My first paid animation gig!

Star Wars Robot Chicken style

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Ferder
Pilgrim

My first paid animation gig!

Post by Ferder »

After three years away from stop-motion (you may remember the LEGO films I used to post here), I was contracted to make a Star Wars themedstop-motion corporate video by a local software company. The original plan was to use LEGO, but it was too difficult to find a Darth Vader minifig (I guess it's all Clone Wars in the stores).
So we went for a Robot-Chicken approach instead.
Youtube 1:36min
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Nice I could of sold you mine for a couple mil. ;)
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

That. Was. Awesome. How much time did it take to make it?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ferder! \:D/ Yay! Thanks for dropping by to share your amazing video with us. Very cool! I enjoyed the whole thing, but Chewbacca's "cameo" at the end was a nice way to end. :lol: It's good to hear that you're still making movies, and that you're getting paid for it these days!
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

That. Was. Awesome. How much time did it take to make it?
Thanks!
I had 13 days from when I first got the project till when it was finished, but I wasn't able to even use all those days.
In the end it took one day to write the script and create the life-action previsualization video, three days to build the sets (all I could do while I recovered from wisdom tooth surgery). One day to set up the studio and test out the camera and animation software. Then just over two full days to do all the animation (about 28 hours to capture 1 minutes's worth). And another full day and a half (including a nearly all-night session) to finish the editing and effects. Much credit goes to our composer who created the John Williams sound-alike for us in one night just in time for the video's delivery the next morning.
Chewbacca's "cameo" at the end was a nice way to end
Every time I show people the video they always start to turn away, thinking that it's over, but Chewbacca usually catches them by surprise.

By the way, the video is part of a technology expo contest here in Vancouver, Canada. It would be awesome if you guys helped me and the team out by giving it a vote. Just go the page, click on "Vote for this Entry," and log in through your Facebook account. It's that easy.
Last edited by Ferder on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I watched your video and voted for the Launch@Grow thing, Ferder. Very well done! What a great thing to be payed to do. \:D/

Chewbacca decided to hide himself on my first viewing. I'm glad you all pointed him out; otherwise, I wouldn't have gone back and rewatched! ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Wow! That's awesome!The video was great! :D
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Nice Lego backgrounds! \:D/