Microsoft Office 2007

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Microsoft Office 2007

Post by KODY 105 »

Who here likes Microsoft Office 2007? How does it compare to Office 2003?

I have used '07 at school. I have '03 at home, though, so when the test rolled around, I spent a quarter of the test time trying to figure out a (hopefully generally) simplistic graph feature in Excel '07. Making the graph in '03 is easy for me because I use Excel '03 all the time, but the '07 ribbon and complete redesign made it tough.

What do you think about the new task-oriented "ribbon" toolbar?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think if someone had never used Microsoft Office before and learned on 2007, they would think it was all awesome and cool and all.

However, for people like me who learned on... Office 2000 or earlier... well, lets just say I vastly prefer 2003 to 2007. ;) I'm just used to that setup and can do things quickly. 2007 may be more efficient once one gets to know it... but I haven't done so yet. :(
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Personally I prefer the 2003 version. I probably am just more used to it than 2007. On my laptop I only have 2003, and my school finally this year just upgraded to 2003, so it's the only thing I use. When my computer isn't working though I use our family computer which has 2007. It's a lot different, and the first time I used it I was completely lost, but each time I use it, it's less difficult, and more understandable.
I really like the Power Point program on 2007 though. It's so much simpler than 2003, and it's way faster.
If I had the chance to download 2007 I probably would, but it would take some time before I got used to it.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Since the only version I have ever used is the 2007, I have to say I like that one the best. :p
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I use Open Office. :noway:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Arwen, which program do you like better (if you have used Microsoft Office)? My Microsoft Office is only a trial version. When the trial is up, I'm going to have to revert back to Open Office (which I already have installed onto my computer).
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

...I have 08' Mac Home/Student edition...and I don't see much difference in function...office is always the same.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I used Micro office 97 for most of my life, and last year up-graded to '07 and I LOVE it! And believe me, I use it a lot!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Microsoft Office 2007 really isn't too bad once you get used to it...I believe I actually prefer it to 2003 now. I remember when I first started using 2007, I hated it though. They reorganized everything to the point where it was hard to find even some of the simplest functions. (For example, it took me forever to figure out how to save or print.)
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

The one annoying part about Office 2007 is that the files save as docx instead of doc like in the previous versions. I use Microsoft Office 2003 and had to download some addition in order to open the 2007 files that classmates send me.
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Aeva wrote:Arwen, which program do you like better (if you have used Microsoft Office)? My Microsoft Office is only a trial version. When the trial is up, I'm going to have to revert back to Open Office (which I already have installed onto my computer).
I'm not sure what version of MOffice I've used...I haven't used Word for a while because my dad recommended Open Office when I "reset" my laptop several months ago. I like Open Office because it's easy to use, and it's compatible with a lot more (it seems). I haven't used much beside the Writer, though. But Word and Excel are mostly what I used in MOffice. So I'm not sure I'm qualified to decide...I have MOffice 07 on my computer right now, and I plan to keep that along with OOffice. I like to have options. :)

To answer your question the short way: I like and prefer Open Office. :D
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Taq wrote:The one annoying part about Office 2007 is that the files save as docx instead of doc like in the previous versions. I use Microsoft Office 2003 and had to download some addition in order to open the 2007 files that classmates send me.
I remember having to deal with that. It took me forever to figure out how to make it work. When I did have to work in Office '07 at school, I would always be sure to save my work in '03 format for home!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I had to figure it out last year, and it wasn't fun, but now I really like it. When I'm doing big papers, it's much easier to insert headers and things like that. And I figured out how to convert documents from .docx to .doc, so that didn't really create a problem for me. Although, when I get a MacBook I'll have to go back to the old version, apparently. But that's okay with me.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Taq wrote:The one annoying part about Office 2007 is that the files save as docx instead of doc like in the previous versions. I use Microsoft Office 2003 and had to download some addition in order to open the 2007 files that classmates send me.
That's true. :-k But you can just save it as a 1997-2003 PP doc if you like. (Except some things like some of the fonts don't carry over)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Yeah, when I save stuff when I use Office 2007, I have to make sure to save it in the 2003 format. My friend she once didn't know about that, and she actually had to bring her laptop to school to show her presentation, when she could have just saved it differently. When my school changes to 2007 I'll change to 2007.
Homeward bound wrote:Microsoft Office 2007 really isn't too bad once you get used to it...I believe I actually prefer it to 2003 now. I remember when I first started using 2007, I hated it though. They reorganized everything to the point where it was hard to find even some of the simplest functions. (For example, it took me forever to figure out how to save or print.)
It didn't take me that long to find out save and print, but some other functions took forever for me to find. It's not too bad really, I only used it a couple times though. My brother loves it.
violet flower
Peace and love to youse all!
Peace and love to youse all!

Post by violet flower »

I think my mom has it. Its really weird to me. And I can't find out how you use it I like the old ones.
Homeward bound
Lucid and deductive
Location: Can't say where I am, but my head is in the clouds...

Post by Homeward bound »

Anna><> wrote:
Homeward bound wrote:Microsoft Office 2007 really isn't too bad once you get used to it...I believe I actually prefer it to 2003 now. I remember when I first started using 2007, I hated it though. They reorganized everything to the point where it was hard to find even some of the simplest functions. (For example, it took me forever to figure out how to save or print.)
It didn't take me that long to find out save and print, but some other functions took forever for me to find. It's not too bad really, I only used it a couple times though. My brother loves it.
Heh...well I didn't realize that circle with the windows symbol actually had functions in it until someone told me. :anxious:
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Wow. This discussion peaked my interest, and since my "new" computer has Office '07 on it, I decided to open Word for the first time. Yeah, that is way different, and I haven't used it before. I'm guessing I could probably figure it out in not too long, though, and like it better than the old stuff when it's all said and done.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I have only ever had bad experiences with Word '07. When I opened a second document, the first document would lock up! I couldn't figure it out. I think when Microsoft drops Office '03 support, I will migrate to Open Office (or some webapp!).
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

I had to use the old version yesterday, because my brother was using the 2007 one. All I can say is that, after having used 2007 for a year and a half, the old one looks really ugly. Think Microsoft was trying to copy the colorful streamlined appearance of Mac software? One step behind, as usual.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!