Clear Play

Does anyone own...

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Ryder
Catspaw Rocks!

Clear Play

Post by Ryder »

Does anyone here own Clear Play?
Many thanks to her awesome Snubness for the super cool sig and avatar \:D/!
HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Our sixth football pool is now underway!!! Play it! PLAY IT NOW!!
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Moved to Harlequin since it is media-related.

I've heard of it. Is it like an actual DVD player or something that plugs into a DVD player?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I've heard of it, but I don't know what it is. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I've heard that it is a system to filter out the inappropriate content of a really great movie that is highly-rated?

It sounds great! How much do these things normally cost? :-k
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I have friends who have Clear Play or something similar, if I understand correctly. I just find it annoying. ;) They have had it for forever, maybe there is a newer version that does a better job or something. The way their's blocks swearing is to silence the audio the entire time any word it doesn't like (and not all swear words) is showing up in the Closed Captioning, so you can't really tell what's going on sometimes. :(
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

The Top Crusader wrote:I have friends who have Clear Play or something similar, if I understand correctly. I just find it annoying. ;) They have had it for forever, maybe there is a newer version that does a better job or something. The way their's blocks swearing is to silence the audio the entire time any word it doesn't like (and not all swear words) is showing up in the Closed Captioning, so you can't really tell what's going on sometimes. :(
No, that was a TVG. Clearplay is different, and is far more lenient as far as language goes- it only silences real language, not 'heck' and 'poop' ;), and only silences the word, not the whole sentence. Also, you can change filter settings, and turn whole sections off. They have sections for 'language,' 'vulgarity,' 'violence,' 'nudity,' etc...; violence, for instance, is almost always off or on least with us. Oh, and it doesn't go off of closed captioning like TVG did, either.

The ClearPlay is a dvd player in and of itself. It goes for $80.00. You then buy a subscription to their 'filters'. In order to watch a movie, you have to download the filter for it into a zip drive and plug it into your ClearPlay. They have a filter for just about every movie, and come out with new filters for new releases as soon as they come out :).

Also. ClearPlay \:D/.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Can you imagine turning off the violence in Lord of the Rings? :shock:
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Shadowfax wrote:Can you imagine turning off the violence in Lord of the Rings? :shock:
Actually, when certain movies are that violent, they don't have the filter capability to filter violence out to begin with. Such is the case with Lord of the Rings.
Dr Ninja
I should know what a double post is now

Post by Dr Ninja »

So it's basically like watching a TV edited movie without the commercials right?

D
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

derekschroer wrote:So it's basically like watching a TV edited movie without the commercials right?

D
More like watching a movie previously riddled with garbage, and having all of the the sex, nudity, and perverse language removed \:D/.

Actually, it's pretty awesome, and we haven't had it mess up a story-line even once. The only way you can even tell something was taken out is because it skips, slightly, to a different scene.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Iron and Light wrote:
derekschroer wrote:So it's basically like watching a TV edited movie without the commercials right?

D
More like watching a movie previously riddled with garbage, and having all of the the sex, nudity, and perverse language removed \:D/.

Actually, it's pretty awesome, and we haven't had it mess up a story-line even once. The only way you can even tell something was taken out is because it skips, slightly, to a different scene.
so sometimes you go out a get a DVD and you see the opening credits and then the closeing credits :D
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Iron and Light wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:I have friends who have Clear Play or something similar, if I understand correctly. I just find it annoying. ;) They have had it for forever, maybe there is a newer version that does a better job or something. The way their's blocks swearing is to silence the audio the entire time any word it doesn't like (and not all swear words) is showing up in the Closed Captioning, so you can't really tell what's going on sometimes. :(
No, that was a TVG. Clearplay is different, and is far more lenient as far as language goes- it only silences real language, not 'heck' and 'poop' ;), and only silences the word, not the whole sentence. Also, you can change filter settings, and turn whole sections off. They have sections for 'language,' 'vulgarity,' 'violence,' 'nudity,' etc...; violence, for instance, is almost always off or on least with us. Oh, and it doesn't go off of closed captioning like TVG did, either.

The ClearPlay is a dvd player in and of itself. It goes for $80.00. You then buy a subscription to their 'filters'. In order to watch a movie, you have to download the filter for it into a zip drive and plug it into your ClearPlay. They have a filter for just about every movie, and come out with new filters for new releases as soon as they come out :).

Also. ClearPlay \:D/.
That actually doesn't sound horribly annoying like TVG! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

... A zip drive? People still use those?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

KODY 105 wrote:... A zip drive? People still use those?
Pardon me :p. A flash drive.
Dr Ninja

Post by Dr Ninja »

It doesn't use a Zip drive It' uses a USB Thumb Drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clearplay#How_it_works

D
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

derekschroer wrote:

D
LOL. Filterstick? Seriously?
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Tyler wrote:
derekschroer wrote:

D
LOL. Filterstick? Seriously?
Indeed, and it works like a charm \:D/.

They send you a thumb drive with the player, but any flash drive will work. The filters are so small, though, that they all fit on the same drive (and there are hundreds of them).
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

If there's evil content in your movies why are you watching such evil movies in the first place!? :x
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Tyler wrote:If there's evil content in your movies why are you watching such evil movies in the first place!? :x
Exactly what I've been thinking.

"Hey, now that I have Clear Play, I'm going to go and rent lots of movies with sex, nudity, and perverse language!" \:D/
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Jellyfish11 wrote:
Tyler wrote:If there's evil content in your movies why are you watching such evil movies in the first place!? :x
Exactly what I've been thinking.

"Hey, now that I have Clear Play, I'm going to go and rent lots of movies with sex, nudity, and perverse language!" \:D/
But Clear Play gets rid of that stuff. :-