Prince Caspian *Spoilers*

Post your thoughts on the movie here.

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Rate the movie

29%
24%
20%
7%
5%
2%
2%
5%
5%

Total votes: 41

Elrohir
I'm memorable

Prince Caspian *Spoilers*

Post by Elrohir »

For those who've seen it, let us know what you thought (since the other thread seems like it should be more non-spoilerish). I'll post my review later.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I was quite dissapointed that it didn't follow the book at some points, but that was to be expected.

The romance at the end was somewhat out of the circle of the "Narnia" feel. I didn't like it, but it wasn't really bad.

I thought the beginning went by really quickly, I thought they were going to spend more time on it, but oh well.

All in all, it was a really good movie, and very clever ideas were presented in it.

I'll probably post more opinions later after seeing others'.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'll probably post a further in-depth review later... but for now, I'll simply say that the film was simply incredible. If you were to rate the movie based on its faithfulness to the book page by page, then it would probably receive a 2 or 3. But I was concerned more about the themes carried from the book as well as the impact it had on me personally. And thankfully, the movie offered many seriously powerful spiritual messages. Amazing.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat May 17, 2008 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Me and the sibbies saw it tonight, and I enjoyed it. Were it not for a funny line from Lucy, the whole romance thing would've had me angry--as it is, I'm just midly annoyed ;)

Repicheep is just plain cool, as is Trumpkin and Dr. Cornelius (who, we agreed, if you take the beard off could be Whit).

It's been a while since I've read the book, but I do know where it wasn't faithful. That being said, it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie at all (except for the whole Susan/Caspian thing). Overall, I was very satisfied, and look forward to the next one ^_^

*disappears again*
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

The opening scene was great, but I was disappointed that they didn't go back and show the scene on the rooftop with Dr. Cornelius. It also results in Caspain's character not being as strongly established.

The soundtrack was much better than the first, except for that stupid song at the end.

They mentioned the prophecy about Aslan from LWW which was both cool and weird because they left it out of the first movie. I am very glad that this time they spent more effort into building up to Aslan's arrival. He finally has sense of mystery, awe, and power to him. Unfortunately he still didn't have quite enough actual screen time. They also changed one of his lines, like they did in the first movie, to make him seem less omniscient. And they seriously need to do something about his voice.

The giants seem to keep getting the short end of the stick when it comes to screen time.

The kept the DLF! But they did not go into how Trumpkin didn't believe in Aslan. Lamesauce...

Edmund's torch was awesome.

Reepicheep was perfect!

I was very disappointed that the meeting of Lucy and Alsan was not the same peaceful nighttime scene it was in the book. It's one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. But at the same time I liked that fact that they made the meeting more at the climax of the movie. I also liked how the consequences of not following Aslan are amplified in the movie.

The River God was not explained clearly enough for people who haven't read the book. How hard was it for them to just have Aslan at least briefly mention what in the world was happening?

The Caspian/Susan flirting was painfully pathetic. And Susan was a wannabe Legolas. It seems like whenever they weren't sure what to do they just randomly threw in an action scene or a LOTR formula. But the LOTR formula scenes weren't as bad as the first movie.

Overall I enjoyed it more the the first. I'm still baffled as to why they chose Andrew Adamson to direct these movies, but fortunately he won't be directing again.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I haven't seen it, and don't intend to at least until it's at the discount theater. A friend of mine saw it and said it was okay but it didn't necessarily live up to the first one entirely. It's been a long time since I've read Prince Caspian, but from what I recall its probably just a harder story to turn into a film. I've read a number of random reviews and most people seem to have the same opinion... a couple really cool moments but overall it was kind of weak. The early numbers from yesterday have it tracking lower box office than what was originally expected, which is bad I suppose but Iron Man is tracking higher than expected which is probably a part of Caspian's problem... so I'm not too disappointed because Iron Man is cooler. ;)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

REEPACHEAP ROCKED!!! I would have gone to the movie JUST TO SEE HIM!! \:D/

Overall, I was really impressed. Sure, they didn't follow the book that much, but that deosn't bother me. It made me really sad in a couple parts, like the castle invasion. :boohoo:

ok, Susan did get a little annying at times, it was like she thought she was way to cool. =;

I hope they do Voyage of the Dawn Treader, if only for Reapacheep!! \:D/
Elrohir wrote:And they seriously need to do something about his voice.
What's wrong with Aslan's voice?! :-s

I was impressed with they'r potrayal of Aslan! =D>

Please don't double post ~The invisible mod
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Jellyfish11 wrote:

His voice is too soft. Aslan's voice is supposed to be loud and deep.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Elrohir wrote:
Jellyfish11 wrote:

His voice is too soft. Aslan's voice is supposed to be loud and deep.
Naw, i think it's perfect. It's not like he wants to scare everyone all the time, he has the option of changing his voice to "loud and deep". (or just roaring a cammanding roar.)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I give it a 10!!! I LOVED Reepicheep. I missed the beginning so I'm going to see it again later this week.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Prince Caspian? I LOVED it!!

As far as following the book--I'll borrow a quote from a friend of mine--Andrew Adamson has a way of taking a C. S. Lewis book written for children and adapting it so adults and children can both enjoy it.

I was a little afraid of how the movie would turn out, since Prince Caspian is my least favorite of the seven books, it just seems to drag in places. However, the movie version did an excellent job in tweaking the plot and the action sequence to make it better than the book (and I don't say better lightly, I almost never think a movie is better than a book). I do like that the appearance of Aslan was the climax of the movie.

Yes, Susan was a stick-in-the-mud, just like she is in the book. I actually didn't mind the addition of the romance. It made the story more realistic in showing that the children are growing older. It's not outside the realm of possibility for Susan to have a romance with a Narnian--if you remember from The Horse and his Boy, she considers a Calormen suitor.

The biggest change from the book (I thought) was the addition of the castle raid. It fit well with the story, and it was the one part of the movie that moved me to tears. It was awful to watch as they left some of their people behind.

The best part of the movie was Reepicheep who was exactly as I have always imagined him.

Altogether, I give it a 9.75 out of 10. I can't wait for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Mable wrote:I actually didn't mind the addition of the romance. It made the story more realistic in showing that the children are growing older. It's not outside the realm of possibility for Susan to have a romance with a Narnian--if you remember from The Horse and his Boy, she considers a Calormen suitor.
Yes! Someone that finally doesn't mind Susan liking Caspian. I thought it was great how she and he liked eachother...Just a sweet tint at the end of the movie.
Though it almost made me cry how Peter and Susan never get to come to Narnia again...:cry:
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Question- what's with all the Narnia movie hype :-s ?

I really loved the books, however, the first movie severely disappointed me. I thought the acting was terrible, the actors/actresses (William, Skandar, Anna, and Georgie) were horrible at showing emotion, and... just overall, pathetic at acting. All of our American actors blow them away (Dakota Fanning and Elijah Wood when he was younger to name two). Now in the second one, they have totally changed it from the books. Prince Caspian was about 12 years old in the books- not 19 or 20. Also, neither he nor Susan liked each other. The fact that they felt the need to 'spice the movie up' with a little romance really depressed me. Remember that Susan loses her faith in Narnia altogether- we read that in the last book "The Last Battle", and her little 'romance' with Caspian really doesn't go along with that. Also, the ONLY person Caspian ever likes is the woman he marries in the "Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

All in all, I have been severely disappointed.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

What's with all the Narnia book hype? :-s

I think the thing viewers need to realize when going to see the film is the fact that it isn't supposed to be a carbon copy of the book. It's merely one person's interpretation of the the story C.S. Lewis wrote. When you see it that way, you're much less prone to being disappointed.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

Yeah! Like...were any of you this dissapointed when the Lord of the Rings movies were so off from the book?
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

The books were the original works, and quite often, as is the case now, are far better than remakes.

Changing key elements like the age of a main character, romantic relationships, etc.. really irk me. The Lord of the Rings weren't changed dramatically with key elements like that. They didn't make Legolas have a crush on Arwen and Aragorn fight him in the movies ;). Now that.. would have been pathetic. Also, the biggest reason that things were slightly changed in the movies were because of just how LONG the books were. They are HUGE books, and you can't fit everything into a 3 hour movie, so you end up with a slightly different, condensed version. My suggestion to you is to buy the extended version of the movie. It's much better. The Chronicles of Narnia, however, were small enough to fit into a movie the way they are originally.

The main thing that made me mad, however, was the lack of quality control in the acting department :- .
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Good: Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie, and I'm the big Narnia buff of the family! I thought it was a nice touch to have the "what happened before" story and the kid's story going on at the same time. I thought that it really increased the suspense of the movie. The opener with Caspian escaping from the castle was particularly well done. The whole battle at the castle was great. It made Peter look incredibly stupid. :lol: But anyway, Peter was depicted as a jerk in this movie. The thing I liked best about the night scene, though, was Edmund. Edmund has turned into my favorite character, but more on that later. I enjoyed all of the fighting in it, because I just like that sort of thing. I liked the duel with Miraz vs. Peter and the battle scene that came after it. I liked the river god eating that Telmarine officer. It made me laugh when Lucy came up to the bridge and drew her little knife on the huge army. :rofl: We get to see alot of Miraz which was cool, because we don't really get to see much of him in the book. The white which scene was particularly well done. I liked seeing Queen Prunaprismia fleshed out a little more.

Bad: As has probably been said time and time again, the movie trails a dreadfully long way away from the book. There are so many characters here and there, in random spots, that it is all mixed up every which way. They move through the opening very quickly. And, of corse the Susan/Caspian love story. This was very very very odd. It made me laugh though, it led to one of the best lines in the movie:

Susan: It would have never worked out between us.

Caspian: Why not?

Susan: I'm 1300 years older than you.

:rofl2:

But, these are just minor little whiny complaints. All in all, the movie earns:

5 big scary walking trees out of 5

Now it is time for my wonderful character summary:

Caspian: The hero of the story. A little prideful, but always good natured, he tries to do the right thing even at great cost.

Peter: Ah, Peter, it takes him awhile to learn his lesson. He plays for himself during the raid on the castle, he's not doing it for Aslan, he's doing it for himself. This raid leads to losing several men even. So all I can say is: :shame: :shame: :shame: .

Susan: She pulled a couple of Legolas things in this movie. Like standing in the middle of the field shooting down enemys and stabbing someone with an arrow. :lol: Susan did get her own little time in the spotlight, but she can never come back. The dorky kid opening was funny.

Edmund: Yay Edmund! Edmund was great in this one, not only being a little spy with a flashlight on the castle tower, but also having the sense to destroy the White Which mirror! Anyway, I really liked Edmund.

Lucy: Little Lucy... I think the person that played her is annoying. She is the youngest so naturally everyone hates her. But seriously, she was the only one to see Aslan, the only one to believe in Aslan, so, judge for yourself.

Miraz: Selfish, tyrannical dictator who was paroniod about power! And, he got the ironic ending being killed by his own man!
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Tue May 20, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Lol- "It never would have worked out between us." is a direct quote and direct thievery from POTC. Amazing that they would blatantly do something like that :-s.

Also, Legolas moves and Chronicles of Narnia just don't seem to coincide.. however, that would be the second time that the directs would have participated in gleaning from other movies.

So now, we have POTC and LOTR on the list of movies Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian has stolen from.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Iron and Light wrote:Lol- "It never would have worked out between us." is a direct quote and direct thievery from POTC. Amazing that they would blatantly do something like that :-s.

Also, Legolas moves and Chronicles of Narnia just don't seem to coincide.. however, that would be the second time that the directs would have participated in gleaning from other movies.

So now, we have POTC and LOTR on the list of movies Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian has stolen from.
Calm yourself...

You can add Edmund falling off of the tower and landing on an eagle as Gandalf did.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
Iron and Light wrote:Lol- "It never would have worked out between us." is a direct quote and direct thievery from POTC. Amazing that they would blatantly do something like that :-s.

Calm yourself...

You can add Edmund falling off of the tower and landing on an eagle as Gandalf did.

I am calm, however, I am a movie critic.... and I hate it when other movies steal from my favorite movies ;).

That sickens me even more (Edmund landing on the eagle). Thank you for sharing that wonderful piece of plagiarism with me \:D/ .