How many of us are PC users?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
David O
I'm memorable

How many of us are PC users?

Post by David O »

Post here if you're a PC user! (Then we can gang up and... say nice edifying things to each other and the mac users too (because PC users aren't violent, like those mac users...))

/parody

So seriously, if you've had a good/interesting/entertaining experience on your PC, feel free to share it here.

I'll go first. I've been a PC user since I was 5 years old and first started playing Reader Rabbit and gizmos and gadgets on my dad's old 486. I've owned and modified my own computers since I was 8 or 9; built my first computer when I was 14; and currently have 3 computers which me and my wife share (4 if you count my hacked Wii which currently serves as the main media player in my apartment.)

One of my favorite computers is the once I'm currently using - an eee 900ha. It weighs 2 and a half pounds, and has a 9 inch screen, making it the perfect ultraportable netbook for taking notes in class and hopping online anywhere I please. That doesn't mean that I'm held back though. With a built in 160gb hard drive, 2 gigs of ram, and an Intel Atom processor, I have the space to store all my music, movies, and games on my computer, and the power to play them. Plus with standard on-the-fly over/underclocking, I can automatically turn down my processor when I'm on battery power to make sure I squeeze all of the glorious 5 hours of life I expect out of my netbook.

Can you tell I'm satisfied with my PC? :)
How about you? What's been your experience?

P.S. I forgot to mention, my netbook cost under $300, so I could have gotten 3 of them for less than the cost of the cheapest mac.
Not dead yet.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

David O wrote: built my first computer when I was 14
Hooray, I was 12 \:D/
Dr Ninja
I should know what a double post is now
I should know what a double post is now

Post by Dr Ninja »

Irwin Springer wrote:
Our family didn't get our first computer till I was 14...we were poorish LOL. I did t build my first computer till I was 18 P4 1.8ghz overclocked to 2.2witj 512MB ddr 333 40GB HD
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

derekschroer wrote:
Irwin Springer wrote:
Our family didn't get our first computer till I was 14...we were poorish LOL. I did t build my first computer till I was 18 P4 1.8ghz overclocked to 2.2witj 512MB ddr 333 40GB HD
I always thought it would be fun to overclock, but isn't it illegal :anxious:
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

Irwin Springer wrote:
derekschroer wrote:
Irwin Springer wrote:
I always thought it would be fun to overclock, but isn't it illegal :anxious:
Not illegal - it just (usually) breaks your warranty. There's a big difference between those two things. In my eee pc's case, that doesn't even happen, as the overclocking feature came pre-installed from the manufacturer.

(BTW, I wanted to build my own computer before I was 14 - I just didn't have the money until then. :P )
Not dead yet.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I was a happy PC user for the majority of my life. ;)

My earlier memories using a PC include the classics such as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Kids, Reader Rabbit, and Gizmos and Gadgets. Good times! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

PC + MSDOS 5.0+ (specifically 6.22) = Happiness!
I remember the days of Win 3.1, Win 95, 98SE, ME (*rofl*), and 2K!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I remember having a blast playing old school games in elementary school on an Apple II....wait....nevermind. :anxious: *leaves thread*

Also, does anyone remember those PC learning games where you were the guy in a blue jacket and you had to answer questions to get parts to build stuff like a blimp and such? And there was another one where you had to take pictures of the evil robots or something.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

*raises hand* I've used one for 11 years, starting with an old windows 95 computer back in 1998..
...I hate marquees.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Tyler wrote:Also, does anyone remember those PC learning games where you were the guy in a blue jacket and you had to answer questions to get parts to build stuff like a blimp and such? And there was another one where you had to take pictures of the evil robots or something.
The Learning Company's "Gizmos and Gadgets." The pictures of evil robots were in "Midnight Rescue" I think.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I was a happy PC user for the majority of my life. ;)

My earlier memories using a PC include the classics such as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Kids, Reader Rabbit, and Gizmos and Gadgets. Good times! \:D/
Definitely pulling for Gizmos and Gadgets here. G&G was fun and it made you smart, so that physics in high school was that much easier. Together with Super Mario Bros., those two games were the main early forces that got me into gaming
Tyler wrote:Also, does anyone remember those PC learning games where you were the guy in a blue jacket and you had to answer questions to get parts to build stuff like a blimp and such?
As was already mentioned, the game you're thinking of was Gizmos and Gadgets and you got to build a blimp and a drag racer, and an airplane, I think. :-k (Checked it on wikipedia, and apparently the races fell into three categories: "automotive, alternative energy, and aircraft".)

I think that when I have kids, Gizmos and Gadgets is going to be the first game I let them play, and I won't let them know that there are other, far more advanced, games out there until they beat G&G first. \:D/
Not dead yet.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I played all the reader rabbit games, and then I played the 3rd grade adventure game and before those two I played Crayola Art on our family's PC.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Anna><> wrote:I played all the reader rabbit games, and then I played the 3rd grade adventure game and before those two I played Crayola Art on our family's PC.
:shock: I remember those!!
Those were the best games ever. :hug:
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Shadowfax wrote:
Anna><> wrote:I played all the reader rabbit games, and then I played the 3rd grade adventure game and before those two I played Crayola Art on our family's PC.
Crayola art was back in the day when you used FLOPPY DISCS... I'm like the only one of my friends who knew what those were, all because of Crayola art!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Anna><> wrote:
Shadowfax wrote:
Crayola art was back in the day when you used FLOPPY DISCS... I'm like the only one of my friends who knew what those were, all because of Crayola art!
Haha, I remember Crayola Art! \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Do you want to discuss floppy disks? I recall "Marvin the Moose" on 3.5- and 5.25-inch disks!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

What's there really to say about floppy discs? They're boring old things of the past.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I'm a PC user! There is an old PC around here that I've made use of whenever I want to play Age of Empires or games like Sherlock Holmes or Nancy Drew... but now I just play them on a Mac. :P
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I'm a happy PC user. :)

I remember being so excited when our family got our first PC when I was in the 6th grade. Earliest memories include using Paint, playing solitaire, getting my first email address.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

David O wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:My earlier memories using a PC include the classics such as Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing for Kids, Reader Rabbit, and Gizmos and Gadgets. Good times! \:D/
Definitely pulling for Gizmos and Gadgets here. G&G was fun and it made you smart, so that physics in high school was that much easier. Together with Super Mario Bros., those two games were the main early forces that got me into gaming
Gizmos and Gadgets was one of those educational games packaged in a wildly entertaining (not to mention addicting) format. That and Treasure Mountain were mostly to blame for getting me hooked onto computer gaming. Operation Neptune was pretty good, too, although I don't think I ever beat it. :(
Chandler wrote:I'm a PC user! There is an old PC around here that I've made use of whenever I want to play Age of Empires or games like Sherlock Holmes or Nancy Drew... but now I just play them on a Mac. :P
Age of Empires II and its expansion were awesome, but they really botched it when they created the third edition. :noway:
Taq wrote:I remember being so excited when our family got our first PC when I was in the 6th grade. Earliest memories include using Paint, playing solitaire, getting my first email address.
Ah, the good ol' days when one could spend hours on Paint! \:D/ I remember discovering video conferencing and instant messaging for the very first time. Windows Netmeeting or Windows Messenger, anyone? ;)