How many of us are PC users?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

*uses PC*

:yes:

My earliest memories are of playing (a very early edition of) Oregon Trail, playing educational computer games, and then getting my first website 5 or 6 years ago. It was very exciting.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Chandler wrote:I'm a PC user! There is an old PC around here that I've made use of whenever I want to play Age of Empires or games like Sherlock Holmes or Nancy Drew... but now I just play them on a Mac. :P
Age of Empires II and its expansion were awesome, but they really botched it when they created the third edition. :noway:[/quote]
*loves playing AoE3* :noway:

Do you play Age II online, Trent? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:Do you play Age II online, Trent? :-k
I did... but that was a very, very long time ago and I don't want to talk about it. :noway:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

KODY 105 wrote:
Tyler wrote:Also, does anyone remember those PC learning games where you were the guy in a blue jacket and you had to answer questions to get parts to build stuff like a blimp and such? And there was another one where you had to take pictures of the evil robots or something.
The Learning Company's "Gizmos and Gadgets." The pictures of evil robots were in "Midnight Rescue" I think.
I totally loved "Midnight Rescue" as a kid! \:D/ I have many fond recollections of playing for hours on our super old computer that we got rid of ten or so years ago. I miss the fun games on there. :( We had lots of good kids games on it.

I'm a generally happy PC user. :D I haven't had any serious problems, and while I might consider looking at Macs whenever my current laptop needs to be replaced, I will probably end up with another PC. :)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Operation Neptune! I loved that game. I can still beat the very last sectors of both difficulty levels!

I also appreciate Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion and Oregon Trail! I had OT 3 and 5. Do any of you remember the other Trail games?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Ooh, Gizmos and Gadgets! I used to love playing that game.. \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Johnny
Local Conspiracy theorist
Local Conspiracy theorist

Post by Johnny »

Oh gosh, I love Oregon Trail. I use a pc and I managed to find an old version and download it to my lappy. I play it every now and then on long rides when I need something to make me feel smart! \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I liked all the Magic School Bus games. Especially the solar system one.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Anna><> wrote:I liked all the Magic School Bus games. Especially the solar system one.
Oh, wow. I remember that one, too.

The Magic School Bus Explores the Human Body was a personal favorite of mine - I always wondered what it'd be like if the school bus exited through Arnold's eyes. :noway:
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Anna><> wrote:I liked all the Magic School Bus games. Especially the solar system one.

The Magic School Bus Explores the Human Body was a personal favorite of mine - I always wondered what it'd be like if the school bus exited through Arnold's eyes. :noway:
I liked the game in the solar system one where you could bounce and have all those jet packs and stuff.
But I also liked the rainforest one a lot too.

I don't remember the human body one...
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I remember Gizmos and Gadgets! Also some other game - I think it was called Troggle Trouble? And, of course, the ever popular Oregon Trail!

(Of course I'm probably getting a few confused, as at least one of the above was played on the mac, before we got the family Compaq. ;))

But anyway, yeah, I have a PC that I built sometime in my Sophomore year of college. It was an AMD 64 machine that I gutted two years ago and converted into an Intel. It has all those wonderful homebuilt PC quirks, but most of them can either be cured with a swift kick or a screwdriver. ;)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Wow, what a trip down memory lane! I remember our first PC - a tiny Windows 95 that I was allowed to play Solitaire on. Ahh, first email, first AIM screen name... :-

I'm still a PC user, and nothing has happened to turn me against them, but I'm always a bit awed whenever I get to use a Mac... and features like Garage Band and all the other user-friendly audio/video/visual stuff makes me a bit wistful.

But back to PCs. :inlove:
Sherlock wrote:I remember Gizmos and Gadgets! Also some other game - I think it was called Troggle Trouble? And, of course, the ever popular Oregon Trail!
So much love for Gizmos and Gadgets! \:D/ No one ever knows what it is when I mention it. :( It was one of my favorite games growing up. Sadly, I can't get it to work on either of our Windows XPs. :( (Any tips?)

Where in the World Is Carmen San Diego? is another fun one, and I was a fan of Oregon Trail, the fourth edition... even though the main map/journey screen never worked, and I had to stare into blackness while listening to my partners complain that they didn't have enough fresh vegetables, or to my wagon crossing a river and wondering if we were going to make it. I purchased the fifth edition a year or so ago, but it just isn't the same since you don't get to pick/interact with your trailmates.

Let's see... there was also the amazing Rollercoaster Tycoon and Frogger, and I have to give a shout-out to American Girls Premiere. I just loved making those plays, even though they had absolutely no dialogue because we didn't have a microphone. I got really creative with those "mimed" plays, though. *wistfully remembers the musket firing and every character falling down at once* \:D/

While I'm being comprehensive, I also played Hoyle games and Myst at my grandparents'... until my mom became convinced that the latter was evil and made me stop. :anxious:

*ponders* Yeah, those were the main ones, other than Solitaire and Hearts. I went through a Pinball phase in high school too. The main games I play now are Tetris and Pacman. :yes:

Hmmm, maybe I missed my calling. \:D/
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LizzieG wrote:Where in the World Is Carmen San Diego? is another fun one
:inlove:
*enjoyed several versions of Carmen San Diego*
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

LizzieG wrote:
Sherlock wrote:I remember Gizmos and Gadgets! Also some other game - I think it was called Troggle Trouble? And, of course, the ever popular Oregon Trail!
So much love for Gizmos and Gadgets! \:D/ No one ever knows what it is when I mention it. :( It was one of my favorite games growing up. Sadly, I can't get it to work on either of our Windows XPs. :( (Any tips?)
Try DosBox. It's a free download-- just search for it. Try abandonware or DOS game sites. Supposedly DosBox will allow an old DOS game to work properly, but I haven't gotten it working for me yet. But G&G works for me without it...

I remember seeing Oregon Trail 4 at a friend's house when I only had 3.0, and I was impressed with the 3D-looking main screen that LizzieG never got to see. I was given Oregon Trail 5 a year or so later, and was disappointed that I didn't get quite that "interactivity" that OT4 had.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Trent DeWhite wrote:

I loved that too. \:D/
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

LizzieG wrote:While I'm being comprehensive, I also played Hoyle games and Myst at my grandparents'... until my mom became convinced that the latter was evil and made me stop. :anxious:
Which is ironic, because the creators of myst were a couple of preacher's kids, who weren't afraid to share their faith. I read about them in Breakaway Magazine (a teen guy's magazine which used to be published by Focus on the Family.) :yes:

KODY 105 wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
Try DosBox. It's a free download-- just search for it. Try abandonware or DOS game sites. Supposedly DosBox will allow an old DOS game to work properly, but I haven't gotten it working for me yet. But G&G works for me without it...
I echo the usage of dosbox. It's an excellent dos emulator which I have on two of my PCs, as well as on my Wii.

To run a game, you first need to mount the drive the game is on using the following command:

At the command prompt type "mount c c:\****"
**** = the name of the folder where you have your games stored. For easiest access, place your dos games in a folder in the root directory.
Then just type in the name of the executable program you use to run the game (be sure to include .exe at the end of the game's name.) Type dir/w to get a list of all the files in the your current directory, if you aren't sure of the exact filename.

For a more thorough tutorial, try this handy link!
Not dead yet.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Yey PC.. How I love you MS DOS :inlove:

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

David O wrote:
KODY 105 wrote: Try DosBox. It's a free download-- just search for it. Try abandonware or DOS game sites. Supposedly DosBox will allow an old DOS game to work properly, but I haven't gotten it working for me yet. But G&G works for me without it...
I echo the usage of dosbox. It's an excellent dos emulator which I have on two of my PCs, as well as on my Wii.

To run a game, you first need to mount the drive the game is on using the following command:

At the command prompt type "mount c c:\****"
**** = the name of the folder where you have your games stored. For easiest access, place your dos games in a folder in the root directory.
Then just type in the name of the executable program you use to run the game (be sure to include .exe at the end of the game's name.) Type dir/w to get a list of all the files in the your current directory, if you aren't sure of the exact filename.

For a more thorough tutorial, try this handy link!
Thanks, guys! :D I have an old Railroad Tycoon game that we can only play on my dad's old computer because of course none of our newer ones have DOS, but with this I could play it on my laptop! \:D/ That would be totally fun! We got a newer version that I could play, plus there's a different version you can get online, but I'm just used to the DOS one that I played for hours and hours when I was younger, and I don't want to play any other version! I'll be sure to check out the details of the link soon - thanks, David O. :D
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

LizzieG wrote: Let's see... there was also the amazing Rollercoaster Tycoon
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon! I like that one rollercoaster that you could make faster and shoot people into the lake and drown them. I liked Zoo Tycoon too!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Anna><> wrote:
LizzieG wrote: Let's see... there was also the amazing Rollercoaster Tycoon
I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon! I like that one rollercoaster that you could make faster and shoot people into the lake and drown them.

Sounds like a Communist plot. :anxious: