The Imagination Station - How Real Is It?

In it, can people get hurt? Killed?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Can someone die in the Imagination Station? (Read my first post before resopnding.)

Yes
8%
No
50%
Don't know
33%
The writers will never explore this possibility, so why wonder about it?
8%

Total votes: 12

Waluigi Freak 99
Catspaw Rocks!

The Imagination Station - How Real Is It?

Post by Waluigi Freak 99 »

Let's take a look at what we know . . .

People Can Experience Physical Pain in the Virtual Imagination Station Adventures
George Barclay experienced exhaustion, thirst, and pain during the adventure about the Passover in "Moses, the Passover, Parts One and Two". Lucy was grabbed by the arm in "An Adventure in Bethany", and, judging by the tone in her voice, experienced some pain. Rodney got tired (and complained for a great deal of time) after walking for a while in "St. Paul: The Man from Tarsus".

But, in "A Touch of Heaing", when Jason and Zach were being chased by gun-toting British soldiers in the Station, they showed absolute flippancy, mocking the soldiers while under fire. Obviously, either Jason does not understand how real adventures in the Station are, or he modified it to lessen physical pain, or at least to eliminate the possilibity of fatalty in the Station.

The Nagging Questions
- How real is the pain in the Imagination Station? Can it cause lasting damage to a person in reality?
- What happens if someone "dies" in the Station, do they die in real life? If someone is stabbed by a character in the Station, do they experience the effects of that in real life?

What are your thoughts?
Everything written in this post is false.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Well, in the novel series that Paul McCusker wrote, Whit says, "Whatever you experience in the IS should never come out with you—except what you learned, of course."

Yes, various people experienced physical pain in the Imagination Station, but I don't think it lasted outside the IS in reality. As for someone being stabbed or shot at...I'm not sure. :anxious:
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

I don't think Whit would create a machine that had the potential to seriously harm or kill someone. I think you can "imagine" yourself getting cuts and bruises, but you don't take those back with you to the real world. Remember, the idea is that this machine plays off your imagination. Any possibility of real danger or , the machine shuts down (such as at the end of "Moses: The Passover," when the IS shut down moments before the waves crashed down over George and Jimmy).
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
actinglove299
Sing in the sunshine

Post by actinglove299 »

What about when Aubrey meets the computer program with Dr.Blaggard in it? She comes out of it basically in a coma. Also, Whit almost dies in the Mortal Coil.
I don't think that you can physically get hurt in the imagination station, but your imagination can mess with your mind, and things can happen, like in the Mortal Coil.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

My brother and I just had a huge debate over this matter. :-k

We decided that yes, you can die in the imagination station. But, it would not really be, so to say 'the imagination station's fault'. Because whatever happens in the imagination station is in your mind. I mean, yeah, you could have a heart-attack or go in acoma because of what you saw or did, but everything is just in your mind. Ex: if you are on an adventure and are shot in the head you could a)come out and be unconcious because you were scared so much. or b)you could come out and say "That was really fun!" and be just fine. But, if you got hurt it would be because that is what your imagination did to you, not what the IS or people in the IS did or said to you. Only phisical (or mental) problems that you have in real life can effect you when you are in the imagination station.

But, I had this debate after voting. Sooo....yeah. I'll "change" mine to a 'yes', you can die in the imagination station.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

Wow! Tough questions! I never thought of it before. I'm undecided as of right now. People can get hurt, but die? I'm not sure....... I guess Whit would not intentionally let it do that, but....... Ahhh! I don't know. I will have to ponder this question more.....alot more. :?
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I would propose the same safety shutdown point theory as Applesauce... In Mortal Coil, the coma was likely caused by mental semi-breakdown and in B.R. it was likely caused by the Regis program causing this system to somehow malfunction.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Arla
Popsicle kid

Post by Arla »

I've been thinking and I think I have got it. You could die in the imagination station, but not by the machine itself. You couldn't get stabbed or shot to death. However if what you are doing affects you emotionally enough, I belive you could die. * I think*
Just smell those burning leaves, the warm baked bread, and the hot apple cider. Ahhh.
The Artful Dodger
Still standing tall

Post by The Artful Dodger »

I thought in that one really old ep about Jezebel those two kids got "beheaded" in the imagination station, but as soon as they "died" their adventure just ended. That's what I always thought anyway, it's been a while since I listened to that one ;)

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, 'goodbye.' And you were like, 'no, wait.' And then I was all, 'we pretended we were going to murder you.' That was great...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

It's been a while since I listened to "Elijah" as well, but I think that the program ends right before they would have been killed. :-k
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Since programs in the IS are only imagination, technically nothing that happens to you in them could hurt or kill you. And any pain occurring during the adventure would be akin to a dream. It can feel very real but in the end, it's not.

It has been shown on more than one occasion that the IS can hurt people outside of the imagination but that is unintended consequences. Whit nearly died, not because of the program itself but because of how his body reacted. Blackgaard's virus made the machine do stuff it wasn't supposed to. Zachary suffered emotional pain because of Jason's insensitivity. Alex nearly got hurt by broken glass from the machine. Lucy was injured in a power surge. None of that is what the IS was intended to do.
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I get the feeling that what everyone is saying is that the Imagination station can't kill (or hurt) you but your reaction to it can.

Think of the imagination station as a dream:
You fall asleep, (get in the IS) then, you can either have a good time (like learning a good lesson in the IS), or you can have a nightmare (being "hurt" in the IS). But then you end up just waking up in the end (exiting the IS).

Now, I have died in my dreams before, but I don't die in real life. But it still may make a difference in me emotionally, if I am young (like some of the kids that go in the IS) then I may think that it is real. And most of the time when I have a dream I do think that it is real. And so may some of the kids that go in the imagination station. Now, when someone messes with the Imagination station (like Blackgaard) then it can even affect adults (like Mr.Whittaker).

I hope that all made sense.
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

No, I don't think that you can die in the Imagination Station. And I think that Whit would have programmed it so that you couldn't "virtualy die" either. There probaly is somekind of safe guard intact that Whit put in that would shut down the program if the kid inside the station was about to imagine himself or herself dying.