What's the Next Narnia Movie?

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Shennifer wrote:It's not just the Susan/Caspian thing that annoyed me; it's the major plot deviations from the book. I should watch the movie (and read the book especially) and make a long list of all inaccuracies.
There were only a few plot deviations: they left out Aslan taking the girls into the town, they moved Lucy meeting Aslan to the climax of the story (which I thought was a nice addition) they diluted the whole loss of faith in the old Narnia thing, and they added the siege and the teen angst. The siege scene was alright. Didn't really care one way or the other. Teen angst could have been left out. There are other details I would have changed, but they're not "major plot deviations".

"inaccuracies" are not necessarily a bad thing. If it had been EXACTLY like the book, it probably wouldn't have been a good movie. Good book does not equal good movie. If you want the movie to be exactly the same as the book in every respect, then there's no point to making it because it'll never be as good as sitting down and reading it. A movie has different rules to what makes it good or bad than books do.
Last edited by Elrohir on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

that's true, Elrohir. And I haven't read the book for a long time, which of course makes me less informed. I still think there are tons of inaccuracies, but I won't harp on them. I'd rather enjoy waiting for next movie in peace :yes: \:D/ only 9 more months people!

Till the end of the line.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Elrohir wrote:
Shennifer wrote:It's not just the Susan/Caspian thing that annoyed me; it's the major plot deviations from the book. I should watch the movie (and read the book especially) and make a long list of all inaccuracies.
There were only a few plot deviations: they left out Aslan taking the girls into the town, they moved Lucy meeting Aslan to the climax of the story (which I thought was a nice addition) they diluted the whole loss of faith in the old Narnia thing, and they added the siege and the teen angst. The siege scene was alright. Didn't really care one way or the other. Teen angst could have been left out. There are other details I would have changed, but they're not "major plot deviations".

"inaccuracies" are not necessarily a bad thing. If it had been EXACTLY like the book, it probably wouldn't have been a good movie. Good book does not equal good movie. If you want the movie to be exactly the same as the book in every respect, then there's no point to making it because it'll never be as good as sitting down and reading it. A movie has different rules to what makes it good or bad than books do.
Yes. I agree completely! Almost... Especially in Prince Caspian's case. I think most of the changes in the movie were honestly to make a better story. (I say most because there were definitely some changes that should have been left out) I said this earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again. I really think Prince Caspian was one of the more boring book in the series, and watching it as a movie would have been even more boring. I mean, how exciting would it really have been to see Lucy and Susan riding around on Aslan's back, going through town and seeing little boys turn into pigs? Think of what critics would have said if they had left out the extra action scene of the castle being raided and added a parade through town instead.

Now, that said, it's obvious that there are some changes that would be completely awful. Like the example it gave in the Narnia Web about Eustace.
They said they had talked about having him fight a sea creature to earn the right to shed his dragon skin, instead of having Aslan peel the skin off as an analogy to God's grace. That would have completely ruined one of the main reasons that Eustace became a dragon in the first place, and totally ignored the biblical analogy.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Besides the fact Lucy is in only 90 pages of a near 200 paged book, with Susan barely making 50. ;) The final battle is a paragraph.

Thankfully they bombed the idea about Eustace. It would've trashed the point. :-k
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein