Carpooling/hotel splitting, etc to the Live taping

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jessicado
Love to love

Carpooling/hotel splitting, etc to the Live taping

Post by Jessicado »

I am seriously considering trying to make the trek to the live taping in August. I was curious if anyone else out there is trying to also make it and is interested in trying to cut costs of travelling costs. I am not sure if I will be flying, but if I can find others to carpool with, that might also be an option. Of course that only works if you live out in the NW! Another idea was if any girls were interested in sharing hotel rooms.....

This thread isn't just for me BTW---perhaps other ToOers from other areas of the country would like to discuss carpooling, sharing rooms etc. So I guess my suggestion, is if you are interested, post here! No offense, but I think this idea is best suited for adults only, unless parents come with as well.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

hey Jess! I'm heading out with my grandparents so I'd probably be staying with them as well. However, depending on when and where you fly into/out of, we might be able to get you to or from the airport...no promises at this point though cause it's kinda far in advance. I DO know that I will be flying out of Denver to get back to school, but as of right now, I don't know the day - most likely Sunday though.

It would be fun though if we all stayed in the same hotel, or one close to each other! YAY!!!

ugh - I feel like a trekkie or whatever. I used to make fun of people (sorta) who gathered for conventions and such and now I'm doing it AAH!!!!!!!
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I haven't thought past the traveling plans... much less accommodations. :headscratch:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Are these the same grandparents I met? That would be cool to see you again!

I'm trying to decide right now how serious I am about going, and if I come, if I'll bring Azure with me or not. She'll be about 15 months old by then....and if I leave her it will be the first time ever! Seriously, I've only left her for an hour once so far.... I think she'd do okay then though. It's more me who might not be okay :anxious: I'd miss her sooooo much! So that is why if I bring her, I'd fly, because I'm not doing cross country car treks with a baby. :noway: I also thought it would be fun to drive with other AIO fans, because when I met with Top and JF, it was the first time I got to listen to AIO in a car with other adults and not get made fun of! And who can forget such classics such as AIO/the ToO alphabet games! \:D/ See, I can't do that if I drive across country with my husband, as he makes fun of AIO..... :(

I make fun of convention "nerds" too......but in our defense, we are going to a live taping! Not a big exhibit hall with people dressed like AIO characters. We'll be witnessing the real actors/actresses doing their magic! Umm......is that enough of a difference to un-nerd us? :-s (My husband says no).
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Jessicado wrote:Another idea was if any girls were interested in sharing hotel rooms.....
You should pm my sister--as of right now, it's her in a room with me, my brother, and friend of ours. At this point, someone will be sleeping on the floor ;)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'll gladly take your sister's spot if she's willing to give it up, Jonathan! ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Jessicado wrote:Are these the same grandparents I met? That would be cool to see you again!

I'm trying to decide right now how serious I am about going, and if I come, if I'll bring Azure with me or not. She'll be about 15 months old by then....and if I leave her it will be the first time ever! Seriously, I've only left her for an hour once so far.... I think she'd do okay then though. It's more me who might not be okay :anxious: I'd miss her sooooo much! So that is why if I bring her, I'd fly, because I'm not doing cross country car treks with a baby. :noway: I also thought it would be fun to drive with other AIO fans, because when I met with Top and JF, it was the first time I got to listen to AIO in a car with other adults and not get made fun of! And who can forget such classics such as AIO/the ToO alphabet games! \:D/ See, I can't do that if I drive across country with my husband, as he makes fun of AIO..... :(

I make fun of convention "nerds" too......but in our defense, we are going to a live taping! Not a big exhibit hall with people dressed like AIO characters. We'll be witnessing the real actors/actresses doing their magic! Umm......is that enough of a difference to un-nerd us? :-s (My husband says no).
Yes they are! \:D/

As for Azure, I guess the question is how will she do during the live recording? Will she be able to sit still that long? :)

*sigh* I miss our road trip! :mecry:
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hey did someone just have the audacity to call me an adult!? :x

Anyway I'd be glad to travel/lodge with someone, but I am being flown in on Dr. Dobson's private jet and staying in his mansion so I don't think that would work out. :noway:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Did you really need to quote the whole post, Sarah? :noway:

Jessica, I think you should bring Azure! It'll be an experience she'll never forget. \:D/
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Did you really need to quote the whole post, Sarah? :noway:

Jessica, I think you should bring Azure! It'll be an experience she'll never forget. \:D/
IF she remembers it. ;)

Seriously though. It would be cool to meet her, but I know from what I've seen/been told i's also pretty hard to travel with a baby - especially a just walking one. However, with all the AIO people there I'm sure you'd get help with her! After all - it IS Focus on the FAMILY. ;)

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Yeah, it would kinda be ironic to leave your daughter at home when you're going to a Focus on the Family event. :shame:
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Thanks for the heads up Jonathan!

I would love to bring Azure--she actually does EXCELLENT hanging out with me. She has such a great temperament--I've been blessed! The only thing is she is good in the car for about 2 hours tops and then it's a downhill ride....so driving across the country with her is vetoed. :( If I didn't have her, I would go in a heartbeat....she is the only thing holding me back. I am sure she would be fine with my parents for a few days, and that they would love the time with her. I would just miss her sooooo much. :( Like I said, I've only been separated from her for an hour so far!

I really want to go though.....

I'm so confused! ](*,)
The Top Crusader wrote:Hey did someone just have the audacity to call me an adult!? :x

Anyway I'd be glad to travel/lodge with someone, but I am being flown in on Dr. Dobson's private jet and staying in his mansion so I don't think that would work out. :noway:
And actually by the adult comment Top, you were the only ToOer I was obviously excluding....... \:D/

Another car trip with you would be a fate worse than death!!!!! :sick:
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I'd be up for just about anything that could save me a buck. Not sure how I'm getting out there yet, but that will probably determine the level of collaboration. My sister may also be coming.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

Me wrote:I'd be up for just about anything that could save me a buck. Not sure how I'm getting out there yet, but that will probably determine the level of collaboration. My sister may also be coming.
That would be neat if you two came! Perhaps we could all be carpool buddies! Plus I've already met you, so I'm pretty sure you are not an evil ax murderer \:D/ .

Not that there are really un-evil ones....

Cliff works as a mechanic at a place that does bio-diesel conversions, veggie oil, etc, and they are trying to convince me to get rid of my jeep and get a new vehicle to do that with. This trip might be new incentive to get a SUV with veggie-oil capabilities, and then we could travel cross country for practically free! Or perhaps they would let me rent a vehicle if I don't have the funds to buy a new car by then.....
Hope
You like me! You really like me!

Post by Hope »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I'll gladly take your sister's spot if she's willing to give it up, Jonathan! ;)
hey!!! we will just have to wait and see... jonathan are you going to replace me??? *looks at him with a pouty face* just say no or just say when we are at the motel/hotel you will replace me...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Hope wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:I'll gladly take your sister's spot if she's willing to give it up, Jonathan! ;)
hey!!! we will just have to wait and see... jonathan are you going to replace me??? *looks at him with a pouty face* just say no or just say when we are at the motel/hotel you will replace me...
heh, Hope's post there was made b/c she doesn't understand the situation, I think--I'll fill her in on what's going on ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I haven't made plans yet, but I'd definitely be interested. I live in the NW, and my sister would most likely be coming too.
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

That would be neat Lizzie! :)

I was checking out rental cars online through Avis after Me said him and his sister might be interested (My Jeep is getting up there in miles, and Cliff's Jeep is 4x4'd out and and running on 33s so it gets horrible gas mileage) and I can rent a Chevy Cobalt for less than $130 for 5 days. I'm not sure how long we would really need a vehicle for, but I was just estimating to get a quote. The car has unlimited miles (other companies were charging 25cents a mile!) , and gets an average of 31 MPG highway and 22 city. Mileage from OR to Colorado Springs is about 2100 round trip (I rounded up to 2500)....so at $3.50 a gallon, and averaging 30 mpg, it should cost about $300 for gas. So if there were 3 of us in a car...it would only cost $150 each for the trip!

If you and your sister came, as well as Me and his sister...there would be 5 of us, so we could upgrade to a Pontiac Vibe SUV Chevrolet Uplander mini van for $225. (I guess technically we could still take the car because it will seat 5, but it would probably be very cramped!) It averages the same for mileage, so it would be $105 each! \:D/

If anyone else in the NW is interested and wants to come: we could also rent a minivan (Chevy Uplander) that seats 7 for $288. It averages about 20 mpg so that would make gas about $450, and only $105 each too.

Cliff used to live in Colorado Springs, and he once drove straight from there to Oregon nonstop in 21 hours. If people don't mind trying to drive straight there and back (less time away from my daughter if I don't bring her....and less hotel costs for you!) we could take turns so it wouldn't be a huge hassle and we could all get some sleep. I have all of AIO on an ipod we could listen to, as well as a portable DVD player. I don't know how the tapings are set up yet or anything, but if we left on the 14th in the morning to arrive on the 15th for the taping and gathering of other ToOer's I figure we would only need one night at a hotel, (which people can also split to save on moolah) and then we could leave on the 16th in the evening and arrive home in the evening of the 17th. Or perhaps stay the 16th too in CO and leave the 17th in the morning and get home on the 18th in the morning so we don't feel as rushed.

So those are my thoughts for now. Wow...I am being so organized! :-s Let me know Me/sis and Lizzie/sis if this sounds feasible or if you have other ideas. If anyone has a car they don't mind driving that would work too. If anyone else wants to hop on board let us know also!

BTW--I vetoed the veggie oil idea because I don't want to hassle with trying to find places to fill up with oil on the trip. Plus it is messy. If I was driving by myself I'd probably do it to save on gas money, but since we'd be splitting it, I figure it isn't worth it to go through all that hassle.
Hope

Post by Hope »

Jonathan wrote:
Hope wrote:
heh, Hope's post there was made b/c she doesn't understand the situation, I think--I'll fill her in on what's going on ;)
Im sry... i didnt realize that if im joking on the too i have to put a wink at the end of my post

Jonathan here--I have taught her the winkiness of the wink.
Prince Caspian
ÇİΛ
ÇİΛ

Post by Prince Caspian »

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 05:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Did you really need to quote the whole post, Sarah?

Jessica, I think you should bring Azure! It'll be an experience she'll never forget.

IF she remembers it.

Seriously though. It would be cool to meet her, but I know from what I've seen/been told i's also pretty hard to travel with a baby - especially a just walking one. However, with all the AIO people there I'm sure you'd get help with her! After all - it IS Focus on the FAMILY.
If they need a baby for the ep, she could be in it!!:shock: =D>
In the darkness, Ryan and Angel brighten up the ToO with Duck Juice flavored Linux as the mandatory os.
Vote for Ryan and Angel '08!