US Election 2012 Discussion Topic

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

I cast my fake internet ballot for:

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden
21%
Governor Willard Mitt Romney and Congressman Paul Ryan
33%
Governor Gary Johnson and whoever he is running with
7%
I tried to vote for Al Gore, but the butterfly ballot confused me and I voted for Pat Buchanan
No votes
Dementia-addled Clint Eastwood
2%
Random third party person no one else cares about
2%
RON PAUL AND AYN RAND!!!!!!
9%
Ross Perot and Admiral Stockdale
No votes
An Ewok and Admiral Ackbar
14%
Top & EB
12%

Total votes: 43

fiddlergirlsusy
Just visiting

Post by fiddlergirlsusy »

The Top Crusader wrote:Anyway, a little more on topic... Bill Clinton is doing a good job with his speech at the DNC as I type... seriously if he was the typical democrat politician I would give a lot more thought to their party... he's pretty reasonable. I remember thinking he was THE EVILEST LIBERAL PRESIDENT EVER when he was in office but now he seems a pretty chill moderate dude basically.
Maybe that's because Obama is so much worse!! ;)
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

~JCGJ~ wrote:All I heard was basically, "I want to live in a country where women have the right to kill their babies. Where no-one is "intollerent" to anybody, and where God doesn't have a place in society.
God Bless you everyone!"
If this was what you heard... did you actually hear what was spoken, or did you just hear what you expected from the speaker? Our own personal feelings tend to influence how we feel, regardless of the actual words. Just food for thought.

Barriers for Active Listening | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8066022_barrie ... quote]Bias toward a speaker can include judging a speaker's mannerisms, appearance or background. This can distract listeners from the content of a message by focusing more on the messenger than what is actually being said. Listeners should make an effort to put the message in the forefront of their minds and ignore the characteristics of the speaker.[/quote]
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

Naw but I heard the same thing in Obama's speeach, "God bless America, you have the right to choose who you want to love. You have the right to choose to have an abortion. God bless America but He doesn't have to mess with our rights."
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I only heard a clip, and I think it was from Obama, and I heard basically what JCGJ said about abortion. I also heard a woman who declared the incredible anomaly that "rape is rape". (I know she didn't mean it the way I jokingly took it, but I make the same comments about pro-homosexuality slogans. :p)

I voted for Top and EB, but it was really close between them and Ewokbar.

I probably wouldn't be voting for Obama (if I were of age to do so, anyway) simply because of the social issues and because of the poor decisions the White House is churning out. I don't know much about either candidate (I don't generally touch politics with a ten-foot pole unless it directly crosses over with history), so I can't really "discuss" until I really take a look at them both, but I thought I'd show my conservative support. :p

Double posts combined: Musical Shutterbug
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Democrats give better speeches than Republicans.
I want to hear a speech where they address the problems our nation has, and they actually present viable ways to fix these problems, without shifting the blame on someone else, or complimenting someone who has done no good for our country...
Well then DEFINITELY don't go listening to any Republican speeches. \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I really, really loved the prayer that Miss Jena gave at the end of the DNC's first night. It was exactly the message that America needed to hear. It was truly a beautiful thing :)
*insert provocative quote here*
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Ability to make a speech is a big plus factor for any candidate, but what really concerns me is whether the candidate actually DOES anything based on these lovely speeches. And sadly, with the state of American politics as it is, the answer is generally "no." So speeches really don't impress me. Actions impress me and, in that arena, both parties fail miserably.

Whether it's hope, change and peace, or prosperity, jobs and free markets, in the end it's really all just a load of nonsense. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Sherlock wrote:Ability to make a speech is a big plus factor for any candidate, but what really concerns me is whether the candidate actually DOES anything based on these lovely speeches. And sadly, with the state of American politics as it is, the answer is generally "no." So speeches really don't impress me. Actions impress me and, in that arena, both parties fail miserably.

Whether it's hope, change and peace, or prosperity, jobs and free markets, in the end it's really all just a load of nonsense. ;)
I agree 100%
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

without shifting the blame on someone else,

Romney blames Obama. Obama blames Bush. Continual cycle that will never end. I'd love to see Romney and Obama play musical chairs... because that's what they do. \:D/

Also, I listened to the convention and I thought Obama's speech was really well done. Stirred up the base, which was the point. I did NOT hear women want to kill babies. They'd never use such language in the first place.
Last edited by Baragon on Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:I really, really loved the prayer that Miss Jena gave at the end of the DNC's first night. It was exactly the message that America needed to hear. It was truly a beautiful thing :)
My claim to fame is that she went to college in the city I live in and she is good friends with someone I know! \:D/
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I only watched about fifteen minutes of it........I couldn't take it.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I intended to watch the speeches, and then I forgot. :(

Anyway, this picture that I saw on Facebook sums up politics perfectly. \:D/

But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Man if only someone had started a topic about general discussion of the election... >_>
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

The Top Crusader wrote:Man if only someone had started a topic about general discussion of the election... >_>
Yeah, why didn't you? :noway:
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Kait wrote:Democrats give better speeches than Republicans.
You definitely didn't hear Paul Ryan's speech. Epicly awesome!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Peachey Keen wrote:

Except for the fact none of it was factual! \:D/
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I think we should overthrow the government and take over. \:D/

Anyway, I intend to vote for Romney and Ryan. I'm hoping they may actually try to reduce our deficit, although I won't be surprised if that doesn't happen lol.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

The Top Crusader wrote:Anyway, a little more on topic... Bill Clinton is doing a good job with his speech at the DNC as I type... seriously if he was the typical democrat politician I would give a lot more thought to their party... he's pretty reasonable. I remember thinking he was THE EVILEST LIBERAL PRESIDENT EVER when he was in office but now he seems a pretty chill moderate dude basically.
Now that he hasn't been the president for awhile, I think everyone can look back retrospectively and concede that he did a pretty good job. Plus, his presidency was right before/when everyone started getting so super extremist, so he's such a middle of the road guy as compared to how today's politicians are forced to be.

If Top and EB were on the ballot, I would totally vote for them. Instead I voted for people that actually have a chance. \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Kait wrote:
Peachey Keen wrote:

Except for the fact none of it was factual! \:D/
Which is politics as usual. \:D/

But, I do think the Obama people should use the GM plant to their advantage... he should come out and be like "The Republicans want to paint me as a big government guy but I didn't demand the plan to be reopened."
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Baragon wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Man if only someone had started a topic about general discussion of the election... >_>
Yeah, why didn't you? :noway:
My wizardry has merged the topics.

And LOL at fact checking the fact checkers.

But Romney was right about his plan creating jobs.