MUSICAL INSPIRATON

...I haz none. :(

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:Actually, I have like... a zillion instrumental songs I made. If you want, I'll send you links to download them.

And I have 44 of those songs \:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

"Without a Sound" by Edison Glass - I like the lyrical content... I need time to try and wrap my head around this. A step in the right direction, for sure.

"Evil Genius" by eleventyseven - I own that song. \:D/ I still can't get over the fact that those are robot hamsters in the music videos and not robot squirrels. :x

The Genesis Prologue by Sons of God - A bit too depressing and edgy, I think. I'm trying to phase out music that's like, "we're a Christian band but we're going to sing like there's no hope or peace in the world" all the time. Who even decided that emo was an acceptable Christian genre? (No offense to the music. :P It sounded fine.)

And Steve, I just said I'm laying off the instrumental for a while. ;) But thanks for the offer.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Just heard this song "Fire Escape" by Civil Twilight on the radio. I really like it. Has a more indie feel than most mainstream rock bands. :yes: edit: Woah, and they're apparently Christians. Awesome. I can totally hear it in the lyrics. I think I'm liking this band. \:D/
The Genesis Prologue by Sons of God - A bit too depressing and edgy, I think. I'm trying to phase out music that's like, "we're a Christian band but we're going to sing like there's no hope or peace in the world" all the time. Who even decided that emo was an acceptable Christian genre? (No offense to the music. It sounded fine.)
Read Ecclesiastes? ;) "Why are we so alone when our God reminds us He's so very close? Why are we so afraid when our God gave us promises He holds us in grace?" Not quite what I would call emo.
Last edited by ric on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I can't remember, did you want instrumental or vocal?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I have a song for you, Amy. \:D/ It's a little dark and heavy, but if you ever feel like writing a tragic, dystopian story, then maybe it can help you.

End of the Underground -- Hawthorne Heights

(I wish to point out that this is the only song I have heard by this band; therefore, I by no means vouch for the rest of their music.)
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Superman by Five for Fighting. Always makes me tear up and can make a good character backstory.
Stand and My Wish by Rascal Flatts. Just sweet songs about life.
Celtic Thunder anything, but especially Heartland and Caledonia.
How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack.
Safe and Sound or Innocent by Taylor Swift
Heart Like Stone by Greyson Chance

Hoep you like some of these!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

"End of the Underground" by Hawthorne Heights - I like it. It's a little screamy, but it's not too bad. It's gothic, but it's the awesome poetic sort of gothic, not all like, "my life is an empty pit of nothingness so feel my pain". Nice pick!

"Superman" by Five for Fighting
- I own it. Oddly enough, it reminds me of superman. :-

"Stand" and "My Wish" by Rascal Flatts
- Not sci-fi at all. Sorry.

"Heartland" by Celtic Thunder
- Maaaaybe. I've been mulling over an AU ancient warrior prophecy type story, so it almost fits that, but generally I'm not too big on Celtic music. (I don't understand half the words. :( ) "Caledonia" doesn't do it for me, though.

How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack - No more instrumental music!! (Please.)

"Safe and Sound" or "Innocent" by Taylor Swift - Own and love the first one (Hunger Games, woo!) and I'll hang onto that second one for consideration. I have a love-hate thing with Taylor Swift.

"Heart Like Stone" by Greyson Chance - Justin 2.0. :x As a guideline, I generally reject anything that makes blatant references to a party and/or a messy breakup. There is no room for clingy ex-boyfriends in the future.

"Fire Escape" by Civil Twilight
- Oooh, another good pick. And I know the Bible is depressing too, but it ends on a hopeful note. ;) I just think songs should generally do the same.
Whitty Whit wrote:I can't remember, did you want instrumental or vocal?
VOCAL! I need lyrics! Eerie, poetic, dark-but-not-too-dark lyrics! And yes, I know you're trying to get to me. I just thought I'd clarify again for everyone else.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Amethystic wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:I can't remember, did you want instrumental or vocal?
VOCAL! I need lyrics! Eerie, poetic, dark-but-not-too-dark lyrics! And yes, I know you're trying to get to me. I just thought I'd clarify again for everyone else.
Oh. Sorry. I honestly couldn't remember and wanted to find out so I wouldn't post something you were automatically going to ignore. :anxious:

I'll pm you my findings. ;)

Edit: I'm so sorry for not paying close attention. You just said no instrumental 2 posts above mine. I apologize.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

"Fire Escape" by Civil Twilight - Oooh, another good pick. And I know the Bible is depressing too, but it ends on a hopeful note. I just think songs should generally do the same.
Yay! \:D/

Well, I don't think songs have to end on a hopeful note, but I believe cds should be judged as a whole, and I do prefer it to end on a more joyous note. As Genesis Prologue was a mere three tracks, it didn't have much oppurtunity. :P But if you like the sound, Sons of God is now SONS (all caps) and they have a new full-length, Keep Quiet, which I have not yet heard, but it has gotten raving reviews.

edit: Ohhh, you're looking for inspiration from the lyrics, I see....well then, perhaps "Don't Panic," "Trouble," or "Spies" by Coldplay might be nice. ("Spies" is a masterpiece lyrically imo, because it's sooo dreary and depressing but somehow ends on a happy note, if you pay close attention.)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Whitty Whit wrote:Oh. Sorry. I honestly couldn't remember and wanted to find out so I wouldn't post something you were automatically going to ignore. :anxious:

I'll pm you my findings. ;)

Edit: I'm so sorry for not paying close attention. You just said no instrumental 2 posts above mine. I apologize.
Oh, snap, that's twice this week I thought you were mocking me and you were just asking. :anxious: Sorry about that. But, I mean, I did say it multiple times, so...
Pip wrote:Well, I don't think songs have to end on a hopeful note, but I believe cds should be judged as a whole, and I do prefer it to end on a more joyous note. As Genesis Prologue was a mere three tracks, it didn't have much oppurtunity. :P But if you like the sound, Sons of God is now SONS (all caps) and they have a new full-length, Keep Quiet, which I have not yet heard, but it has gotten raving reviews.

edit: Ohhh, you're looking for inspiration from the lyrics, I see....well then, perhaps "Don't Panic," "Trouble," or "Spies" by Coldplay might be nice. ("Spies" is a masterpiece lyrically imo, because it's sooo dreary and depressing but somehow ends on a happy note, if you pay close attention.)
I agree with you to an extent, but I still thought Genesis Prologue was too heavy on the hopelessness. Sadness is one thing, wallowing in depression and despair is completely different. I still like some sad songs, like "Revenge" by Switchfoot; it's somber and sad throughout, but it's about redemption. And I'll check out that album you mentioned.

Ah, Coldplay. \:D/ They're one of those bands I enjoy listening to yet I don't listen to them too often. I must change that.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Journey does some cool stuff. ;) Don't Stop believing, Faithfully, to name some.
Trying to think of any cool stuff. I don't usually listen to music unless I stumble upon it. As I mentioned in your last music thread, I suggested Glee's cover of Friday. ;) Pretty epic stuff.
#FOREVERKITTY
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Anything by Fleet Foxes works for me \:D/

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Hippie wrote:Anything by Fleet Foxes works for me \:D/
Yes. \:D/

Try "The Shrine / An Argument." :yes:
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

There's a band called M83, and they have this wonderfully catchy song called "Midnight City."

Psapp (that's pronounced "SAP") is a nice band as well. One of my favorites from them is called "Part Like Waves." It's a whimsical, nautical tune that will get stuck in your head if you're not careful. (As a warning, Psapp is a little out there. There's nothing bad about them, their music is just a little more... Odd, I guess is a good word, than most bands.)

I have several more suggestions, just let me know if you want any more.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

Pip wrote:
The Hippie wrote:Anything by Fleet Foxes works for me \:D/
Yes. \:D/

Try "The Shrine / An Argument." :yes:
^This guy.

Also Helplessness Blues and Mykonos are amazing.

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Brave Saint Saturn

You will love them to death, I'm sure.
he/him | a little stinker.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Jellyrox (side project of Eleventyseven frontman) have a new album for "free" download here: http://thejellyrox.bandcamp.com/

It's pretty good from what I've heard.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

"Don't Stop Believing: by Journey - One of the most overrated songs ever, it seems to me. :P
"The Shrine/An Argument" by Fleet Foxes - That music video reminds me of the book we're reading in my English class--Lord of the Flies. O__o (That's not a good thing.)
"Midnight City" by M83 - The song itself is pretty interesting, but it's the music video I love to death. It makes the song ten times cooler.
"Part Like Waves" by Psapp - Interesting, interesting. And don't worry, I don't mind odd lyrics. (Owl City. <3)
Brave Saint Saturn - I kinda poked into their stuff, but I guess they sort of faded from awareness. Could someone re-list some highlights?
Jellyrox - Hmmm, definitely worth investigating.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Cough Syrup by YoungtheGiant.
#FOREVERKITTY
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Amethystic wrote:"Don't Stop Believing: by Journey - One of the most overrated songs ever, it seems to me. :P
"The Shrine/An Argument" by Fleet Foxes - That music video reminds me of the book we're reading in my English class--Lord of the Flies. O__o (That's not a good thing.)
"Midnight City" by M83 - The song itself is pretty interesting, but it's the music video I love to death. It makes the song ten times cooler.
"Part Like Waves" by Psapp - Interesting, interesting. And don't worry, I don't mind odd lyrics. (Owl City. <3)
Brave Saint Saturn - I kinda poked into their stuff, but I guess they sort of faded from awareness. Could someone re-list some highlights?
Jellyrox - Hmmm, definitely worth investigating.
Brave Saint Saturn Highlights IMO

Space Robot 5 (From So Far From Home)
Shadow of Def (Joke song) (From So Far From Home)
The Sun Also Rises (From The Light Of Things Hoped For)
Enamel (From The Light Of Things Hoped For)
Titan (From The Light Of Things Hoped For)
Daylight (From The Light Of Things Hoped For)
Here is The News (From Anti Meridian)
Starling (From Anti Meridian)
Blessed are the Land Mines (From Anti Meridian)
All was just beneath the Dawn (From Anti Meridian)
Invictus (From Anti Meridian)