Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed in accident

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I feel sorry for his wife and kids. But, if you ask me, he got what was coming to him...
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Raskolnikov wrote:
Catspaw wrote:How sad. :( I saw a Yahoo headline about this, and I was definitely shocked! After all the dangerous kinds of things he's done, it's so odd to hear of his death from a stingray, instead of a crocodile or something. It must be hard, since he does have kids. :(
Well, it kind of makes sense. He knew alot about crocks and snakes and stuff, so he was probably safer around them just 'cuz he could tell when to get out of the way. Something like a stingray was probably more of an unknown and it caught him off guard :(
Just wanted to clear up some misinformation.

He was killed while shooting a documentary about sea creatures. While it isn't rare for people to be stung by a stingray's barb, it is incredibly incredibly rare to be killed by one. He and the ray were positioned just right, and the barb pierced his heart.

And yes, this is sad. To be honest, I've been waiting for years to hear this news, as it was just a matter of time, but it was still a hard thing to hear.

edit-Ive been reading around, and it does appear this show did have something to do with his daughter.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

One of those moments when you remember where you were and the shock you felt when you heard it. :mecry:
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

Evil Chick wrote:I feel sorry for his wife and kids. But, if you ask me, he got what was coming to him...
I disagree it will a total accident had nonethink to do with him
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

It was weird. I was secluded because I was working at a camp for the weekend and I was driving home and heard it on the news. Just surreal.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

Pc Pro wrote:
Evil Chick wrote:I feel sorry for his wife and kids. But, if you ask me, he got what was coming to him...
Regardless how "Nonethink" it had to do with him, it's obvious EC meant he does so much dangerous stuff that it was bound to happen.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

kellyj wrote:I read one the internet that dying from a stingray is apparently very rare. He died while filming a segment for his daughters upcoming tv show.
Yeah. He was stung in the heart. It's sad.

OK...this isn't a complaint, but I KNOW I posted this in Finneman's Market before this one was posted. But the topic is completely gone. Not locked or anything, but erased. It's weird...:-s
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I remember seeing that topic when it had only one other post, and this thread had several, and there was also another topic of this nature posted in FM, and I know that I saw that they had both been locked, so Dr. Blackgaard probably decided to clean up his board and remove all those unsightly locked topics! \:D/
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

Xiao wrote:
Pc Pro wrote:
Regardless how "Nonethink" it had to do with him, it's obvious EC meant he does so much dangerous stuff that it was bound to happen.
well you might be right, he was a great guy a true aussie :)
ajamj
Older Than Dirt
Older Than Dirt

Post by ajamj »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't had much news the past few days, but what I had heard was that it was a total accident, that he was diving in and didn't know the ray was there.

EC is entitled to her opinion. I can't tell you how many times I thought "That fool is going to get himself killed!". It's just too sad.
I'll be praying for him and his family.

Go away bad dream! Boo!
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

no they were filming it but it was a accident
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Catspaw wrote:I remember seeing that topic when it had only one other post, and this thread had several, and there was also another topic of this nature posted in FM, and I know that I saw that they had both been locked, so Dr. Blackgaard probably decided to clean up his board and remove all those unsightly locked topics! \:D/
Ah. I guess I just thought he might leave something like that alone. Oh well.
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

btw his last words where "crocs rule!!"
Macnut
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

That is so sad. :mecry:

I was so shocked when I heard the other day. It was very surreal.
mel_ice
Lurker

Post by mel_ice »

I loved his show! and his son, and the movie, it's so sad that he died. :boohoo: I mean comon a sting ray! I thought it be like a poisonous snake or something! :dumb:
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Well, he knew so much about the dangerous creatures, and how to avoid being hurt by them, so he didn't expect to be attacked by something as common as a stingray.

It really is very sad.
Pc Pro
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Pc Pro »

I think it was cuzs he knows Crocs and snakes like thatt back of his hand but not so well stingrays
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Pc Pro wrote:btw his last words where "crocs rule!!"
From descriptions I've heard and read about he went unconscience underwater and then died a short time later. I don't think he had time to say any last words.

I know that he has said on many occasions that when he did go he hoped it was the biggest croc he could find and he hoped the cameras would be rolling.

Well the camera was rolling when the Stringray got him and people think there's a very good chance the footage will be released sometime.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Pc Pro wrote:I think it was cuzs he knows Crocs and snakes like thatt back of his hand but not so well stingrays
It wasn't a lack of knowledge about stingrays, just a freak accident.
LiviNoel
I've been here a bit

Post by LiviNoel »

He will be incredibly missed. I remember friends who loved to imitate him. He was always so cheerful and slightly over the top. It was great. I read and heard that the stingray was startled and the barb at the end of its tail punctured Steve's heart. I also heard that his daughter was present.

I cannot imagine what his family is going through, especially his young kids. How confusing things will be for them for years to come as they try to understand how and why is happened. He had a risky profession, but he seemed invincible to so many people because he was sooo good at his job. It just doesn't seem to do the man justice the way he died...

prayers go out to his family for the time that lie ahead of them.