Apple Releases New Notebooks

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Apple Releases New Notebooks

Post by EK »

.....and I want one. :P

http://www.apple.com/macbook/

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Great new design, go apple! \:D/
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

It seems as if Apple is always coming out with another, usually smaller, gadget that costs way too much. \:D/

[size=0]And since I know I'm going to be bashed for this, what I meant is that it costs way too much for *me*. *grins angelically* [/size]
don't forget the rain.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

I love when Apple makes a new gadget, we all ditch our old laptops, and go eyeball the new version. xD
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Also, it seems the better the mac becomes the more mac haters there are.

Random Guy:"Dude you have a macbook...ew I heard they don't even come with vista, I wouldn't get one of those."

Me:"...."
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I've been waiting for this announcement since this past spring... and I must say they look rather spiffy!

However, it wasn't too smart of Apple to raise the prices of their notebooks by $200, especially with the recent downturn of the economy. Yes, I know they were completely redesigned, but typically price points remain around the same whenever they've updated their products. I've seen a lot of complaints from existing Mac owners who will likely be waiting for the price to drop... I was tempted to order one today or tomorrow, but I think I'm going to wait for at least another couple months. At least until the economy stabilizes.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

:inlove:

That's all I gotta say about that.
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

ek wrote:Also, it seems the better the mac becomes the more mac haters there are.

Random Guy:"Dude you have a macbook...ew I heard they don't even come with vista, I wouldn't get one of those."

LOL.

As much as I dislike Apple, that made me laugh. :lol:
...I hate marquees.
hubcap
new and improved danny
new and improved danny

Post by hubcap »

J-man wrote:
ek wrote:Also, it seems the better the mac becomes the more mac haters there are.

LOL.

As much as I dislike Apple, that made me laugh. :lol:
"SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER!" ;)

I agree with Kait. :inlove:
Do you believe in the couch?
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I'm glad I sold my old MacBook. Now they'll be impossible to sell. :-
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Danadelfos wrote:I'm glad I sold my old MacBook. Now they'll be impossible to sell. :-
Actually, they are incredibly easy to sell the old models on eBay and such. You can usually get a really great price for them, too.

I plan on selling my 4 year old PowerBook G4 on eBay, and will probably get around $200-$400 for it \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

After much contemplation, I think I'm going to end up going with this model. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

Ever since I started college I have been extremely disappointed with my PC so one can guarantee that my next computer will be a mac. I have had fewer issues with macs. Even with my Dad's brand new PC I have tons of issues that I'm looking forward to ditching once I get a mac. I don't exactly have any money to buy a mac right now but mark my words my next computer will be a mac.

I think that the thing that made me nervous about the movie I saw was how much stuff was made out of glass. Now I'm not a 5-year-old-drop-everything kind of person but working with glass would make me a little nervous. I remember when the macbook air first came out that I was dasappointed about it not having a CD drive in it. I'm glad that they came out with this newer one because (unless they come out with something better) I will probably buy a macbook when I get the money.

On the note of Macs: have any of you seen those new commercials that the PC world is making about how being a PC isn't a bad thing? I am getting so sick of those commercials! It just makes me want to write to Bill Gates and tell him in big bold letters

HELLO I'M A MAC!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The macbook air still doesn't have a CD drive in it because frankly, who uses CD's anymore? Everything's turning to digital media.

Now the macbook line has always had a CD drive.

Also, microsoft has always had a bad ad campaign, but i'm also somewhat getting tired of the i'm a mac i'm a pc ads... :P

(I Actually liked the seinfeld/gates story though)
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Kait wrote:
Danadelfos wrote:I'm glad I sold my old MacBook. Now they'll be impossible to sell. :-
Actually, they are incredibly easy to sell the old models on eBay and such. You can usually get a really great price for them, too.

I plan on selling my 4 year old PowerBook G4 on eBay, and will probably get around $200-$400 for it \:D/
I'll buy it from you. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Stubborn wrote:
Kait wrote:

ooh! that would be awesome \:D/

You could be all "yeah, this used to be KAITLING'S computer!! She infected it full of viruses just for me! Isn't she sweet?"
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Kait wrote:
Stubborn wrote:
Kait wrote:

ooh! that would be awesome \:D/

You could be all "yeah, this used to be KAITLING'S computer!! She infected it full of viruses just for me! Isn't she sweet?"
Just so you leave all your files on it. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

ek wrote:The macbook air still doesn't have a CD drive in it because frankly, who uses CD's anymore?
luls, everyone.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Stubborn wrote:
Kait wrote:

I would take it too. I <3 my PowerBook G4 and then Dave wouldn't be mad that I took over his computer. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I think I'll be sticking with my current laptop. While the new Macs look nice, they don't offer much in improved features and I'm not sure the new glassy trackpad/screen is worth the extra $200. Perhaps the next generation will offer something more innovative - I'm hoping for something using the motion-sensing technology - perhaps an Apple take on the tablet PC.

As for the Macbook Air not having a disk drive, how about DVDs? A bit inconvenient if you're not one to purchase movies online.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I don't think it's the trackpad/screen that's caused the increase in price as much as the NVIDIA graphics processors. They're supposedly a vast improvement over the previous graphics processors. I'm still waiting for more reviews before I make a final decision. Those new Macbook Pros look rather temping, though.