugene would have had to be at least twenty when he found out about his Grandfather. Since Everett is ten, that means that at least ten years have passed in Odyssey since Album 11, when Eugene learns about his Grandfather. So Eugene must be at least 30? And Connie would be at least 26? Well, I really don't think either of them are quite that old, so yeah, I guess it really just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
TigerintheShadows

This is one of the many examples of SORAS, which KODY 105, being awesome, explained to me when we were discussing the AIO kid characters many, many threads ago. I think it stands for "soap opera rapid aging syndrome" (still unsure of what the R is, random or rapid) and Odyssey time goes with it. Connie and Rodney haven't really aged all that much (Rodney's been a teenage bully for the past, what, fifteen years?) and I think Whit's no older than about sixty-something, given his portrayal (how many 80-year-olds do you know who still go on archeological digs and sneak into hotels to catch international criminals?). Consider too that apparently Jared's pretty much in/out of college, since he's working for the CIA and only a few seasons ago, he was no more than two years older than his younger brother, who was aged rapidly from about two to twelve/thirteen (don't know where some people got the idea that he was ten when he first appeared) and is either eighth or ninth grade at this point. Then there's Mandy, who went from five to ten in a few episodes flat. I personally don't think there's any point trying to find out ages in Odyssey, though we can probably approximate. It'll only confuse us all.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Nice work, Dan! :D
The Top Crusader wrote:Haha, yeah, in the long run obviously this is meaningless, but it IS interesting.

Wasn't Connie briefly 15? Maybe not.
Yes, she was briefly fifteen. :)
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

TigerintheShadows wrote:(how many 80-year-olds do you know who still go on archeological digs and sneak into hotels to catch international criminals?).
TigerintheShadows

Yes, Top. I'm sure you can go every day to your local nursing home and find those fifty-seven eighty year-olds who remind you of Whit to a T.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Yes, Top. I'm sure you can go every day to your local nursing home and find those fifty-seven eighty year-olds who remind you of Whit to a T.
Yes Top, I'm sure you do. Say hi to them for me.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer