Japanese goverment slaughter of dolphins

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Japanese goverment slaughter of dolphins

Post by xiao »

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING LINK CONTAINS A REAL AND EXTREMELY GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING VIDEO. IT HAS BEEN CREATED FOR ANIMAL RIGHTS PURPOSES AND SHOULD NOT BE VIEWED BY THE FAINT OF HEART.

This video depicts Japanese slowly slaughtering dolphins, as if they are worth nothing. They are innocent creatures with lives, and they slowly let them bleed to death. This video is seriously powerful, but also very disturbing. I'm not sure if I should post it here or not. I only hope that it will not be immaturely viewed as a "sick and twisted" video, as what they are doing is sick and twisted, but people need to know about it and that's what this video is for.

If the idea of dolphins being cut open and left to bleed to death is a bit too much for you, DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO.

Think about this every time you go get fish at the market. Check the package and make sure it is from a company that does good practice at fishing, and not from Asian countries that refuse to comply with fishing laws. I understand that they are animals and not humans, but this is painfully morally wrong.

I'm not an animal rights activist or a vegetarian by any means. But this really makes me think.

See: glumbert.com/media/dolphin

link edited - paste into browser to see it
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

That's really interesting, Xiao, and something I bet most Americans are totally unaware of. :-k

Here's an informational site that doesn't have a scary video, if anyone is interested in learning more about it. http://www.savejapandolphins.org/

*I edited the link in Xiao's post, just so that you have to want to visit it. Please, no mindless clicking on this one. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

THE STOP THE JAPS! \:D/
xiao

Post by xiao »

Pc Pro wrote:THE STOP THE JAPS! \:D/
The grammar your bad!
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Aw, thats terrible, I could only watch half of it. I've always loved the dolphin, I think it symbolizes strength and freedom, much like the bald eagle and the horse.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

That is really harsh. I couldn't watch all of it either. I actually wanted to be a marine biologist when I was little so that pulled several heartstrings. I am a vegitarian but it is for health reasons, and I'm not a big animal rights kind of person but that is just wrong.
I love the Japanese too. I love their language and their culture.
Wow.
That sucks.
Now I'm seriously conflicted, and rather angry as well.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Siblings: How do you know which it wants to be?
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

This is disturbing and very saddening. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

I'm Hurt by this. There is no way I can show this to my cousin. as she would burst out crying prolly.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Don't blame everyone in Japan, this is caused by global demand for dolphin meats. Just like the illegal animal pelts are in high demand, and because of this lions and leopards are poached. It isn't just the poachers who are wrong, the people who buy these products are wrong.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Don't blame everyone in Japan, this is caused by global demand for dolphin meats. Just like the illegal animal pelts are in high demand, and because of this lions and leopards are poached. It isn't just the poachers who are wrong, the people who buy these products are wrong.
Meat isn't the only reason they kill the dolphins. Plus the japanese are killing them in a very inhumane and awful way, slowly slicing through them with knives. I think this is a case where we can truly blame the japanese.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

xiao wrote:
Meat isn't the only reason they kill the dolphins. Plus the japanese are killing them in a very inhumane and awful way, slowly slicing through them with knives. I think this is a case where we can truly blame the japanese.
Apparently they do a simmilar thing with cows over here in North America, so there you go.
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

Oh I agree, it's very inhumane, it's disgusting (I couldn't finish the video either.)

But remember, they are fishing them because people buy the products that come from them. (What are the other products, xiao? I don't know what they make from them.)
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

Lord_Kappa wrote:Oh I agree, it's very inhumane, it's disgusting (I couldn't finish the video either.)

But remember, they are fishing them because people buy the products that come from them. (What are the other products, xiao? I don't know what they make from them.)
Good question. I'm interested to know the answer as well.
I for one do not blame the Japanese, but I did think that they only ate the dolphins. Japanese people are really into seafood after all.

Though this disturbes me I must stop and think about it for a moment. Is the slaughter of dolphins any worse than the eating of monkey brains or the hunting of ivory? Not that I encourage those things, quite the opposite, but it seems that the type of animal being murdered changes my feelings on the subject. I don't have problems with deer hunting, but why?
I think it is because of their inteligence. Cows only care about themselves and are rather dumb if you ask me, but dolphins seem to understand love and really care for eachother. So my final thought is that if it understands and is capable of loving something, then it should not be hunted.

Well...I just sorted my mind out in a post.
Should I post it?
Yes, I suppose I shall.
~Trinity B.~
Trinity: I don't believe in the catagoration of food. If it wants to be a fruit it can be fruit. If it wants to be vegetable it can be a vegetable. In todays society anyone and anything can be whatever they so wish.
Trinity: I just ask! I say 'Hey apple! You wanna be a fruit or a vegetable?' And the apple will say back to me 'Well, I always wanted to be a vegetable.' So I just say back 'Thus you are' and down the hatch said vegetable goes!
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

xiao wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:THE STOP THE JAPS! \:D/
The grammar your bad!
it's Yoda...^_^

Yikes... that is awful..
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Ferder wrote:
xiao wrote:
Apparently they do a simmilar thing with cows over here in North America, so there you go.
Yeah but we don't eat Dolphin Burgers do we?
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

trinity4888 wrote:
Though this disturbes me I must stop and think about it for a moment. Is the slaughter of dolphins any worse than the eating of monkey brains or the hunting of ivory? Not that I encourage those things, quite the opposite, but it seems that the type of animal being murdered changes my feelings on the subject. I don't have problems with deer hunting, but why?
I think it is because of their inteligence. Cows only care about themselves and are rather dumb if you ask me, but dolphins seem to understand love and really care for eachother. So my final thought is that if it understands and is capable of loving something, then it should not be hunted.
We consider animals at different levels of intelligence, but honestly I think they are all pretty similar. I don't know how capable of "love" animals are and I honestly don't have a problem with the humane killing of any animal for a purpose. [Whether for food or for a by-product of the animal.] The video wouldn't work for me, so I can't comment on it other than to say if it is inhumane, like everyone who has seen it agrees thus far, then it is wrong. But not because it is a dolphin.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
trinity4888
Gold Member

Post by trinity4888 »

Jennifer Doyle wrote:
trinity4888 wrote:
We consider animals at different levels of intelligence, but honestly I think they are all pretty similar. I don't know how capable of "love" animals are and I honestly don't have a problem with the humane killing of any animal for a purpose. [Whether for food or for a by-product of the animal.] The video wouldn't work for me, so I can't comment on it other than to say if it is inhumane, like everyone who has seen it agrees thus far, then it is wrong. But not because it is a dolphin.
Thats a very good point. I didn't think to even mention the fact that their deaths were so inhumane. I don't know if animals really have the capabillity to love either but it said in the video that the fisherman would sometimes wound a dolphin because the others one not leave a wounded family member behind. That to me is almost a display of love.
Thanks for pointing that out.
~Trinity B.~
Rio
Animatronic

Post by Rio »

ek wrote:
Ferder wrote:
xiao wrote:
My cuz ate cat while he was in Japan and brought the left overs homes to his cat and it gobbled it up! :sick:

RR
xiao

Post by xiao »

RioRenae wrote:
ek wrote:
Ferder wrote:
xiao wrote:
My cuz ate cat while he was in Japan and brought the left overs homes to his cat and it gobbled it up! :sick:

RR
your cousin is sadistic
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

this is common knowage in Australia cuzs we are big into trying to stop the japs whaling