Enjoying AIO as an unbeleiver.

The difficulties of personal discoveries

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Enjoying AIO as an unbeleiver.

Post by FriendlyFangirl88 »

I use to be a regular arround the old AIO board. Well...semi-regular. I'd fade in and out. I used a different user-name there, and had a lengthy fanfiction posted. I considered myself Christian then, because I grew up in that faith. Just like I grew up on AIO.

I know how many of you will react to what I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyway. After years of soul-searching and thinking about my perceptions of the world and discoveries about myself, I realized that the only reason I beleived anything I had grown up beleiving was because it was all I had ever been taught. I started expanding my ideas, and have come into a new sort of faith that I am far more comfortable with, not to mention have greater trust in, then the Christianity I grew up in.

If you feel you must pray for my return to the Lord, please do so. I still believe in prayer, in a sence, so I'll thank you for your thoughts. However, now onto the main point of this post -

I know Adventures in Odyssey is a Christian program. It's sort-of impossable to miss. Yet I find myself still enjoying it, despite my fundamential disagreement with some of the messages. These are characters I grew up knowing and loving. I still have a rather large collection of episodes, and still enjoy listening to them. As I am, I'm particularly fascinated by the Blackguaard and Novacom Arcs, and the character actions therein. I've been half planning on writing another fanfiction detailing the life of Richard Maxwell post- DBD.

HOWEVER - I have a feeling that fanfiction idea will not be very well received, because it will incorporate some of my own beleifs and ideas.

So...there are a few questions I have to ask. Am I, a by choice unbeleiver, welcome on these forums despite my differences? Do you think it's wrong for me to still be a fan of a Christian program when I've, in essence, turned my back on the Christian religion?
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Why would it be wrong for you to enjoy AIO or be on this forum? This is just a site for AIO fans to be able to talk about it and have fun!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

New members are always welcome on the ToO! As long as you follow the same rules as everyone else, it's fine that you think differently than most of the members of this board. We're not here to tell you exactly what you have to believe, though, as you already seem to be aware of, there will be people who would like to see you loving and serving God in the future. :) You've been up front about the fact that some people might not like aspects of your fanfiction, so if you want to post it with a comment similar to what you've made here with any fanfic that you post, feel free to do so! As long as the language and the content (violence etc.) are suitable for a broad range of people and not inappropriate for our younger members, you won't be prevented from posting it. I think that it's good that AIO still appeals to you, and I hope that you continue listening to it in the years to come!

The best place to post fanfiction will be in the board that's called Inventor's Corner, which is part of our Subscription Based Content. To gain access to that board, click "Factions" on the top menu bar and then under "Non-member factions" choose "SBC: Inventor's Corner" and then click "subscribe" to be added automatically! :D
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Thank you so much. I was concerned...

And thanks for the tip on where to post fanfictions! I'll subscribe there right away and start my brainstorming...
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

I'd love to read your fanfiction, and I'd love to have you here! It is pretty crazy. Anyway, of corse you are welcome here. Anyone is. It is for any fan of AIO. Anyone can enjoy AIO. Dosen't matter if you are a Christian or not.I myself am a Christian. Please post your fanfiction, I look forward to it!
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Alright, so it seems years after my first "I've been gone and am back" I'm doing it again.
Maybe not with a fanfiction idea this time...but I'll be doing some lurking and posting and whatnot...most likely reviewing episodes over in the reviews forum as I listen to them.

I think AIO is a safe sort of nostalgia for me. Something a bit overbearing for my tastes, and I'll disagree with it frequently...but it's my past in it's purest form...growing into my present. It's something inescapable. Kind of like the Odyssey itself, isn't it?
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

There are probably many non-Christians on here but that doesn't stop them from being a fan. We will still take you in as a fan no matter your religion. Welcome to the Town of Odyssey. (there are non-Christians on Adventures in Odyssey that are good)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

As others have said, don't worry too much about being a non-Christian. You can love AIO no matter what. I think at times we like to assume, and we shouldn't, so that is what can get any of us in trouble, but we're here for AIO, not necessarily always a Christian gathering (while there are many, of course).

Oh, fanfiction. :) You should definitely show anything you have written. I love reading it... and writing it, but I get in trouble because every story is about Richard Maxwell (I'm a bit of an obsessed fan... there is a better word for it... can't remember now. lol). I'd love to read what you have! :) Even your ideas, no matter what they are, are fine. No one is going to tell you they are wrong. We all come very different and unique backgrounds and areas of life. If we didn't have differences, we wouldn't function...

:)
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

Thank you, so much.
Today has been an incredible day for me...I'm glad to be back, and I'll be listening to more Odyssey and posting around here more. Thanks so much for always being accepting.
...as for fanfic...we'll see what happens. I'm having some vague inspiration but...well...we'll see.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

My husband is not exactly a 'die hard' Christian though he says he believes the basics if you ask the right questions. But, he LOVES Advenstures in Odyssey as much as I do. I was up front that at least being able to 'tolerate' it was part of the marriage contract. ;-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

V-lady wrote:Why would it be wrong for you to enjoy AIO or be on this forum? This is just a site for AIO fans to be able to talk about it and have fun!
I very much agree. Friendly Fangirl88, I am looking forward to reading your fanfiction. :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I'm very sorry to hear you're not a believer anymore. I'm going to be praying that you will allow God to have your life again.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

You're welcome here on the ToO. I will pray for you to get saved though.
therealjoecool
Not as new
Post by therealjoecool »

I think it's great that you're here and you're still a fan of odyssey. I even think the idea of you writing fanfiction is great. The only thing I would suggest is that, in your writing, you should respect the ideals and beliefs that Focus on the Family promotes w/ Odyssey, whether you agree with them or not. For example, writing about a Whit who has a broader worldview, with beliefs that we know the official Whit doesn't hold to be true, would be disrepectful to the folks who create and own the show. Nor do feel it would be well received here. I don't think the people here would be mean or disrepectful to you for it— I just think many would probably argue that the story wasn't in the spirit of the Odyssey we know and love. That said, I'm in no way saying that you would even do that, though you did mention incorporating your beliefs. If you really want to do so, I would suggest that you introduce a new character who shares your beliefs and then have Whit/Connie/Wooten/Eugene or whoever's reaction to their beliefts— their reaction should be consistant with their ideology on the show. John Avery Whitaker is a loving man who would be respectful to that character, but we all know he would never agree with him/her.

Glad you're here and look forward to your stories!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Hello, FriendlyFangirl! It's good to have you here, and while I can't honestly say I'm not saddened by your unbelief, I respect your opinions and I for one trust that you will do likewise.

Welcome to the ToO! :D
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

thank you...

and therealjoalcool I completely agree with you. Honestly that's been my greatest struggle with some of my concepts...portraying Whit's reaction to them realistically without feeling as though I'm sending the opposite message of the one I intended.

Don't worry, the most prominent idea in my head actually includes Christian perspectives and opinions in a mostly positive way...though I will portray exactly how much damage some decisions based on faith can cause to those who don't understand them. ...oh...and how sometimes prayer will leave you without any kind of real straight answer, just the affirmation of things you already thought/felt and how confusing that can be (something I happen to know my dad struggles with A LOT)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Peachey Keen wrote:I'm very sorry to hear you're not a believer anymore. I'm going to be praying that you will allow God to have your life again.
Um, excuse me, you can't be a believer than all of the sudden not be one anymore.... If you are saved, there is no way to get 'unsaved'... unless, of course you were never saved to begin with.

Anyhow, welcome to the board. ;) I don't hold anything against you for not being a believer in Christ. But I do know that Jesus wants what is best for you, and He can only give you His best through Him. :yes:
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Um, excuse me, you can't be a believer than all of the sudden not be one anymore.... If you are saved, there is no way to get 'unsaved'... unless, of course you were never saved to begin with.
No, just because you got saved doesn't mean that you can go around killing people for fun and still go to heaven, that wouldn't be just.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

If you want to debate along those lines, take it to the Campbell County Debate Society, please, not here. :)
FriendlyFangirl88
Not as new

...and if you do, link me to the debate. That's always a fun subject for me...I'd be interested in reading it.