Does Whit overstep boundaries?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Does Whit overstep boundaries?

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I just re-listened to the Novacom saga, and I noticed that Whit makes a lot of assumptions about his right to know things or his importance. For example, the FBI tells him that there is certain information they can't reveal, but Whit is apparently important enough that he pressures an FBI agent to share with him top secret information? Or in Chains, he's pretty gutsy in the way he talks to those gang members. Doesn't it occur to him that at least one of those kids is probably packing heat? (and side note, I'm pretty sure an actual gang member would have harsher words for him then "Hey! Stop, old man!" :)

I'm not trying to criticize; just curious if you guys think Whit sometimes oversteps his boundaries?
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Do you mean Whit as a character in the show, or as a citizen who has the intention of living for beyond the next three minutes? I always did wonder about that gang member. If he wasn't packing heat, he would have something dangerous (a knife, bat, brass knuckles, etc.) he would have brandished. Maybe they weren't a real gang.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

you know, Kody, when I first read 'bat' as a list of possible weapons the gang member could've had, I immediately thought of the flying kind of bat! :hilarious: I'm laughing so hard right now! just picture it!!!!!!!!!

Till the end of the line.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

"Hey, stop, old man! I've got a pet bat! Kids, if you ever see a bat, don't touch it, because it might have rabies."
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

again :hilarious: :lol:

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

As a former NSA agent, Whit probably knew what information he could get out of the FBI agent.

And gang members? Pfh. They don't really compare to the Japanese soldiers he encountered during his time as a member of the U.S. Navy.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Overstepping boundaries is kind of like Whit's speciality. It's part of what makes the show go on and be interesting. Just imagine how boring it would be if no one ever thought outside the bounds.
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

But when Whit was facing Japanese soldiers, he was under 25 years old and much more nimble and agile than when he was 70+ talking to a gang member.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I've seen gang members before, and yes they do say way harsher things than "Hey! Stop, old man!", but consider the fact that we're hearing this on a kids' show. While it does take away some of the realistic aspects of the story, it is more safe for a family with children to hear.

As far as Whit going outside the boundaries, I do agree with Josef, that it makes the show more interesting. Plus, Whit needs to be a character that can protect others and lead the kids, so if he's not willing to stand up against people, what kind of a hero would he look like?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Angel wrote:Plus, Whit needs to be a character that can protect others and lead the kids, so if he's not willing to stand up against people, what kind of a hero would he look like?
Precisely. Whit cares more about the interests of others than his own. A prime example is in The Top Floor, when Whit goes to Dalton's apartment instead of Leonard. Whit explains to Eugene, "If something were to happen to me, I know where I'm going. Now the same isn't the true for your father."
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I don't think Whit oversteps his boundaries at all. By trying to get information out of Agent Bourland, his motivation was protection of the people of Odyssey. You might think that what the FBI was doing to stop Novacom wasn't Whit's business, but considering that both himself and his shop were being used by Novacom for their schemes--and he was well aware of it--one could argue that what the FBI was doing to stop them was his business.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Aw, Whit can defend himself. He karate-chopped some demons in "Here Am I".lol
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

haha EXACTLY! =D> :lol: 8-)

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I think the show's made it pretty clear that Whit has some status in government intelligence circles. I don't think various agencies normally cooperate that closely, i.e., being CIA doesn't immediately make you privy to FBI information, but I don't really know much about NSA or how realistic AIO is being. ;)
As far as gangs go, what Whit did wasn't the safest thing to do but gangs don't always beat up or kill old men looking to help out one of their members. :P
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

true. And they (the gang members) seemed more suspicious than particularly murderous; remember, they were just protecting Tony and Brianna (and their territory too I guess.) And I think it was fine for Whit to needle information from the FBI and make them tell him what was going on because, for one thing, the audience needed to know, and who better to find out for them. Plus, the story needed someone to make the authorities tell it to them straight and not pussyfoot around anymore.

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I miss the days when Whit just walked around his neighborhood talking to himself like he was hosting a radio show and then running into random people and striking up conversations. :(

Obviously 80+ (closer to 90...) Whit it seems dumb for him to do... a lot of stuff that he does. ;) And Paul Herlinger really sounded the age that Whit technically should be. I am kind of hoping that with a younger actor they will sort of magically have Whit lose 20 or 30 years of age... ;) Obviously it ignores his WW2 service but you can realistically see a fit 60 year old doing things that a 90 year old wouldn't be doing. ;)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Even an unfit 60-year-old. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Indeed. \:D/

But for a long running radio series like this (especially if they are going to replace actors and not kill off characters \:D/), you kind of have to take the comic book approach and just sort of ignore the fact that people should have aged a ton. For instance, technically every Marvel comic about Spider-man is supposed to have happened to the character, but obvious events of the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90's have transpired and he has only aged like 5 years. ;) And Nick Fury was created in the 1960's as a WW2 vet... now he basically is the same age as he was then and they just don't mention his WW2 service as often as they used to. ;) BUT THEY SHOULD! :x
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

As for the gang, after his experience in WW2, I think we all know that deep down inside, Whit has training as a ninja assassin, and he could've taken them out if he really wanted to. He could've also used his Jedi mind tricks on Bourland. And of course, on the subject of aging, Connie has a 6:1 aging ratio as opposed to the rest of Odyssey. Eugene has said enough about college and his age that we can calculate he was about 14 when he came onto the show; that's 3 years younger than Connie, who had arrived one year before at 16. I don't think that Eugene is that much younger than Connie anymore, otherwise Connie really does need to get a life, or at least go to Cambell College.
Last edited by Leonard Meltsner on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

"This is not the Whit's End you're looking for." lol
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother