Football and The Bible

EDITOR'S NOTE: By writing this I'm not saying that I hate football (not at all, lol).

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Have you ever skipped (not left early) church to watch a football game or any other sporting event?

Yes.
11%
No.
89%

Total votes: 19

Movieman
Wants David O Piano
Wants David O Piano

Football and The Bible

Post by Movieman »

I wrote this in a paper for a class in school and I want to get some opinions from other Christians out there and their thoughts on what I mentioned:

Most people today seem all to willing to put anything God-related or church-related aside if doing so would benefit them in some way (however trivial that way may be). Take Sunday football games, for example (we will discuss football again later on). Even with some of the godliest men you know, on any given Sunday the thought “I wonder when the game starts” probably pops into their head at least a couple of times during the church service. It is not that they are worshipping the game of football; it is just the millions of dollars spent on commercials for football games have paid off in that they have invaded the mind of those people, subliminally coercing them to put their focus on the game. If people (Christians especially) would guard their minds as the Bible tells them to, things like this would not distract them from the one thing their focus should be on.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Well, that's because sports are their God of course.... :boohoo:

At least in most cases. :-
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Nasri
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Nasri »

Yes but have ever watch a soccer match in church

Check out my newspaper To0 Star
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Oh dear goodness no. I have come to despise sports more and more the older I've got, and this is one reason. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd do something so stupid.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

No, not ever! My parents would never ever let us skip. EVER! And I can't say I ever wanted to. Leaving early is bad as well, unless you have a better reason.
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

My pastor just plays the game during the service.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Our evening service was rather sparse on Superbowl Sunday! But maybe they attended at a different time?

For those that feel conflicted, I have one word - DVR! \:D/ Record the game and go to church. Then watch it from the beginning when you come home. But... be sure to avoid all news media and perhaps turn off the ringer on the phone so as to not spoil the outcome. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Or we could record church... :-k

(Just kidding.. I was kidding about the first post too.)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Is our own Christianity and relationship with God more important than football? Absolutely.

But still if there is one "big game" (Superbowl or playoffs or your favorite team VS your most hated team) on a Sunday night I really don't think there is anything wrong with missing one service.
Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

In my opinion, it doesn't matter when you spend time with God, as long as you do spend time with Him. Many churches have services on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights.

I remember, once, when I was very young, a pastor at my old church cancelled an evening Sunday service because he knew that two of our members were football fans who sacrificed watching the games regularly to attend. I still don't understand why he cancelled the service for that, though.
Everything written in this post is false.
Clodius Albinus
Smile for the camera

Post by Clodius Albinus »

A real fan, of course, isn't distracted in church wondering when the game starts. He knows.
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Joseph Schumpeter wrote:A real fan, of course, isn't distracted in church wondering when the game starts. He knows.
lol, good point.
The Top Crusader wrote:Is our own Christianity and relationship with God more important than football? Absolutely.

But still if there is one "big game" (Superbowl or playoffs or your favorite team VS your most hated team) on a Sunday night I really don't think there is anything wrong with missing one service.
I'd agree--if you had an alternative option for attending church that week. If you only had one service you could go to that weekend, and you skipped for something as trivial as a football game, I can't say I agree.
Jack Davis
OK

Post by Jack Davis »

I accidentally voted no, but I just I just remembered that my Dad and I went to a Iowa Cyclones vs Nebraska Huskers game about three years ago, and we did skip the Sunday Evening service. We don't make a habit of it though.
Thanks Darth Birdie for the HSE, and DanP740 for the HUGE donation.

Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I've never left early or skipped church for a sporting match. But, there have been times right after Youth Group (on Sunday) that the Youth Pastor and some of the kids will turn on the football or american football game to watch! \:D/

-Robo
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

I don't skip church for sports events. For starts, I can't make it to church out where I live, and second I don't have the slightest interest in most sports. :-k
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

If there's a really important game on right after church sometimes I'll just find a room that can get the channel for the game and watch it on that until I leave :anxious:
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

My brothers once skipped church to go to a football game. But that's because they wouldn't have been able to get parking on time if they would have come.

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I have one statement, ;)

I really think that when you skip church or decide to skip one service and go to the other, I would really question your motives in life. Even if you only do it once, isn't God supposed to be your motive? I mean come on you get 6 other days to watch some guys play with a ball, (I like sports don't get me wrong) but why do you have to put God aside for that one day? If you're that interested in sports go buy some recording equipment and forget about it and worship God that day. Saying, oh I can go to the morning service and skip the evening, or say oh I'll go to Wednesday's service really is putting sports before God.

Just a little thing. \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Oh dear goodness no. I have come to despise sports more and more the older I've got, and this is one reason. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd do something so stupid.
:lol: That struck me as hilarious.

I haven't... my church doesn't hold Sunday Evening services though. (Actually, the only time I go to anything about football is the Super Bowl Party... and I usually watch movies there. :anxious: )
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

We don't have a sunday evening service \:D/

But no, I've never left early or skipped. Would be kinda weird being the pk and skipping :p

We turn the game on in church after church.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.