What books are you reading?

In the same vein as movie/music threads...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

The book I'm reading right now is Warbreaker by Brandon Saderson. It's pretty good and I'm really enjoying it....and that's saying something for someone like me who's not a big reader. =p
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Anemone wrote:The book I'm reading right now is Warbreaker by Brandon Saderson. It's pretty good and I'm really enjoying it....and that's saying something for someone like me who's not a big reader. =p
Second favorite author. \:D/ If you like that one all his other Cosmere books are amazing.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Mark of Distinction by Jessica Dotta, it was excellent. I can't wait for the final book to see what happens. Up next for me is An Unexpected Match by Gayle Roper.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:I finished Mark of Distinction by Jessica Dotta, it was excellent. I can't wait for the final book to see what happens.
I've been meaning to read those books! They look really good, but I haven't gotten around to actually reading them yet.

Yesterday I read "Love in the Balance" by Regina Jennings and now I'm reading "Caught in the Middle" by the same author. I read the first book in the series ("Sixty Acres and a Bride") a long time ago and really liked it, and then for some reason I gave it away, but when the second book ("Love in the Balance") came out, I decided that I wanted to read the first book again before I read the second one, and then time kept passing and I bought the third book ("Caught in the Middle") and then I still never either bought the first book again or found another way to read it, and then Regina Jennings came out with another book that I just bought that looks really good, but I decided that I couldn't read it until I read the other books, just in case they were connected, despite the new book technically being part of a new series. I decided that I remembered enough about the first one to read the second and third books and should just keep going and re-read the first one some other time.

That is my super long and convoluted explanation about my book selection over the last few days. I sound crazy even to me when I type out my thought process about this. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm currently reading The Pelican Bride by Beth White. It is the first book in her Gulf Coast Chronicles. First time reading this author.
Progress on Ms. White's book has been slow because I'm also reading a non fiction book: Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy by Karen Abbott. It is about Belle Boyd, Emma Edmonds, Rose O'Neale Greenhow and Elizabeth Van Lew. Two were spies for the Union, two for the Confederacy. A very good book so far.
Last edited by Laurie on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laurie wrote:I'm currently reading The Pelican Bride by Beth White. It is the first book in her Gulf Coast Chronicles. First time reading this author.
Yay! \:D/ I'm really glad that you're reading that book, because Beth White is one of my favourite authors, and I have that book sitting on my shelf waiting for me to read it. Most of her books are contemporary, not historical, but she does both really well, in my opinion. If you're looking to read more by her, "Controlling Interest" was the first book of hers that I ever read, and it's still my favourite. I found out later that "Off the Record" should technically be read first (one of those "major character becomes minor character in the next book" situations) but you could read it as a standalone.

My next book (contrary to the impression that my previous enthusiastic paragraph may have given) ;) is "A Most Inconvenient Marriage" by Regina Jennings. I just read two of her other books, so it felt like I should keep going and read her newest book before I read anything else.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished the Karen Abbott book, it was excellent. I highly recommend it. Up next for me in non fiction is "Mr. President" George Washington and the Making of the Nation's Highest Office by Harlow Giles Unger.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I just started "Treacherous Intent" by Camy Tang. I really enjoy her books!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

On Saturday I finished the Harlow Giles Unger book about George Washington, very good book. Last night I finished Pelican Brides by Beth White also very good. I've started Finding Mercy by Michael Landon Jr (he is the famous actor's son) and Cindy Kelley, it is the second book in their Mercy Medallion trilogy.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Just finished The Optimist's Daughter by Eudora Welty. It was a bit confusing. I'm definitely going to reread it sometime.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Currently reading Chateau of Secrets by Melanie Dobson. It is a contemporary/historical. The historical is set during WWII. Very good so far.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "The Princess Spy" by Melanie Dickerson. Like all the books I've read by her, it's a kind-of-a-fairy-tale-but-based-in-a-real-historical-time-period kind of book. This fairy tale took me a little while to figure out (some are more obvious than others) but I was quite proud of myself when I figured out that this one is influenced by the story of the Princess and the Frog Prince. Very interesting! It's listed as YA fiction, but it's one of those books where the label isn't the only group who could enjoy the story.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished The Forgiven by Marta Perry, it was excellent. I loved it. Cannot wait for the second book. Up next for me is Herb of Grace by Adina Senft. It is the first book in her new A Healing Grace series/trilogy. I have read her books before and she is a favorite of mine.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet (written to supplement the youtube series Lizzie Bennet Diaries)

Till the end of the line.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

My bible. =p and something on the civil rights movement. I have $50 in amazon gift cards, so I hope to be getting a couple books with that. =D
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Herb of Grace by Adina Senft last night, excellent. I have started Love's Fortune by Laura Frantz. It is the third and final book in her The Ballantyne Legacy trilogy.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading a book called "The Dragon of Lonely Island" by Rebecca Rupp. It's more of a children's chapter book, but I'm reading it with a child, so I think that should be okay. ;) It's a nice story so far, where three children find a dragon with three heads and each dragon has a story from the past to tell them. The twelve-year-old I'm reading with is really enjoying the story (he loves dragons) and I'm enjoying the book too.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

I am currently reading Game Changer, by Margaret Peterson Haddix(My all-time favorite author). I'm loving it, but I always love her books. :p
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I'm reading "Love Comes Calling" by Siri Mitchell. It takes place during the 1920's and the main character is a lot of fun! The writing style is very entertaining. I was hooked right from the start and I'm going to have to resist the temptation to stay up way too late reading tonight!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I finished Love's Fortune, excellent. Up next for me is The Well by Stephanie Landsem. This is the first book in her Living Waters trilogy/series. First time reading this author.